Grand Prix: Chan's big challenges | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix: Chan's big challenges

Boeing787

On the Ice
I watched the program again after reading your post, somehow I still don't feel it has an upbeat ending. For me, it is indeed a sad piece throughout.

Like you, I am wondering what was left out in the proram after Patrick fell on the 2nd Lutz and think maybe I can understand it better after watching his performance in SC this weekend (on the web). That's why I didn't reply your first post.

Yes, this is also the only program with multiple falls that I can watch again and again. It has some kind of spell!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I'm surprised at how much I've enjoyed this flawed performance, repeatedly

Yes, this is also the only program with multiple falls that I can watch again and again. It has some kind of spell!

It might not be the only flawed program I've enjoyed. But it did feel like there was a spell-binding attraction. I enjoy it tremendously. I've watched it many times. The part from 4'42" to 4'59" climax was another highlight for me besides all other jewels that I've listed in other threads. And SF, I loved that foot tapping before jump too. Gosh, if we've listed all the sparkling parts in this program from everybody, it could well be connected into a jewelry necklace.:biggrin: I know I've sounded like a crazy...fan.:laugh:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Bluebonnet, I've been comparing his 2nd step sequence to that of the POTO. The latter was re-cheorographed from the season before the sequence became non-levelled but he and Lori kept the complex energetic choreography because its passion went with the music and the drama, completing the program in a rousing climatic end. In Aranjuez, the last SS really mostly goes with the spirit of the rule change - for performance and expression without concerning with requirements and restrictions. It's still very difficult and intricate, but more subtle, melodic, and heart felt, like the from-the-heart gesture after the hand raising.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Regardless of the flaw performance, I have been watching the Japan Open clip countless time. I love the program and the music.
Can the experts here tell me when did the first SS start and the second SS start? Yeah, I'm that bad at it. Besides the Axel, I can't even tell other jumps apart.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Regardless of the flaw performance, I have been watching the Japan Open clip countless time. I love the program and the music.
Can the experts here tell me when did the first SS start and the second SS start? Yeah, I'm that bad at it. Besides the Axel, I can't even tell other jumps apart.

Not an expert, but I think the first step sequence is 1'57" -2'30", 2nd 4'30"-5'00".

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Chan looks to past stars to improve figure skating program, repeat as champion

Lots of good words of admiration for the elder Canadian skating heroes. For himself:

“I’m still developing as a skater,” said Chan. “I’ve won a world championship and I’m excited to still have room for improvement.”

Chan hopes to make his performances more entertaining.

“Last season was all about technical improvement,” he said. “Landing the quad, doing the triple axel, and staying on my feet, basically.

“This year will be more about moving with more emotion and passion. I’ll show that I really want to skate instead of skating to land jumps and get points. It’ll be more about going out there and just enjoying it and trying to give the crowds something special.”

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
Some of Chan's 4L + 3L jumps are so secured, anyone thinks that he can add another triple or double at the end? Does it worth much?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan looks to put it all together

There is the original English version of the French press I linked and translated earlier.

Patrick said he had focused more on the artistic side than the technical side of Aranjuez for JO with training time constraint. It really came across that way such that it was a very moving performance even with the falls. I do hope he puts it all together this weekend. That's so I will have an even better video to enjoy. :)

Championslhip win has Chan in full control

How his practice is described was exactly what I experienced. The whole arena went silent the moment he took to the ice. Debbie commented after that there wasn't a second you would want to take your eye off him.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
Some of Chan's 4L + 3L jumps are so secured, anyone thinks that he can add another triple or double at the end? Does it worth much?

1st, he is doing 4T+3T, he is not able to do 4L yet.
2nd, no, he cannot add another triple at the end. He has maximized his technical points given the rules and his abilities.

jettasian

Match Penalty
1st, he is doing 4T+3T, he is not able to do 4L yet.
2nd, no, he cannot add another triple at the end. He has maximized his technical points given the rules and his abilities.

No, I mean in combination such as 4T+3T+2T at once.

Boeing787

On the Ice
no, only one three jump combination is allowed and Patrick's is 3Lz+1Lo+3S. So he cannot do 4T+3T+2T.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
World champions tumble at Skate Canada

DiManno: Chan shaky in short program

Chan sits third after short program at Skate Canada

I already linked these in Javier Fernandez thread. The night belonged to him but the hometown World Champion headlines the news. I'm more interested in their minds reflected in their words.

Chan is still in a very good position. Top three are very close but Chan has PCS advantage over Fernandez and TES advantage over Takahashi. And he sounds mentally strong and relaxed. He's undertrained from a short busy summer but he has time to catch up with himself with the kind of speedy progress he's able to make.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
looks like no man is able to challenge patrick this season, not yet. patrick just needs to skate two clean programs and the gold is in his pocket. he does need to train smartly and avoid injury. he should focus on getting gold in sochi instead of hitting the 300 mark, imo.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Chans task is simple. Dont make the equivalent of 7 falls worth of mistakes and he is guaranteed to win any event he enters. I said that this time last year to howls of protest from some complainers, but I was simply stating truth, and now a year later and everything that has happened since has proven me right. It must nice to enter events knowing that. I agree it looks like there is nobody close to challenging him again this season. He is by far the strongest skater right now, and by far the judges favorite and most generously scored too.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Chans task is simple. Dont make the equivalent of 7 falls worth of mistakes and he is guaranteed to win any event he enters. I said that this time last year to howls of protest from some complainers, but I was simply stating truth, and now a year later and everything that has happened since has proven me right. It must nice to enter events knowing that. I agree it looks like there is nobody close to challenging him again this season. He is by far the strongest skater right now, and by far the judges favorite and most generously scored too.

Last year you said 5-6 falls. This year you said 7 falls. What has proved that you've been saying the truth?!

SC 2011 alone has proved that you are saying totally non-sense! The total difference between gold and silver were 3.41. The difference between first and second in LP were 4.84 with Chan in first. The difference between first and third in SP were 1.43 with Chan in third.

Boeing787

On the Ice

Judges favored Chan simply because they could tell he was the best skater (and skated the best) in the competition. Other connoisseurs happened to have the same opinion. Both the commentators of Universal Sports and Eurosport said Patrick's FS is better than Fernandez's - they are not Canadians and should be unbiased. So you think you know better than these experts? What credential do you have in figure skating?

I agree that the judges in SC were kinda generous compared to those in SA, but they were generous to everyone, not just to Patrick. Fernandez would not have been able to get the same PCS if he had skated in SA.

Last edited:

Dragonlady

Final Flight
He is by far the strongest skater right now, and by far the judges favorite and most generously scored too.

When people post that Chan is the best/strongest skater and the judges' pet/favourite, do they not get the connection between someone being the best/strongest skater and the judges giving them the highest marks? I'm not a Plushenko fan at all but I don't ever recall referring to him as the "judges' pet" because even though I'm not a fan of his programs, I could see full well that he was the best skater in the world at the time, and that he was very deserving of the wins.