I think: ISU and judges are tired of the veterans | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I think: ISU and judges are tired of the veterans

miki88

Medalist
If you're a Russian skater, URs and edge calls apparently don't exist. ;)

Does anyone else think 6.0 wasn't so bad after all? At least we get to see who gave the marks to which skater. :p

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the judges are ready for new blood, they are not alone. I'm ready for new faces to emerge, too.

I'm more interested in the new Russian pair than I am in V/T. I'm interested in seeing where US ice dance goes when D/W move on. After their superb tango FD, I want to see where W/P can take Canadian dance.

I'm ready for all the "top tier" of men to move on. It's been an uninspiring quad in that discipline.

I'm tired of the endless, pointless, tedious debates about Mao, Yuna, Carolina. I want to see Polina develop, Gracie to continue with a mature style. I want to see where Japanese ladies pick up with the retirement of their podium contenders. I think Canadian women will become a greater force in the next 4 years; they do have some promising young talent.

PS. None if this is to say I am not a fan/haven't enjoyed those skaters I've mentioned by name... I'm just ready for something new.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

neither does being unable to get +3 for elements that arent even merely landed cleanly as V&T and their +3s for a throw landed on two foot and with a hand down proved. By the next Games the Russian hot shot (Radianova, still V&T, I&K) will be getting +3s in GOE with a fall. They will justify it by saying oh she/they still got the 1 point deduction for a fall. :rolleye:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree but it was stupid of them to need to send the message this season and at the Games. That trio were all certain to retire after this season anyway. Would marking them fairly in their last season have been too much to ask. Apparently so. If one of them surprised and stayed then send them the message then in a post Olympic World with nobody outside skating nuts following, not at the Olympics and in the Olympic season with everyone following. In the end they are the big losers as they look like the joke and so does their already struggling sport.
One would hope marking would always be fair but remember Mao and carolina have been held up so many times. Irony.

vegarin

On the Ice

Does anyone else think 6.0 wasn't so bad after all? At least we get to see who gave the marks to which skater. :p

Apparently. Wow, they were so blatant with judging in this Olympics I still can't get over it.

I think I heard the US fed requested that the judges would no longer be anonymous and ISU would be reviewing it. But I don't really trust them to go through it.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
One would hope marking would always be fair but remember Mao and carolina have been held up so many times. Irony.

Carolina was held up once in her career- 2008 Worlds. Yeah so many times. Mao was held up once in her career- 2012 NHK. Try again.

whatif

Medalist
I think the US federation needs make up their mind. The judging was not anonymous before 2002 changes. They insisted in making it so. Making judges scores transparent may help to point fingers but it won't solve the ultimate problem of subjectivity of this sport.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If the judges are ready for new blood, they are not alone. I'm ready for new faces to emerge, too.

I'm more interested in the new Russian pair than I am in V/T. I'm interested in seeing where US ice dance goes when D/W move on. After their superb tango FD, I want to see where W/P can take Canadian dance.

I'm ready for all the "top tier" of men to move on. It's been an uninspiring quad in that discipline.

I'm tired of the endless, pointless, tedious debates about Mao, Yuna, Carolina. I want to see Polina develop, Gracie to continue with a mature style. I want to see where Japanese ladies pick up with the retirement of their podium contenders. I think Canadian women will become a greater force in the next 4 years; they do have some promising young talent.

PS. None if this is to say I am not a fan/haven't enjoyed those skaters I've mentioned by name... I'm just ready for something new.

Perhaps all four disciplines have not expereinced glory days. Carolina the stalker of jumps and underperformer despite elegance constantly held up/ Yuna the pretty princess but not particularly inspiring or unique, mao the underachiever with ugly costumes, patrick the most amazng skating skills but can't land, Hanyu sloppy, overrated, hyuoutfhul but still rather blah, Dai a fading star, V and T not special. Ssquared panicking fading star, D and W and V and M not having the charisma or star power of yester year, Good skaters but not special. maybe that is the problem And yes for wh atever reason it seems like some of the skaters have been dragging along from Ssquared, pang and tong to Joubert et al. Maybe cop is killing the sport makign it too hard for singles skaters really to skate with personality or in the case of the men clean. The Americans now look like the pretty princesses but where is the specialness the uniqueness. thank goodness Ashley puts her mouth or facial expressions to show her real feelings - honesty. Remember when these skaters started many of them were considered overmarked.

minze

Medalist

Fair enough

jaylee

Medalist
That doesn't mea she flutzed this time. No one has produced an image of the edge rolling over to the inside.

