Oksana Baiul
Katia Gordeeva
Mao Asada
Adelina Sotnikova
Alissa Czisny
Tiffany Chin
Caryn Kadavy
Julia Lipnitskaia

Caroline Zhang (when she was Jr. World Champion).
Angela Nikodinov
Shizuka Arakawa
Nicole Bobek

Last edited:

Bartek

On the Ice
I'm sorry but out of all things you could say about Kwan, "ballerina" is not certainly one of them. Do Kwan's fans really have to put her EVERYWHERE? I mean no offense, she has many great qualities but line, posture and extention isn't really up there with Cohen or Asada. I wouldn't be surprised if you put her among the best spinners or claim she has the best triple-triple. The greatest ballerina is Sasha of course. Perfectly straight back ALL THE TIME, extraordinary flexibility, pointed toes, perfect positions in spirals and spins (except for the biellman). Some of her positions are unmatched to this day even with Alissa, Caroline and Mirai on the scene.

A lovely list. And don't forget Caryn Kadavy, whose mother was actually a ballerina. She actually made it to a World bronze in the lat 1980s, and was at the Olympics in Calgary, but the poor girl got too sick to skate. She had a long pro career (I think she still skates, actually) because she was such a popular ang graceful show skater. Once an American TV station actually did a split screen of Caryn and Oksana each doing an interpretation of Massenet's "Meditation" (the violin piece) from his opera Thais. Her style for the piece was more flowing than Oksana's who tended to flutter a bit at that point in her career.

Couldn't find her "Meditation," but here's "My Heart at Thy Sweet Voice" from Samson and Delilah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRWlxaLf4c4&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLB0ACC13BD10B42EC

Gordeyeva is very balletic, especially as a singles skater, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6CdljxyH-U&feature=related

And then there was Katherine Healy, who studied ballet and skating equally and eventually became a professional ballerina in Europe. She turned pro in skating very early and did mostly exhibition skating (age fourteen or so), because working on jumps probably interfered with her ballet training. She resumed skating in her thirties and skated for a New York artistic skating company for awhile. I think she might coach now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_QhuJrDVW0

mary01

Final Flight
I'm sorry but out of all things you could say about Kwan, "ballerina" is not certainly one of them. Do Kwan's fans really have to put her EVERYWHERE? I mean no offense, she has many great qualities but line, posture and extention isn't really up there with Cohen or Asada. I wouldn't be surprised if you put her among the best spinners or claim she has the best triple-triple. The greatest ballerina is Sasha of course. Perfectly straight back ALL THE TIME, extraordinary flexibility, pointed toes, perfect positions in spirals and spins (except for the biellman). Some of her positions are unmatched to this day even with Alissa, Caroline and Mirai on the scene.

this is exactly what I was thinking too!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In my opinion the best of all is Sasha Cohen, the second Oksana Baiul.

christinaskater

Medalist
I agree that Michelle is not a "ballerina" skater but she incorporates so many beautiful movements as well. In a thread before a lot of ballet fans said that she is not Bolshoi in style but more of the Mariinski in style.

I agree that Sasha is the most balletic of all. Oksana is a close second.

Shizuka Arakawa incorporate so many gorgeous balletic movements as well.

IN the new generation I love Adelina Sotnikova and the "Cohen-esque" Julia Lipnitskaia.

brightphoton

Medalist
I'm pretty sure there's more to being a "ballerina skater" than being thin, pretty, bendy, and skating to ballet music. Half of your skaters fit only that criteria.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I totally agree about Sasha - I didn't care about ladies' skating until she came along! Now my fave is Alissa - can't beat those long clean lines.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen! The greatest one ever! Then Oksana Baiul in her Olympic winning program. No skaters come close to these two.

Thought of two more. Peggy Fleming and Jennifer Kirk. The latter was actually ballet-trained, and her carriage and arm positions reflected this.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Since she is a skater, she still counts-- Tessa Virtue.

larryb

Spectator
Though she was never a true international success, I think Lucinda Ruh would be a must add to this list. Her line, posture, extension, and positions are simply among the best.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Though she was never a true international success, I think Lucinda Ruh would be a must add to this list. Her line, posture, extension, and positions are simply among the best.

