Great examples of compulsory/pattern dances in competition? | Golden Skate

Great examples of compulsory/pattern dances in competition?

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
For those who love to watch, compete or judge pattern dances, which performance/s do you think are a good reference or inspiration for skaters learning the pattern (for competition or tests), or for spectators who want to learn more about ice dance? I'm thinking along technical grounds (like hitting key points, deep controlled edges, posture and extension), but also with a mind towards artistic expression (e.g. unique or unusual interpretation).

Examples from any era are welcome, either standalone as compulsory dances or as excerpts from short/rhythm dances :)

Here are a few examples to get started (would like to know your opinion on these performances or if you have other favourite renditions):
Paso Doble: Anissina/Peizerat 1999 Worlds, Virtue Moir 2009 Worlds
Tango Romantica: Virtue/Moir 2010 Olympics, Weaver/Poje 2019 Worlds
Golden Waltz: Virtue Moir 2010 Worlds
Rhumba: Torvill/Dean 1984 Olympics, Shibutanis 2018 Olympics
I can't pick a favourite performance for Blues, Argentine Tango, Viennese Waltz etc. although I really like these dances, because the top teams all seem really close to my non-expert eye. Jumpy cheerful Quickstep-style dances aren't really my cup of tea, although I liked Rahkamo/Kokko (originators of the Finnstep) because they made the hops look bouncy rather than jerky. The only dance that always looks weird to me (and which I never want to learn if I can help it) is Yankee Polka...

And a related question: Who do you think are the best pattern dancers historically or currently competing?

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Davis/White had two unusual but outstanding music-dance combinations: their Yankee Polka to 'Giselle' and their Finnstep to 'My Fair Lady'. In both cases, the music was not an intuitive fit for the pattern at first glance, but they way they placed the patterns framed them very effectively and let D/W present it in a way that played to their strengths (speed, character and a lot of hard work).

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Davis/White had two unusual but outstanding music-dance combinations: their Yankee Polka to 'Giselle' and their Finnstep to 'My Fair Lady'. In both cases, the music was not an intuitive fit for the pattern at first glance, but they way they placed the patterns framed them very effectively and let D/W present it in a way that played to their strengths (speed, character and a lot of hard work).
I definitely liked their Finnstep, it has a natural 'bubbly' quality that the more serious/tall teams can't really pull off without looking forced.
Their Yankee Polka is one of the nicest examples out there - I still don't like the pattern itself (I don't think even the most talented dancers could make those side stomps not look silly) but Giselle actually makes a lot of sense since Act I of the ballet is set in the countryside and the Yankee Polka looks like the type of dance meant to be performed in a barnyard village gathering...

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Oh glory. The Yankee Polka. I'm getting flashbacks. I'm going to need three of my pills at least tonight... I'll never forget my first lesson on that one. I seem to recall staring at my coach and saying something along the lines of, "You, sir, are 'avin' a giraffe." Sadly, he wasn't and I learned it and danced it. Couldn't do it now though and I'm not unhappy about that! Davis and White are the only pair I've seen perform it in a manner I really enjoyed.

Favourite patterns dances that spring to mind:-

Kilian: Bestemianova & Bukin, Calgary 88

And... :scratch2:

I can't remember my other favourite performances (I couldn't even watch skating for 18 years after my accident so most of the dancers I knew are way back in the mists of time) but my favourite pattern dances were the Quickstep, Kilian (still love dancing that one) and the Ravensburger Waltz. I'll never forget the first time I saw that danced, at the old Richmond rink near London, in about 1987, and I was immediately captivated and desperate to learn it. The twizzles fascinated me and I put one into my Foxtrot Variation for one of my tests, which caused raised eyebrows amongst the judges. Wouldn't turn a hair these days!

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I like doing the Kilian, but mainly because it's quite short :laugh:
I like the longer dances because they're pretty to watch, but when I have to skate them myself that's another story...