Grand Prix Analysis (Men), Winners/Losers | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Analysis (Men), Winners/Losers

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
1/5 is 22 points right? That is the same as the point Murakami gets last GPF. (Patrick is 1/5 too iirc, but he is special case because of TEB situation) It is still a slim chance but it is not none. Shoma and Jason looks like they will likely be at GPF. Unless both disaster-ed, Shoma should get to the podium at CoR and Jason at NHK. Should be enough for them.

I don't think using last GPF qualification is a good way to look at it because last year's was skewed by the non-result at TEB. Several skaters were damaged there that even the supposedly "fair" method of GPF qualification was not really fair.

mcq

Record Breaker
I don't think using last GPF qualification is a good way to look at it because last year's was skewed by the non-result at TEB. Several skaters were damaged there that even the supposedly "fair" method of GPF qualification was not really fair.

Well, yeah but the circumstances that time was kind of a dilemma anyway so I think there will be controversy either way. It was unfortunate. Hopefully nothing out of ordinary would happen this season.

Remember when Yuzuru has qualified to GPF with 2 and 5 place? What excatly is impossible? He just need right circumstances.

He was 2nd and 4th and that was 22 points, similar to murakami 2 3rd place last year (22 pts). I think 22 points is not really far-fetched from GPF.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is the men we're talking about, so I'd say nothing is settled until the last event. For example, Kovtun could comeback and spoil prospects in France, even if he doesn't qualify.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Boyang needs to win Cup of China at this point to have chance at the GPF, unless everyone else bombs one of their events, and even a 1st at Cup of China doesn't put him in a great place. In addition to the American Men, Takahito Mura for Japan and maybe even Mikhail Kolyada are still threats too. There are many different guys who can finish 2nd + 3rd at their events. It's not likely for Boyang now. 5th place is hard to recover from.

eta

Medalist
I think Boyang has a pretty good chance of winning CoC, except that I haven't seen Chan at all this season.

Though the men are the most unpredictable... splatfests...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
There are quite a few other skaters that will have something to say about that. CoC is far from a weak field.

Yes, that is true, Chan is there! It is of course possible that Kovtun may skate here a lot better than in Skate America and spoil the chances of some skaters. Boyang though has a good possibility to win, IMO.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, that is true, Chan is there! It is of course possible that Kovtun may skate here a lot better than in Skate America and spoil the chances of some skaters. Boyang though has a good possibility to win, IMO.

Ahem. Max will also be there.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Yuzuru qualified with 2/4

I don't know in 2014/2015 season field wasn't this deep.:think:

You're the third one to correct me :biggrin: Yeah, I remembered wrong. But if Boyang will win CoC, then he would even have better tie breaker than Yuzuru:) An yes, the field is deep, but that's why we can have very unexpected results. Like Nathan chen winning GP :drama:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
You're the third one to correct me :biggrin: Yeah, I remembered wrong. But if Boyang will iwn CoC, then he would even have better tie breaker than Boyang :) An yes, the field is deep, but that's why we can have very unexpected results. Like Nathan chen winning GP :drama:

Sorry I have just seen that others corrected you as well, so I deleted my post.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ahem. Max will also be there.

Ok, I'll add my favourites: Michal and Han Yan will be there! :biggrin:
And Michal is training under Rafael Arutyunyan now, so look out :p

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
wow... you are the first one I read saying the programs aren't good... i love them... and even non-fans, if they criticized his jumps like always, liked the programs. in any case, his programs are certainly more polished and refined than the programs jin has... don't hear me wrong, i think spiderman is super fun... la strada, well he is comical, but that's acting, not necessarily skating ;) so just being the devil's advocate here, if we were to base ranking just on programs, not thinking about jumps or spins... i'd rather see patrick's programs over jin's... YMMV
I'm a huge fan of Patrick's but I'm afraid I don't like Patrick's programs so much this season...:(

Biellmann

Match Penalty
I hope Yuzuru won't qualify for the GPF. He needs energy for worlds, who cares about the GP's :dev2:

qwertyskates

Medalist
wow... you are the first one I read saying the programs aren't good... i love them... and even non-fans, if they criticized his jumps like always, liked the programs. in any case, his programs are certainly more polished and refined than the programs jin has... don't hear me wrong, i think spiderman is super fun... la strada, well he is comical, but that's acting, not necessarily skating ;) so just being the devil's advocate here, if we were to base ranking just on programs, not thinking about jumps or spins... i'd rather see patrick's programs over jin's... YMMV

Trying so hard not to say anything not positive...I find that Patrick suits bigger programs and music, especially for the LP. His skating is so intricate, it's such a treat to watch his feet bring out the nuances of more complex, difficult masterpieces, I like him best skating to an original, unusual piece that is warhorse worthy, such as Mao's new SP and LP. This might grow on me. I hope it becomes a bit closer to Jason's rather intimate FS, that could work, but Jason has these "wow" leg lift positions that suit the more plaintive music phrases that Patrick lacks.

My weekends are essentially grinding to a stop - SC's field is just stupendous with Patrick and Hanyu headlining...won't miss that for the world.:luv17:

Last edited: