Grand Prix Assignments 2023/24 released | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Assignments 2023/24 released

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I have no freakin idea how to predict the Japanese women results are cup of china. I don't know how anyone else is either based on the huge variances in the predictions thread. Wasn't hana Yoshida doing a 3A? And I can't even predict where yelim (bless her, love her) will fall amongst the others, didn't she have a kinda rough start?

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I have no freakin idea how to predict the Japanese women results are cup of china. I don't know how anyone else is either based on the huge variances in the predictions thread. Wasn't hana Yoshida doing a 3A? And I can't even predict where yelim (bless her, love her) will fall amongst the others, didn't she have a kinda rough start?
Loena Hendrickx will win unless she starts having falls because she always gets good GOE and programme component scores and judges seem to turn a blind eye to any rotation issues or incorrect edges with her. After that it is very open for the other medal positions among the Japanese and Korean skaters. I was delighted with Niina Petrokina's medal at Skate America but feel she would need to be at her absolute best and have other skaters make mistakes (as happened at Skate America) for her to medal this time. It is also possible for one of the Chinese skaters to medal with the benefit of home advantage, but they would need to over-perform and have enough others under-perform. Although she is a national champion from a major skating country, it seems to be rare for Maddie Schizas to perform at her best in both programmes. She could get a medal, but there are others who seem more likely to do so.

Sackie

Medalist
If Maddie can lay down two clean skates back to back she can medal in China. But as mentioned when was the last time she did good back to back programs. But if she cold it just might be the boost CAN ladies need.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I hear ya. I just went by the SBs, that @AlexRus put in the CoC sub-forum, but prorated Yoshida to land 3A. All these people who postulated that removing ultra-c and increasing age limit in senior women will increase the stability in the field were totally, grievously and 100% wrong. Just like I thought they would be, but like...what's the point of saying, 'I said so'. They won't acknowledge their error in judgment and bias anyway.

Last edited:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Loena Hendrickx will win unless she starts having falls because she always gets good GOE and programme component scores and judges seem to turn a blind eye to any rotation issues or incorrect edges with her. After that it is very open for the other medal positions among the Japanese and Korean skaters. I was delighted with Niina Petrokina's medal at Skate America but feel she would need to be at her absolute best and have other skaters make mistakes (as happened at Skate America) for her to medal this time. It is also possible for one of the Chinese skaters to medal with the benefit of home advantage, but they would need to over-perform and have enough others under-perform. Although she is a national champion from a major skating country, it seems to be rare for Maddie Schizas to perform at her best in both programmes. She could get a medal, but there are others who seem more likely to do so.
Maddie has nice qualities, and is a serviceable skater when she's on, I just can't stand her music choices. Last year, I always watched her skate on mute (I'm tired of Black Swan) and I'm doing it this year too unfortunately.

icewhite

Record Breaker

Hana Yoshida did the 3A and landed it, but very roughly. Her free was quite good though, if I remember correctly it was her short that was quite a mess.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Maddie has nice qualities, and is a serviceable skater when she's on, I just can't stand her music choices. Last year, I always watched her skate on mute (I'm tired of Black Swan) and I'm doing it this year too unfortunately.
I thought Black Swan suited her (although I agree it is over used!). West Side Story did not. I am currently not convinced about either of this year's programmes. The FP from the Olympic season was probably her best in terms of how well the programme suited her strengths as a skater.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I thought Black Swan suited her (although I agree it is over used!). West Side Story did not. I am currently not convinced about either of this year's programmes. The FP from the Olympic season was probably her best in terms of how well the programme suited her strengths as a skater.

I think her free this year works very well for her.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I think her free this year works very well for her.
I was unclear how it was supposed to be representing Summer. I probably need to see it a few more times to work things out. She skated very well in the FP at Skate Canada, but I wasn't convinced it entirely hung together as a programme.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
So, Aleksandr Selevko is replacing Sihyeong Lee at NHK Trophy. That's great!

