Hersh on Michelle | Golden Skate

Hersh on Michelle

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
She looks amazing in that photo.
I think that this year's nationals made Michelle and Sasha smile a little wider. Maybe they havent lost as much ground as they thought.
:biggrin:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
what is that? do you hear that sound? yes! its the sound of KW's worshipping at alter that is Michelle Kwan while cooking chicken & popping junior mints... c'mon ubers (Sasha's too...) let's wish her back on the ice...:bow::bow:

I need a little snarky uber-fest to erase the '09 US nationals...

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Great article. I love how he says that a comeback would never diminish her past achievements. But so un-Hersh.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Does MK wish to pull a Witt?

She might - you can never tell... like Witt, Kwan loves to compete and the thrill of victory (the agony of defeat) just might be too strong a call for a healthy Kwan to pass up. The same applies to Sasha.

After Saturday night the pipe dream of fans started looking like "hmmm..."

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't know what to think. I guess after what happened Saturday night, they may be thinking, it may not be so bad after all. However, what I like to call the X-Factor will rear its ugly head again...had MK and/or Cohen been there, how would that have affected the others?

If they want another National title, fine. But unless they can do better than our current field of ladies at the OLYs, they would be wasting everyone's time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well MK had the ability to fully rotate jumps and to take off the correct edges (her lutz was at least on the flat, and might occasionally stray into ! but not e territory). The 3/3's are so penalized for UR that a Michelle clean 6 or 7 triple skate could win! but only if she learned all those COP spins and f/w's.

I'd love to see her back. Shoot. Alissa doesn't do more than 3lz2t and 5 triples planned and usually not landed. Heck yes, if Michelle's hip will hold up, I'd LOVE to see her back on the ice.

And it's wonderful to know that her hip doesn't pain her after skating any more.

I'd love to see her skating professionally for that matter.

:love::love:

If Michelle could even medal at next year's Olympics and then start a pro tour to replace COI, wouldn't that give US skating a shot in the arm!

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Great article. I love how he says that a comeback would never diminish her past achievements. But so un-Hersh.

That right there is just Hersh BS - he'd be the first person to lay into her for coming back and not winning big - the the kind of cretinous reporter he is.

Ant

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Here's my thing with Hersh... he can be very harsh, almost mean, to skaters. However, with the exception of Ms. Christine - he's the only person in the mainstream media who discusses US skating... so I always give him the benefit of the doubt. At least its something...

And in comparison to how sports reporters go after other professional athletes, his analysis are tame in comparison.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well MK had the ability to fully rotate jumps and to take off the correct edges (her lutz was at least on the flat, and might occasionally stray into ! but not e territory). The 3/3's are so penalized for UR that a Michelle clean 6 or 7 triple skate could win! but only if she learned all those COP spins and f/w's.

I'd love to see her back. Shoot. Alissa doesn't do more than 3lz2t and 5 triples planned and usually not landed. Heck yes, if Michelle's hip will hold up, I'd LOVE to see her back on the ice.

And it's wonderful to know that her hip doesn't pain her after skating any more.

If Michelle could even medal at next year's Olympics and then start a pro tour to replace COI, wouldn't that give US skating a shot in the arm!

Doris I love your post almost as much as Phil's article. I am pleased that Michelle is training again. I had resigned myself to the real possibility that Michelle would not skate in public again. Wherever her training leads to does not matter to me as long as she will skate in some venue I will be a very happy person.

eta: Do they still sell junior mnts? lol

Last edited:
That right there is just Hersh BS - he'd be the first person to lay into her for coming back and not winning big - the the kind of cretinous reporter he is.
Although...Michelle Kwan is the one skater that Hersh has a little soft spot for.

A classic case of crusty old varmint meets irresisible charmer. :)

Michelle is/was a great figure skater - not a ballerina; not a showgirl; not an actress. Just about the best figure skater there is/was.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Doris, you made some great points in your post! Especially about the downgrading of triple-triple combinations. The lack of a consistent triple/triple was always Michelle's biggest weakness. But now, with so few triple/triples getting full credit anyhow, it might actually be less of an issue than it was before!

I agree Michelle would need to upgrade her spins and footwork a bit. The overall high quality and great technique of her skating would serve her well, though.

One thing that might worry me a bit is Michelle's speed on the ice. Mao, Yu-Na, and Carolina are all very fast skaters (especially Carolina), and we know the judges value that greatly. I'm not sure how Michelle would compare with them in terms of speed. That would be my biggest concern for her, aside of course from getting her jumps back.

If Michelle DOES come back, it will be an amazing moment, win or lose. Personally, I can't wait!

herios

Medalist
Well MK had the ability to fully rotate jumps and to take off the correct edges (her lutz was at least on the flat, and might occasionally stray into ! but not e territory). The 3/3's are so penalized for UR that a Michelle clean 6 or 7 triple skate could win! !

I have to laugh at this one,:

Trivia: when did Michelle last time landed 7 triples in a LP ?? :rofl:

You are dreaming ...big time!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I agree that if Michelle wanted that record making 10th Natioanal Title she would have a good shot. If next year is anything like this year, our top ladies aren't as strong as we set them up to be. But Michelle dosen't want that. Nobody among us really believes that Alissa could win, or even medal at the olympics. Even skating clean the chances of beating Yu-Na, Mao, Miki and Yukari, and yes dont forget about Carolina who can rack up huge scores. I don't think the allure of a record making national title woudl bring Michelle back. If that was the case, she would not have waited for an olympic year. She was Olympic Glory and the weak U.S ladies aren't going to help her achieve that goal at all.