Great Comebacks to the World Stage | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Great Comebacks to the World Stage

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just joining in the Rudy love.:luv17:

One of the great skates for an "old" guy who had never even made the podium nationally as as singles skater and was not believed to have the firepower to compete with the younger more athletic skaters.
One of the great KnC reactions. Just an incredible feel good moment.:agree:

I just rewatched it too:)

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Thank you for mentioning this performance. I just rewatched it after many years. What an incredibly emotional program that holds up even after all this time. I think the standing ovation was even more intense than what Yuzu received at Worlds this year (except for the Pooh Bears, of course).

Oh lord, you done said it now! :laugh: :slink:

It was an amazing comeback - loved Rudy and that Nationals changed his life - his Worlds performances that resulted were sublime!

rain

Record Breaker
This event was beyond disappointing. It poured cold water on the whole notion of washed-up former champions coming back for a last hurrah. Boitano and Witt and even Torvill & Dean were pale shadows of themselves. Gordeeva & Grinkov won for nostalgia's sake, but were they really better than Mishkutoanok and Dmetriev, or even Brasseur and Eisler?

I sort of agree with you here. However, weren't M/D (who should have won, no question) coming back as well? And as for Torvill and Dean, their rhumba OD is one of the best programs I've ever seen. They blew everyone else out of the water.

blargmonster

Rinkside
Does Yuna Kim 2011 Worlds count?

I believe this was her first competition that year. She got silver, just a point away from gold (I think this was a bit controversial). Her LP was one of her best programs, and I personally really liked her Giselle even though neither were skated clean. Her Gala performance, though, was kind of sad to watch.

Roo87

Medalist
Kaetlyn Osmond breaking her leg, missing a year, learning how to skate again and landing on the world (x2) and olympic podium (x2) just years later.