She did flutz, as she has all season long and her entire career. Nothing changed. You can go look at it in HD on nbcolympics.com.

Yulia has done more real lutzes than Adelina. See 2012 Cup of China. Yulia had a history of flutzing, and I was looking at the replay very carefully. To my surprise, I agreed that it was a real lutz. It hasn't remained consistent, though.

Ironically, improving her lutz at the time caused Yulia's flip entry to change so she got an edge call on the flip.

vegarin

On the Ice
She did flutz, as she has all season long and her entire career. Nothing changed. You can go look at it in HD on nbcolympics.com.

Yulia has done more real lutzes than Adelina. See 2012 Cup of China. Yulia had a history of flutzing, and I was looking at the replay very carefully. To my surprise, I agreed that it was a real lutz. It hasn't remained consistent, though.

Ironically, improving her lutz at the time caused Yulia's flip entry to change so she got an edge call on the flip.

Yeah, people seem to think flutz can easily fixed within a month for some mysterious reason.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
IMO the judges, and officials are ready for new blood. The veterans: Yuna,Mao and Caro have dominated this sport for so long the judges were sending them a message. Retire. We no longer think your PCS are way above the newbies.

This is entirely plausible, but I think for a different reason. The ISU doesn't make money off of retired skaters; they do shows and occasionally professional competitions, and the ISU doesn't see a dime of it. By having an Olympic champion stay eligible for another four years, that is potentially 8 GP events, 4 GP finals, 4 Euros and 4 WCs that feature an OGM. I'm not saying it is right but it makes financial sense from the perspective of the ISU.

In addition to the Russian scores, having Gracie within about a point of Mao on PCS is also laughable.

Nater

Match Penalty
No. I haven't heard a thing like that. She's still got the same deep edges. And that explains Caro's how? Or Adelina overscoring them both on CH? Please.

Deep Edges doesn't make you get levels on your SS. Shallow edges can still get all the requirements done for level 4. Deeper edges *do* affect the GOE which is awarded regardless of level. For example, Sakhanovic of Russia gets +3 GOEs on her LSp3 even though she doesn't get the highest spin level (she doesn't often do the Biellmann), but the spin she does is ridiculously fast and very well centered, and the positions are decent.

What makes you lose levels on SS are when you go into turns on the wrong edge, come out of turns on the wrong edge, cut off the exit edge of turns (a LOT of skaters do this with Loops, they step or turn out of them without any clear exit edge), omit required turns. There is such a thing as an invalid turn, and that's what happens when you do a loop that looks like a '6' casue you stepped out of it without doing the required exit edge.

If you want a solid IJS SS, you have to "overload" your step sequence so that it goes beyond the bare minimums, that way the judges will still give you a level 4 even if you miss some turns. You will get the level, but you may or may not lose some GOE if there were some invalid turns in the footwork (the judges give GOE, the caller gives levels). Keep in mind the factoring for GOE can differ based on the level of the skill for some elements, so whether you go for less difficulty but higher quality ... or higher difficulty with potentially less quality (with an overloaded sequence it *can* look a bit unwieldy at times) is a tactical call for the skater and coaches to make.

It is all about the numbers, and we see it all the time. Terrible Biellman positions, and when it was a requirement, terrible spirals where skaters were doing positions that they probably shouldn't be doing for points.

The same goes with the SS and Transitions PCS categories. Deep Edges are great for those, but if you skate predominately with cross overs in one direction and don't have as many as the other skater, the judges will factor that in. Quantity of Transitions, Use of Lower and Upper Body, Bi-Directional Skating, Transitions into and Out of Elements, Speed of entry/exit, Depth of Edge, Balance, etc. are all supposed to be factored into those two PCS categories.

It did seem like there was a trend where:

Juniors and Newer Skaters: They put transitions everywhere in their programs in an attempt to force the judges to give them higher PCS. Their programs were sometimes "over-choreographed" (sometimes less is more, sometimes more is more, depends on the program).

Veterans: They tended to be able to get away with easier skating in the program with less transitions and still rake in huge components scores.

And hopefully the judges put an end to that soon and start actually judging what they see and not based on a skater's Age, Competition Tier (Junior/Senior), Reputation, Country, Looks, Body Type, or whatever.