I think I need new boots and am interested in ice fly | Golden Skate

I think I need new boots and am interested in ice fly

esfir_iceskater

Spectator
I’ve been skating for a little more than a year and have Jackson ultima freestyle boots (been wearing them for a year). I’ve noticed that my boots are feeling loose, and I’m getting ankle pain and blisters every time I skate. I train 6+ hours a week. I currently have my double-loop and am working on my double-salchow, and I almost landed my axel. My edges/jumps have been feeling weird the past month, and I am getting more pain after skating than usual. Lots of other girls at my rink have edea ice flys and haven’t even landed their doubles yet, so I thought it might be a good option for me. I’m 17, and 4’11, and weigh 97pounds. What do you guys think I should do? I really need help!!

Edit: I went to my dealer a few days ago; he said that the ice fly would be great for my foot type, so I tried them on, and I loved them! I honestly wasn't sure whether I would like them or not, but they're the comfiest skates ever! I also got paramount blades because they were the most affordable higher level blades at my shop. I have been skating in my Ice Flys for a couple of days, and I can already feel a huge (positive!) difference in my jumps, edges, and spins! Everything fits perfectly, and I'm so happy! The only problem I've been experiencing is a pain in my foot arches when I'm skating, I did contact my dealer and he told me its normal to have some pain when getting used to new skates. I don't know if you guys have had this problem but I'm hoping it'll either go away with time or have an easy fix (like an extra arch support insert or something). Thanks for all the help guys! 😊

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’ve been skating for a little more than a year and have Jackson ultima freestyle boots (been wearing them for a year). I’ve noticed that my boots are feeling loose and I’m getting ankle pain and blisters every time I skate. I train 6+ hours a week. I currently have my double-loop and am working on my double-salcow, and almost landed my axel. My edges/jumps have been feeling weird the past month and I am getting more pain after skating than usual. Lots of other girls at my rink have edea ice flys and haven’t even landed their doubles yet, so I thought it might be a good option for me. I’m 17, and 4’11 and weigh 97pounds. What do you guys think I should do? I really need help!!
Don't get ice flys just to fit in with the rest of the girls (who don't even need them). Since you asked what you should do, here's some advice from a pro.

Go get fit by a skate fitter (one that does figure skates and is a pro at it, not someone that messes with mostly hockey skates all day). Have them give you a proper fitting (this includes making a tracing of your foot and taking measurements). Once that is done they can suggest what brands and models/styles are best for your particular feet, as well as current and near future skill level, etc. That is what you should do.

ETA: You never said what blades you are on now, so I can't make suggestions for your next ones.

Last edited:

esfir_iceskater

Spectator
Don't get ice flys just to fit in with the rest of the girls (who don't even need them). Since you asked what you should do, here's some advice from a pro.

Go get fit by a skate fitter (one that does figure skates and is a pro at it, not someone that messes with mostly hockey skates all day). Have them give you a proper fitting (this includes making a tracing of your foot and taking measurements). Once that is done they can suggest what brands and models/styles are best for your particular feet, as well as current and near future skill level, etc. That is what you should do.

ETA: You never said what blades you are on now, so I can't make suggestions for your next ones.
Thank you so much for your advice! I’m definitely open to other skate brands! I’m not sure why everyone wears edea in my rink lol! I’m probably gonna stop by my local dealer at some point in the next couple weeks. :)

skatingbeast

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I’ve been skating for a little more than a year and have Jackson ultima freestyle boots (been wearing them for a year). I’ve noticed that my boots are feeling loose and I’m getting ankle pain and blisters every time I skate. I train 6+ hours a week. I currently have my double-loop and am working on my double-salcow, and almost landed my axel. My edges/jumps have been feeling weird the past month and I am getting more pain after skating than usual. Lots of other girls at my rink have edea ice flys and haven’t even landed their doubles yet, so I thought it might be a good option for me. I’m 17, and 4’11 and weigh 97pounds. What do you guys think I should do? I really need help!!
Keep in mind Edeas are going to feel incredibly different than your Jacksons. The design of them causes them to feel loose at the ankle and the high heel is going to put more weight on the ball of your foot. So, if you do switch to them, know that it can take some adjusting. Some people love Edeas and find them super comfy and others are plagued by arch pain and heel slippage, just depends on your feet! Also, the memory foam in them can wear down far before the actual boot breaks down causing them to feel big.

Since you're 17, I'm assuming your parents are paying for them, so money might not be a concern. But if it is a concern, you may be fine in another brand that has a high support rating that is $200 cheaper than the Ice Fly and will last twice as long.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
<points upwards> What Ic3Rabbit said! I'm fed up to the back teeth of seeing people complaining that they "can't get [their] loop jump" or "have lost" their spiral, when the problem is that they're wearing boots that are too stiff/advanced for their level of strength and skating! It's a fallacy that it's impossible for adults to overboot in Edea. Just because "they're comfortable" doesn't mean they're helping... It's better to be a good skater in, for example, Overtures than a beginner in Ice Fly!

I'm willing to go a step further than Ic3Rabbit and recommend Coronation Ace for blades. They're hardly ever the wrong answer. Fabulous blades.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
<points upwards> What Ic3Rabbit said! I'm fed up to the back teeth of seeing people complaining that they "can't get [their] loop jump" or "have lost" their spiral, when the problem is that they're wearing boots that are too stiff/advanced for their level of strength and skating! It's a fallacy that it's impossible for adults to overboot in Edea. Just because "they're comfortable" doesn't mean they're helping... It's better to be a good skater in, for example, Overtures than a beginner in Ice Fly!

I'm willing to go a step further than Ic3Rabbit and recommend Coronation Ace for blades. They're hardly ever the wrong answer. Fabulous blades.
I was willing to recommend blades, but I wanted to know what she was using first.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! The blades I currently have are Jackson ultima Aspire XP and are 9 1/2 long. They came mounted on my skates when I first got them.
Whoa, you realise you are doing doubles on blades for basic skills level? Get yourself some MK Pro, JW Coro Aces or at your jump level you could even go to Gold Seals, P99's, Gold Stars or Phantoms.

esfir_iceskater

Spectator
Keep in mind Edeas are going to feel incredibly different than your Jacksons. The design of them causes them to feel loose at the ankle and the high heel is going to put more weight on the ball of your foot. So, if you do switch to them, know that it can take some adjusting. Some people love Edeas and find them super comfy and others are plagued by arch pain and heel slippage, just depends on your feet! Also, the memory foam in them can wear down far before the actual boot breaks down causing them to feel big.

Since you're 17, I'm assuming your parents are paying for them, so money might not be a concern. But if it is a concern, you may be fine in another brand that has a high support rating that is $200 cheaper than the Ice Fly and will last twice as long.
Have you heard good things about Risport? My coach has them (boots). I’m honestly just curious since I never seem to see a lot of people wear them (except my coach 😄)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Have you heard good things about Risport? My coach has them (boots). I’m honestly just curious since I never seem to see a lot of people wear them (except my coach 😄)
More skaters wear Risport than you know, esp the elites and pros. I for one wear them now as a pro and have worn them competing at elite level. They are great boots, if they work for your feet.

Some skaters who have worn or wear them: Higuchi, Honda, Joubert, Asada, Scimeca-Knierim, Yuna Kim, Cipres, Tuk, Sotnikova, Bobrova, Tarasova, Weaver, Uno, Kovtun, Sui/Han, Bradley, Cappellini/Lanotte.

Last edited:

esfir_iceskater

Spectator
More skaters wear Risport than you know, esp the elites and pros. I for one wear them now as a pro and have worn them competing at elite level. They are great boots, if they work for your feet.

Some skaters who have worn or wear them: Higuchi, Honda, Joubert, Asada, Scimeca-Knierim, Yuna Kim, Cipres, Tuk, Sotnikova, Bobrova, Tarasova, Weaver, Uno, Kovtun, Sui/Han, Bradley, Cappellini/Lanotte.
I will definitely try them on in the store, they look very comfy! Thanks again for your help with everything! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I will definitely try them on in the store, they look very comfy! Thanks again for your help with everything! :)
You are welcome! :) Again, make sure you get a proper fitting for your feet with a pro tech. And not just pick out boots for whatever other reason.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Ice Rabbit is turning posters here on to Risport, one by one! Definitely seem to be popular here lately.
Ic3Rabbit recommended both Jackson and Risport to me when I asked for advice and I found that Risport Royal Pro were perfect for me. In fact, I love mine so much, I bought another pair so that I now have them for ice and artistic inlines! I'm seeing more and more people in the UK go from Edea to Risport, too, as they've discovered that Edea just don't work for them or that they've been ridiculously over-booted by unscrupulous online "pro shops". I've also seen others go from Edea to Jackson with equal delight but it was Risport that worked for me.

I'd also go with whatever The Oracle aka Ic3Rabbit recommends when it comes to blades. She knows her stuff.

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I currently have the Ice Flies, and they're great if they work for your feet. I absolutely love mine, but don't get them just because everyone else at your rink is getting them! I've also tried on the Risports, and they are incredibly comfortable. At the end of the day, it really comes down to what works best for your feet! Coronation Ace blades are incredibly solid, as everyone in the thread has recommended. There's a reason we all hype them up!!
(Also--I switched from Jackson to Edea a few years ago, and it WILL feel extremely weird at first. If you end up switching to Edea, give yourself time to adjust to the new boots, as they function differently then what people are used to. They're fantastic once you do!! But again--listen to your tech, and don't get them just because they're what's 'in')

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I used to have riedell bronze stars and when I had to move up due to a bunch of issues they had me try on the Ice Fly's and my feet absolutely hated them. I've used Riedell my entire life and I have super flat feet and I felt no ankle support in the ice flys (which is part of why i needed new skates). Ended up with the riedell silver stars which will hopefully last me a while, and then I'll go back to my skate store and retry on skates and see what best fits my needs.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

Don't forget Sasha Trusova! She alone is proof they are good jumping boots.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The only problem I've been experiencing is a pain in my foot arches when I'm skating, I did contact my dealer and he told me its normal to have some pain when getting used to new skates. I don't know if you guys have had this problem but I'm hoping it'll either go away with time or have an easy fix (like an extra arch support insert or something). Thanks for all the help guys! 😊
This is common in new skates. I have this in my new Pianos. I have arch pain no matter what brand of skates I wear; had it in Jacksons, had it in Edeas, and had it in Riedells. When they get more broken in, you won't have to push as hard with all the tiny muscles in your feet and they won't have as much pain.