Hanyu injured at practice for NHK | Golden Skate

Hanyu injured at practice for NHK

bevybean

On the Ice
The official statement is that he is being treated for a right ankle injury and it is unclear if he will compete or not. At the time of the reporting, they hadn't heard back from the doctor yet as to Hanyu's condition. I got my information from multiple news sources. One of them is linked below. So, if he withdraws that certainly has the potential to shake things up for the GPF. If he decides to compete with an injury, I wonder how that will affect him?

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/11/09/yuzuru-hanyu-injury-video-fall-nhk-trophy-figure-skating/

Thankfully, there is still plenty of time for him to recover before the Olympics. Well, depending on how bad the injury is.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope he's ok and makes a conservative decision to remain healthy for the Olympics. That is the most important thing.

ask

Match Penalty
That fall looks scary. Like his leg was gonna snap off. I think he might need a few months to recover. Hopefully in time for the Olympics.

nocturnalis

Medalist
That fall was awful. I felt like I wanted to vomit. It was Pogo-splat bad. It actually reminded of one of the falls Yulia took in the 2014-2015 season .

moriel

Record Breaker
I hope he actually skips this GP if there is even a minimal injury.
I want him well and healthy at olympics, GP is irrelevant.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Oh no poor Yuzu
I hope he doesn't try to push it. The Olympics are more important than NHK, even if this is in his home country.
Does anyone have a video of that practice?

TMC

Record Breaker
That fall reminded me of Zhang/Zhang FS in Torino - I thought 100% they wouldn't be able to continue but they did and got silver! Hoping Yuzu's fall/injury looked worse than it was :( I agree it would be better to rest if he doesn't feel great - GPFs are 13 in a dozen, Olympics are way more important. I still hope he's not badly injured and can compete tomorrow.

Roast Toast

Medalist
Don't you just love the Olympic season? The men are actually going to kill themselves. Hopefully his team are being cautious and he will be fine.

nocturnalis

Medalist
That fall reminded me of Zhang/Zhang FS in Torino - I thought 100% they wouldn't be able to continue but they did and got silver! Hoping Yuzu's fall/injury looked worse than it was :( I agree it would be better to rest if he doesn't feel great - GPFs are 13 in a dozen, Olympics are way more important. I still hope he's not badly injured and can compete tomorrow.
Shouldn't Zhang/Zhang have been disqualified because they went over the injury time limit?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... poor guy!!! :( :eek:hwell: :palmf:

Hope he take it easy! If he is injured, he need to rest!!! He might as well, seeing Patirck and Javier basically the 3 former kings are all out of GP series and recouperating. These demanding quads must have taken their toll.

This makes the Olympics so unpredictable. Basically, no momentum building from these 3. What will happen next? WIll it be Nathen vs Shoma vs Kolyada? While Boyang and Jason try their mightest push? Max challenging more Phatntom PCS by US Nationals? How's Adam this year?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Basically, no momentum building from these 3.

Can we wait until NHK actually happens? We have zero actually confirmed news about this except for the fact that Yuzu was being treated. Who knows in what state he is in, maybe it will barely affect him, maybe he'll have to change layouts.... but he could make the GPF without 4Lo & 4Lz. And then he has time to recover for that and build his momentum there. The only thing we can do is wait for more news.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Oh my, that fall did not look pretty. He was extremely low in the knee when he landed. If it's an injury that's going to be severely aggravated by skating here, then yes, Hanyu should withdraw. A second gold at the Olympics is far more important than another NHK Trophy win - and your fans will understand. Chan and Fernandez are already essentially out of the GPF anyway, so not being wouldn't be looked upon too harshly (and diminish the importance of the GPF as it is already for the men).

gkelly

Record Breaker
Shouldn't Zhang/Zhang have been disqualified because they went over the injury time limit?

I believe they were within the rules at the to restart when they did, and then the rules were tightened up afterward to prevent that kind of situation going forward.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Some relevant details from the new article linked by SkaterX in a separate thread on this forum:

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/11/09/yuzuru-hanyu-injury-video-fall-nhk-trophy-figure-skating/

“As all of you are aware who were at the rink during the official practice, Yuzuru Hanyu injured his leg and he is undergoing treatment, so he will not be attending this press conference,” Japan Skating Federation spokesman Tamio Suzuki told the assembled media at an Osaka hotel on Thursday evening.

“Please accept our apology, we do not know the details of the injury or whether he will be taking part in the competition from tomorrow,” Suzuki added. “There are no reports from the doctor at this moment.”

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Better not risk it. If the medical assessment advises rest and no jumps, it would be smart to let this GP go, along with GPF. It would be sad, but being unable to go to the Olympics because of an injury that's gotten aggravated by oh so many further jumps, is much worse. He wants that Olympic medal so much, I'm sure he'll choose the smartest solution for the long term.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Don't you just love the Olympic season? The men are actually going to kill themselves. Hopefully his team are being cautious and he will be fine.

What are they supposed to do? If you're a skater at the top you don't have a choice. Oh ,how I wish Yuzuru wouldn't add the 4Lz. How I wished last season that Shoma stopped adding Quad, after Quad, after Quad. How I wish it wouldn't come down to TES every single time. They have no choice. None of them. There are no cushions. It comes down to the most healthy skater in February, and one of them will be healthy. So, no one who is thinking "I'm not taking any risks, I'll take it easy" will get very far. It's the unfortunate reality of Men's figure skating in the 2017/18 season. And injuries will play a part. Shoma is also suffering from an ankle injury. :sad46:

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I really really hope that the injury is not bad and that he takes time to recover.I hate when skaters et injured, but especially in an oly season, as they don't have too many chances in a career to be on top form for one. Get well Yuzu fast and don't do something stupid similar to the concussion injury.