But I wonder how that happened? Aleksandr is only 15th on the replacement list afaik, unless...they update the scores received earlier this season? Aleksandr had a great skat at Finlandia Trophy and that might have moved him up on the list.

But I can't find anything about this in the rules. :unsure:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
So, Aleksandr Selevko is replacing Sihyeong Lee at NHK Trophy. That's great!

But I wonder how that happened? Aleksandr is only 15th on the replacement list afaik, unless...they update the scores received earlier this season? Aleksandr had a great skat at Finlandia Trophy and that might have moved him up on the list.

But I can't find anything about this in the rules. :unsure:
Takeru Amine KATAISE JPN (3 per country)
1. Mark GORODNITSKY ISR (GP Skate Canada)
2. Maxim NAUMOV USA (GP Skate America)
3. Conrad ORZEL CAN (GP Skate Canada)
Roman SADOVSKY CAN (Non-Seeded Skaters/Couples will not be invited to another event in replacement if, by medical reason, they withdraw from an assigned event.)
4. Lucas BROUSSARD USA (GP Cup of China)
5. Ivan SHMURATKO UKR (GP Espoo)
Nozomu YOSHIOKA JPN (3 per country)
6. Nikita STAROSTIN GER (GP Espoo)
7. Tomas-Llorenc GUARINO SABATE ESP
Sena MIYAKE JPN (3 per country)
8. Matthew NEWNHAM CAN
9. Vladimir SAMOILOV POL
10. Aleksandr SELEVKO EST
11. Andrew TORGASHEV USA

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yup... But let's not forget that 3 skaters were also ahead but got a second spot.. and those skaters were below the top three.... So Sasha was not on the original list until very recently

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Mai mihara still listed for nhk. Is there any possibility she may pull out of the competition last minute? And if she withdrew today, can the spot be filled?

icetug

Medalist
Yup... But let's not forget that 3 skaters were also ahead but got a second spot.. and those skaters were below the top three.... So Sasha was not on the original list until very recently
There was little time for a replacement. Maybe he is the only one with Japanese visa as he was doing shows in Japan?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There was little time for a replacement. Maybe he is the only one with Japanese visa as he was doing shows in Japan?
There is no need for a visa from most skating countries to enter Japan (see post somewhere in this thread, only Shmuratko would have had issues)

icetug

Medalist
There is no need for a visa from most skating countries to enter Japan (see post somewhere in this thread, only Shmuratko would have had issues)
Even if so, it is hardly surprising that the organizers chose someone who is known to the Japanese audience and who has already taken part in GP.
I don't know about the Canadian, but Tomas had just taken part in the NRW Trophy (where he won), and Vladimir had just WD from the Warsaw Cup (and he must have had a good reason, because all Polish skaters are obliged to take part in this competition; even Katia came back from China Cup straight to Warsaw).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Even if so, it is hardly surprising that the organizers chose someone who is known to the Japanese audience and who has already taken part in GP.
I don't know about the Canadian, but Tomas had just taken part in the NRW Trophy (where he won), and Vladimir had just WD from the Warsaw Cup (and he must have had a good reason, because all Polish skaters are obliged to take part in this competition; even Katia came back from China Cup straight to Warsaw).
Challengers and GPs =different topics.
I understand the reasons why a skater is preferred over another but it's rather uncanny how it happened that the top 3 guys on the list were neglected until Selevko who wasn't even on the original eligible list (too low on the replacement list) came into the game after other w/ds or spots being filled by lower ranked skaters. It's not just about NHK but it is also about Espoo's choices and so on. It's okay, we don't need to rehash all of this, I have been quite vocal already on this topic ;)

icetug

Medalist
Challengers and GPs =different topics.
Sure. However, if a skater can't take part in a Challenger at home one week because of injury, very probably is not very eager to go to GP on another continent a week later. Just a mention :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sure. However, if a skater can't take part in a Challenger at home one week because of injury, very probably is not very eager to go to GP on another continent a week later. Just a mention :)
I am not sure what which skater you are referring to.