Grand Prix Assignments 2023/24 released | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Assignments 2023/24 released

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It will be interesting to see who replaces her. Could be Rino. Could very well be Ekatarina. Cannot be an American. Could be a Korean. PS I hope Rika comes back strong. I hope she doesn't end up in the thread of "skaters you thought would do awesome and didn't fulfill their potential". She was an instant favourite of mine as soon as she burst into the senior scene. :(

Last edited:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It will be interesting to see who replaces her. Could be Rino. Could very well be Ekatarina. Cannot be an American. Could be a Korean. PS I hope Rika comes back strong. I hope she doesn't end up in the thread of "skaters you thought would do awesome and didn't fulfill their potential". She was an instant favourite of mine as soon as she burst into the senior scene. :(
I'm so sad for her. She's A favorite of mine, too.

Country
Norway
It certainly is interesting because they did not pick Kurakova as replacement last time SCI had a WD, it was Mae who got the spot.

IĀ“m sad Kihira WD, but I think itĀ“s good for her recovery.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It certainly is interesting because they did not pick Kurakova as replacement last time SCI had a WD, it was Mae who got the spot.

IĀ“m sad Kihira WD, but I think itĀ“s good for her recovery.
Is Kurakova back training in Toronto? She wasn't last time right?

Country
Norway
Is Kurakova back training in Toronto? She wasn't last time right?
Is she? I did notice that Lombardia Trophy stream said she was training with Orser, but I think it was old information. Because there was other skaters listed with the wrong information in the stream. Her ISU profile doesnĀ“t say anything about her current coaches, so iĀ“m not sure :scratch2: But I thought she trained with Turenko.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Is she? I did notice that Lombardia Trophy stream said she was training with Orser, but I think it was old information. Because there was other skaters listed with the wrong information in the stream. Her ISU profile doesnĀ“t say anything about her current coaches, so iĀ“m not sure :scratch2: But I thought she trained with Turenko.
I haven't followed her recently.. no idea.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
She went back to Cricket in the summer at least, so she may be working with Orser again part-time. I think she's still based in Europe though.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
It's so sad that rika kihira has been injured for so long. She has a problem with a bone in her foot, right? And that caused her to be unable to do a lutz? Did she damage her foot (or her back?) while practicing a quad? If someone could direct me to the old article about what happened, I would appreciate it.
And crossing my fingers for her speedy recovery going forward. Want to acknowledge that her Titanic program was very lovely.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
It's so sad that rika kihira has been injured for so long. She has a problem with a bone in her foot, right? And that caused her to be unable to do a lutz? Did she damage her foot (or her back?) while practicing a quad? If someone could direct me to the old article about what happened, I would appreciate it.
And crossing my fingers for her speedy recovery going forward. Want to acknowledge that her Titanic program was very lovely.
She has a stress fracture in her foot. I think the lutz injury was earlier, more like 2019, but she did stop F and Lz jumps for a while. She also had an ankle injury in 2021. Her foot fracture didn't properly heal - last summer she skated in a lot of shows, most likely to raise funds for training & living in Canada. Then she persisted with competing because of worlds being in Saitama, also I don't think JSF would give Rika a bye to nationals because missed the nats during the Olympic season(?). She had skated through pain whilst working to regain her triples, so ultimately her foot hasn't had enough rest.

It's not the article I was looking for but it does have a few things in it.
Seeing Yuma's comeback after being out of international competitions for a year gives me hope that we can see Rika do the same next year! :pray:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Rika Kihira has withdrawn from Skate Canada and is probably also off the replacement list. šŸ˜¢ I can only hope that by taking this entire season off she'll be able to heal fully :pray:
Yeah, that was expected. When Rika didn't get the host spot at NHK Trophy I kinda knew something was going on.

I think Rika's injury is really serious. She's had it for years and it looks like she can't do Lutz/Flip jumps. It's a bit like Yuzuru. (or like Shcherbakova who injured the opposite leg and couldn't train 4T's after that).

Such a pity, Rika (imo) was robbed at 2019 worlds. She and Kaori should have had the silver/bronze instead of Tursynbaeva/Medvedeva.

Last edited:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Replacement Lists - *UPDATED* 7th November

Women

Rika Kihira JPN 192.43 has resigned from SC
Ekaterina Kurakova POL 190.44 has now two spots
1. Ava Marie Ziegler USA 186.76 has one spot
2. Seoyeon Ji KOR 184.14
Xiangyi An CHN 183.94 has now two spots
Sarina Joos SUI 180.31 changed country to Italy
Lorine Schild FRA 179.00 has now two spots
Lara Naki Gutmann ITA 178.43 has now two spots
Lea Serna FRA 177.72 has now two spots
Janna Jyrkinen FIN 176.96 has two spots
3. Rino Matsuike JPN 176.52 has one spot
4. Mariia Saniuk ISR 175.75 Winner of CS Denis Ten
5. MaƩ-BƩrƩnice MƩitƩ FRA 175.68 has one spot
6. Hanna Harrell USA 175.55
7. Lindsay van Zundert NED 174.81 has one spot
Anna Pezzetta ITA 174.49 doing JGP
8. Sonja Hilmer USA 174.46
Gabriella Izzo USA 174.10 switched to Pairs
9. Gracie Gold USA 174.09
10. Olga Mikutina AUT 173.36
11. Clare Seo USA 172.62 has one spot
12. Kaiya Ruiter CAN 172.42 has one spot
13. Gabrielle Daleman CAN 171.61
14. Sara-Maude Dupuis CAN 170.67 has one spot
15. Justine Miclette CAN 167.87
16. Alexia Paganini SUI 165.71
17. Julia Sauter ROU 165.62
18. Eva-Lotta Kiibus EST 165.21
19. Julia Lang HUN 165.07
20. Ahsun Yun KOR 163.82
21. Kristina Isaev GER 163.79

Right now there is a vacant spot in China (Mai Mihara) and in Finland (Kimmy Repond)

Men

Jason Brown USA 280.04 has declined to compete in GPs this season
Tatsuya Tsuboi JPN 244.90 has now two spots
1. Takeru Amine Kataise JPN 234.24 has one spot
2. Mark Gorodnitsky ISR 232.13 has one spot
Luc Economides FRA 229.64 has now two spots
Boyang Jin CHN 227.47 has now two spots
3. Maxim Naumov USA 227.17 has one spot
4. Conrad Orzel CAN 226.10 has one spot
Roman Sadovsky CAN 225.41 wd from SC
5. Robert Yampolsky USA 223.06
Liam Kapeikis USA 223.02 has now two spots
Jimmy Ma USA 222.73 has now two spots
Stephen Gogolev CAN 221.02 has now two spots
Naoki Rossi SUI 220.68 doing JGP
6. Lucas Broussard USA 220.43 has one spot
7. Ivan Shmuratko UKR 220.08
Wesley Chiu CAN 219.90 has now two spots
8. Nozomu Yoshioka JPN 219.68 has one spot
Shunsuke Nakamura JPN 219.65 doing JGP
9. Nikita Starostin GER 217.87
10. Tomas-Llorenc Guarino SabatƩ ESP 216.05
11. Sena Miyake JPN 215.74
12. Matthew Newnham CAN 213.79
Hyungyeom Kim KOR 213.56 doing JGP
13. Vladimir Samoilov POL 212.79
Francois Pitot FRA 212.25 doing JGP
14. Jaeseok Kyeong KOR 211.98
15. Aleksandr Selevko EST 211.11
16. Andrew Torgashev USA 210.59 has one spot
17. Arlet Levandi EST 209.50 has one spot
18. Maurizio Zandron AUT 207.68
Yudong Chen CHN 205.12 doing JGP
Daniel Martynov USA 204.67 doing JGP
19. Valtter Virtanen FIN 204.02
20. Landry Le May FRA 203.39
Adam Hagara SVK 203.26 doing JGP
21. Davide Lewton Brain MON 206.16
22. Luc Maierhofer AUT 201.50
23. Kornel Witkowski POL 200.97
24. Aleksa Rakic CAN 200.94 has one spot
Raffaele Francesco Zich ITA 200.73 doing JGP
25. Hangil Kim KOR 200.23
26. Dinh Tran USA 199.68
27. Rakhat Bralin KAZ 199.38
28. Younghyun Cha KOR 199.18
29. Jari Kessler CRO 197.99
30. Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda JPN 197.90

I hope there is no errors...

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
is there time for someone to get the spot in China? I am so sorry that Mai won't be there but would like someone to get their chance.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
is there time for someone to get the spot in China? I am so sorry that Mai won't be there but would like someone to get their chance.
There is no requirement for skaters to be replaced if they withdraw within 14 days of the start of the event (with the start being measured as the team leaders meeting) unless it would make the event fall below a minimum number of entries. See section 7.6: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...es-files-58/31498-general-announcement-2/file

Edit: any replacement would be difficult this late because they would need time to get travel and visas etc and would need to arrive there tomorrow ready for practice on Thursday.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There is no requirement for skaters to be replaced if they withdraw within 14 days of the start of the event (with the start being measured as the team leaders meeting) unless it would make the event fall below a minimum number of entries. See section 7.6: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...es-files-58/31498-general-announcement-2/file

Edit: any replacement would be difficult this late because they would need time to get travel and visas etc and would need to arrive there tomorrow ready for practice on Thursday.
Fair enough. Sad all round.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Fair enough. Sad all round.
What I find sad is that the Japanese Fed must have known earlier, and there would have been time for a replacement if Mihara had been withdrawn at that point. Rino Matsuike would have had a good chance of getting the spot (she can only replace Japanese skaters due to the three per country limit, so cannot replace Kimmy Ripond at Espoo) so they may well have disadvantaged their own skater - unless Mihara also withdraws from NHK and Matsuike gets that spot. Matsuike has a bronze already and could have been one of a few skaters with a chance of silver at cup of china. She would also have a chance of medalling at NHK if she got to go there. At the moment, Rion Sumiyoshi is the only Japanese female other than Sakamoto who has a realistic chance of qualifying for the GP final. Hana Yoshida would need to beat Loena Hendrickx to have any chance and that isn't going to happen unless Loena has falls because Loena's under-rotations and edges do not get called by judges. Looking in from outside, the Japanese Fed have seemed unsupportive of Matsuike in previous seasons as well, which is sad to see.