How to know when a stiff boot is dead? | Golden Skate

How to know when a stiff boot is dead?

lyssx

Rinkside
Do all boots "crease" when they're dead, or do stiff boots die in some other way?

I'm wondering because my Risport Royal Pros (just about a year old, exactly) are visibly warping to match my slight pronation. You can see the ankle part has started to curve in when you look at them from the top, they aren't tying as securely, the tongue is getting harder to line up. I skate usually 8-12 hours a week and have all of my single jumps except axel (lutz is a little wonky still but I can technically land it more times than I fail.) I'm noticing that getting on my back outside edge is getting much more difficult, and my spins are getting harder to hold the sweet spot (feels like I'm falling on the inside edge). My loop jump is getting particularly sketchy.

But the boots still look fine otherwise, I don't want to blame my equipment for user error but it does seem like I'm struggling with a lot of skills that have been solid for a while now. I take good care of them so they're practically spotless (which means nothing in break down, I know), and there's no creasing (aside from the tongue). Is it possible they're dead? This is my first "real" pair of skates that I've had (second pair technically, but first pair had to be ditched within a few months because of improper size.)

Fitter said that as an adult skater these boots would likely last me years.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Do all boots "crease" when they're dead, or do stiff boots die in some other way?

I'm wondering because my Risport Royal Pros (just about a year old, exactly) are visibly warping to match my slight pronation.
Have you brought your boots back to the fitter to have them take a look (or has your coach taken a look)? Warping does not sound good - maybe you need adjustments to you blade placement, some supportive insoles, or some other correction to help counteract the pronation. Its hard to know without pictures but I would definitely have someone professional take a look to see if its something that has caused the boot to break down. Maybe you can have them re-heat molded to address the issue that they are not tying securely.

You are training a fair amount, even though you don't have any double jumps. Not sure how tall or heavy you are, and how long you have had these current boots, but depending on all of that they *could* be dead. Long story short, have your fitter take a look.

lyssx

Rinkside
Have you brought your boots back to the fitter to have them take a look (or has your coach taken a look)? Warping does not sound good - maybe you need adjustments to you blade placement, some supportive insoles, or some other correction to help counteract the pronation. Its hard to know without pictures but I would definitely have someone professional take a look to see if its something that has caused the boot to break down. Maybe you can have them re-heat molded to address the issue that they are not tying securely.

You are training a fair amount, even though you don't have any double jumps. Not sure how tall or heavy you are, and how long you have had these current boots, but depending on all of that they *could* be dead. Long story short, have your fitter take a look.

My coach is not very knowledgeable about equipment issues. I lost trust with my fitter after a bad sharpening that totally took the entire sharpening zone off of the heels off of my blades (they were almost dead anyway, but he said nothing about it, I guess hoped I wouldn't notice and then ghosted me when I sent pictures even though I had been a very loyal customer previously and had NEVER had issues before), so I've been in sharpener/fitter limbo for a few months now. I think I've found one I like, so I'll ask next time I stop by for a sharpening. To clarify, I did get new blades after that fiasco (and then had the BEST two months of skating in my life, followed by this horrific crash and burn), so the blades are good.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I'm wondering because my Risport Royal Pros (just about a year old, exactly) are visibly warping to match my slight pronation. You can see the ankle part has started to curve in when you look at them from the top, they aren't tying as securely, the tongue is getting harder to line up. I skate usually 8-12 hours a week and have all of my single jumps except axel (lutz is a little wonky still but I can technically land it more times than I fail.) I'm noticing that getting on my back outside edge is getting much more difficult, and my spins are getting harder to hold the sweet spot (feels like I'm falling on the inside edge). My loop jump is getting particularly sketchy.

But the boots still look fine otherwise, I don't want to blame my equipment for user error but it does seem like I'm struggling with a lot of skills that have been solid for a while now. I take good care of them so they're practically spotless (which means nothing in break down, I know), and there's no creasing (aside from the tongue). Is it possible they're dead? This is my first "real" pair of skates that I've had (second pair technically, but first pair had to be ditched within a few months because of improper size.)

They definitely won't last you years, so you were mislead there, I'm sad to say.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

Many adult skaters only spend an hour or two on the ice once, maybe twice a week. Many don't jump at all if they're into the pattern dances instead. It sounds as if your fitter didn't realize how many hours you were going to put on those boots. At 8-12 hours a week, and jumping, they definitely won't last years. Yours have come to the end of their lifespan.

Having said that, what do they look like on the inside? When I used to wear Jacksons, before I switched to Risport RF1 Elite, it was the molded lining that wore down first, flattened by pressure on the ankles jumping, pushing down into lift entries, and holding my edge on death spirals. There would be no obvious creasing on the outside, but inside, the lining was pressed thinner in the ankle areas.

However, if you can afford it, you should be looking into new boots. Is it possible you need stiffer boots next time? The Royal Pros are 65 and above that in Risport there's only 90s like my RF1s. That sounds like overbooting for what you're doing, but on the other hand sometimes it also can depend on your height and weight combination. I'm 50 kg/110 lbs which in theory shouldn't need a 90 stiffness, but there are other reasons why I use boots that stiff. There's leeway to suit an individual's needs.

silverlily1

On the Ice
I would definitely check to see whether there's some adjustment (like moving the blade inward to counteract your pronation) that might help your next boots last longer.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would definitely check to see whether there's some adjustment (like moving the blade inward to counteract your pronation) that might help your next boots last longer.
OP more than likely needs to see a podatrist to get orthotics that will fit their next pair of boots. Though it may help them with skating and the boot lasting a tiny bit longer w/ less damage, the boots won't last as long as they're hoping (years).