I totally agree. I would also like to add Katherine Healy. Although she never competed at the elite level, she was a trained ballarina and she also was a figure skater and skated in a number of shows.

Art&Sport

Medalist

Hey, but you are jumping the gun, aren't you (unless the first poster mentioned Kwan and then removed her name). Where was Kwan's name mentioned in this topic, and who mentioned it first? Since Kwan's name has been brought up, NO I wouldn't call Michelle Kwan "a ballerina-type" skater. She was an extraordinary skater who had one of the best spirals ever (an iconic spiral) that was inspired by Nicole Bobek's great spiral. Nicole's leg extension was to die for before Cohen ever came on the scene. And it was Bobek who inspired Kwan to work hard to get her own leg up higher. Michelle worked so hard at it that she ended up making her inside outside spiral a legendary trademark. Michelle IMO had good skills all-around with somewhat average spins -- the cool thing about Michelle and what makes her so great is that she got the most she could out of what she was given, far more than many skaters who excelled in areas that she didn't. For example, I think Bobek was a more gifted skater than Michelle in terms of natural ability. Unfortunately though, unlike Michelle Kwan, Bobek did not have the discipline, focus, and hard work ethic to make the most of her talents. THAT IS WHAT MOST PEOPLE MISS when Michelle's name is brought up as being one of the greatest skaters ever. Kwan got the most out of her talent, more than a slew of skaters, non-skaters or ballerina skaters ever will in a lifetime.

I think Kwan was very lyrical and graceful, especially with her arm movements. But the things that made her a legend are her consistency, hard work, competitiveness, grace under pressure, and her ability to focus and stay in the present moment. She was called a "jumping bean" first and then she became known for her grace and her artistry. Still I wouldn't call her a ballerina skater, nor would I have brought up her name in this thread, except that either you or the first poster who replied did first!

I would put Sasha Cohen and Katharine Healy on the list definitely (Healy actually was a ballerina and performed on stage more than she did on the ice). I think Bobek might have been included if she had lived up to her talent.

I would include Janet Lynn (because she was an exceptional, lyrical dancer on the ice) even though her body type might not be considered balletic. I would also include Peggy Fleming.

I would not include Yu Na, because although Yu Na was magically graceful and musical, she never learned how to point her feet. Also, Oksana Baiul definitely. Despite the up-and-coming young Russians looking balletic, they don't yet have enough maturity or track record IMHO, to be mentioned in the same breath yet with these other skaters.

Kadavy is an interesting choice -- she did have balletic qualities, but she wouldn't necessarily be the first name that would come to my mind. I'd put Alissa Czisny in this category more, and even Carolina who is more an edgy ballerina with modern dance leanings. Caroline Zhang did have balletic, lyrical qualities as a junior and in her early senior years, but her skating technique was not sound and that is where she faltered.

Mao is a butterfly, pure and simple.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Two years ago Brandon Mroz struck me as balletic if my memory serves.

Mroz has tried on a variety of different styles. Maybe he looked balletic to you the season he was trying on Johnny Weir's style. Johnny is more "balletic" than Mroz, even though Johnny has never studied ballet. I'd also call Lambiel balletic, and Eman Sandhu, and Jeffrey Buttle. I'd also include Dai Takahashi (who has been mentored by a Japanese dancer), although I think Dai tends more toward a modern dance style. Jeremy Abbott is definitely balletic in his style. Patrick Chan seems to aspire to a balletic style as well, and will probably get there with improved artistic presentation and musical interpretation skills.

IMO, Javier Fernandez actually looked like a ballet dancer when he performed his fp at CoR -- even though Javi needs to continue working on his presentation, he was absolutely thrilling to watch. I'm so excited for Brian and Javier. I hope their partnership leads to absolute greatness!

Last edited: