Heavy skater blade scratching | Golden Skate

Heavy skater blade scratching

Niverren

Spectator
TL; DR Heavy skater having problem with a blade feeling scratchy/unstable.

So I’ll try to keep this short, but I’m a 41yo total noob who just put ice skates on her feet for the very first time 2 months ago. Counting lessons and public skate, I’ve been on the ice a total of 16 times. I was professionally fitted and wanted the Jackson Debut Fusion but was instead put into the Freestyle Fusion (by my coach) when Jackson told her they could not get my size (9.5 wide) until July. The Freestyle come with the Aspire XP blade, which has been partially mounted.

I skated with them for the first time last Saturday and could barely move at all; the blades were unevenly set from the factory with my foot that supinates the most having the blade wayyy too far in the opposite direction. Coach took the skates, adjusted for supination but did not fully mount the blades. I skated Monday and yesterday better than I ever have and did some baby elements (rocking horse, backward swizzles) that I was never able to do in the rental skates.

Coach took the skates last night to fully mount the blades, but did not have the bag of screws that came with my skates and returned them to me still partially mounted.

Flash forward to today and I could barely skate at all. My right blade felt like it was dragging/scratching the entire time. But because I am so new, I have no idea what the actual problem was. I honestly believe I looked down and saw the right blade “shaking” on the ice, but it was probably just my leg shaking.

Here’s the thing. I am very very heavy. Realistically, I am twice the weight of any other adult out there. My coach plays it off like it isn’t a big deal and I’m the same as everyone else, but I just can’t help but think that putting the weight of TWO skaters on these low-end blades, especially when they are not fully mounted, is a recipe for disaster. My coach will look at them in the next day or so, but is it dangerous to try to skate on them until then?

I lost a tiny bit of faith when my coach wanted me (with wide feet and only 8 skates EVER at that time) to buy Edea Pianos because she said it was impossible to overboot with Edea. This rink really doesn’t have any plus size skaters and I think they just aren’t sure what to do with me.

Anyone have any insight on weight vs blades vs partial mount?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Grab the boot with one hand. Grab the blade with the other hand. Check whether the temp screws have loosened enough for you to wiggle the blade with respect to the boot.

Talionis

Rinkside
I’m interested in anything you discover about the problem, as I, too, am a heavy beginning skater on a low-end Jackson blade. I think there’s something off with my right blade, too, but the screws aren‘t loose and it could very well just be my technique.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Grab the boot with one hand. Grab the blade with the other hand. Check whether the temp screws have loosened enough for you to wiggle the blade with respect to the boot.
This. Do this. If the blade moves, it needs the screws tightening. But do get your coach to check that it doesn't need moving slightly before the rest of the screws go in. It's really not uncommon to have your blades moved a couple of times before the permanent mount.

Do not worry about weight and the blade. It will be fine, provided the blade isn't wobbly.

With the boots, you did absolutely the right thing sticking to your guns about the Ice Fly/Piano issue. I think you'll be fine in the Freestyle, although they may break down a little soon than if you were a lightweight teen, but by then you can can move up to the Debuts and the Coronation Ace or MK Pro combination we talked about.

But my best advice is that you should go to a reputable fitter/skate tech, who can really help. I have my doubts about the motives and knowledge of coaches who try to sell top level boots to total beginners. I'm sure @Ic3Rabbit will be able to recommend just the right person for you to see.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I lost a tiny bit of faith when my coach wanted me (with wide feet and only 8 skates EVER at that time) to buy Edea Pianos because she said it was impossible to overboot with Edea. This rink really doesn’t have any plus size skaters and I think they just aren’t sure what to do with me.
<<Emphasis added.>> You're being waaay too tolerant. Personally I would lose all faith in a coach who recommends Pianos to a newbie (regardless of the weight of the newbie). You need a new coach pronto monto.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Where are you located? There are enough people here who can point you toward a reputable skate tech and fitter

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Before you get the blades permanently mounted, have someone take pictures/video of you standing and skating on the ice, from the front and the back, so the degree of supination can be adequately assessed. I pronate pretty severely and have had to do many, many homemade adjustments inside to boot as well as moving the blades.

christy

On the Ice
<<Emphasis added.>> You're being waaay too tolerant. Personally I would lose all faith in a coach who recommends Pianos to a newbie (regardless of the weight of the newbie). You need a new coach pronto monto.
THIS!!! Seriously, there's no way a coach should be recommending skates of that level and price to a newbie.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I find this statement a little unfair to the coach without any other information. Is a Piano a way more advanced boot than necessary, yes. But as a skater who was larger than average growing up, weight is a factor. I was skating in skates rated for triples/quads when I was doing doubles and destroying them in a year when I was skating properly. I find that weight is something that is often not considered by skate fitters, especially when fitting adults or skaters who are larger than the average. I routinely have to send my beginner StarSkate adults back to the skate shop after a few months because they have already broken down the skates they were fitted with based on their level because the fitter didn't consider the fact that they are fully grown, not children. I have several adults who are comfortable in skates 2 - 3 levels higher than recommended based on their skill level due to their size.

Yes, recommending Pianos was probably overkill (I also don't believe you can't overboot in Edeas, whatever people say), but the OP did mention that their rink doesn't really have plus-sized skaters, so I think that needs to be considered when judging the coach. This isn't something that is routinely taught to coaches and you can't know what you don't know.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I find this statement a little unfair to the coach without any other information. Is a Piano a way more advanced boot than necessary, yes. But as a skater who was larger than average growing up, weight is a factor. I was skating in skates rated for triples/quads when I was doing doubles and destroying them in a year when I was skating properly. I find that weight is something that is often not considered by skate fitters, especially when fitting adults or skaters who are larger than the average. I routinely have to send my beginner StarSkate adults back to the skate shop after a few months because they have already broken down the skates they were fitted with based on their level because the fitter didn't consider the fact that they are fully grown, not children. I have several adults who are comfortable in skates 2 - 3 levels higher than recommended based on their skill level due to their size.

Yes, recommending Pianos was probably overkill (I also don't believe you can't overboot in Edeas, whatever people say), but the OP did mention that their rink doesn't really have plus-sized skaters, so I think that needs to be considered when judging the coach. This isn't something that is routinely taught to coaches and you can't know what you don't know.
You were in skates for triples while doing doubles. This person was a complete beginner.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
But, seriously, you would rally behind a coach who recommends a total newbie (who needs to find out whether figure skating is indeed a suitable sport for her) shell out $859 for a pair of boots? If the coach is not qualified to give a recommendation for a particular skater, then she should not give one.