I, Tonya (2018) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

I, Tonya (2018)

andromache

Record Breaker
Sebastian Stan is such a babe. Too bad he is playing such a despicable guy. I don't want to wind up thinking Jeff Gillooly is hot!

Imagine

Medalist
I've sort of assumed by default that this is going to be one of those crappy Lifetime-esque films but judging by what little has been show, Robbie is actually really convincing. I am surprised. Perhaps for the 3A they can hook her up into one of those fishing pole thingies skaters use to practice jumps and then digitally erase the wires.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I've sort of assumed by default that this is going to be one of those crappy Lifetime-esque films but judging by what little has been show, Robbie is actually really convincing. I am surprised. Perhaps for the 3A they can hook her up into one of those fishing pole thingies skaters use to practice jumps and then digitally erase the wires.

Either that, or they'll put a wig on Tuk. In the movie "American Anthem", the used Julianne McNamara as a 'Stunt Double" for all of Janet Jones' tumbling scenes. I don't remember who they hired for "The Cutting Edge" but they definitely had doubles for the stars.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Sebastian Stan is such a babe. Too bad he is playing such a despicable guy. I don't want to wind up thinking Jeff Gillooly is hot!

All you have to do is find pictures of the real Jeff, and you'll have no problem seeing the difference.....With all of Tonya's talent, I will always be convinced that she was extremely insecure. In 1991 she was one of the most popular sports figures in the US. There was even a clip of her 3A shown during a football game after Win at Skate America in 1991. She could have had her pick of eligible men and she chose the biggest loser west of the Mississippi. :disapp:

Here's the REAL Jeff: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/17/article-0-1A2720B200000578-139_634x464.jpg

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The Movie "USS Indianapolis", the true story of a US Cruiser sunk by a Japanese sub in WWII in shark infested waters, staring Nickolas Caige, no less, was so bad it went right to DVD, skipping the theaters....
Any bets on how long I, Tonya will last at the theater?
"Miramax bought U.S. distribution rights last month to the comedy," (Variety Magazine)
Lets see...release it in the Oly year....YEAH! That's the ticket!

Last edited:

lyndichee

Medalist
I actually think Margot Robbie is testing the waters for an Oscar nomination. I don't know if you guys are all familiar, but Natalie Portman had a mini fiasco when they were politicking for an Oscar saying she learned how to do ballet in a year for the film when in reality most of it was CGI'ed and it was obvious in a couple scenes a year of training did not bring her close to Sarah Lane's level (Soloist - ABT).

I can't help but feel like her company will talk about how she learned to skate and promote her as some sort of figure skating prodigy. I just hope they highlight the sport in the movie rather than cheapen it for a storyline.

mrrice

Record Breaker
More skating footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq6oYImn9Yg

This looking greater and greater with every new footage I see.

Wow!!! I have seen Tonya perform live and that was a really good interpretation of the real Tonya. :bow:

I am guessing the point of this movie is to show a different side of Tonya. This story has been told through a previous Movie and again through personal interviews of both Tonya and Nancy. I guess I fail to see the Point. Especially after all these years. Most young people today have no idea who these ladies are and those who do, have better things to do than pay for a Movie when they can watch a different version on YouTube for free.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Wow!!! I have seen Tonya perform live and that was a really good interpretation of the real Tonya. :bow:

I am guessing the point of this movie is to show a different side of Tonya. This story has been told through a previous Movie and again through personal interviews of both Tonya and Nancy. I guess I fail to see the Point. Especially after all these years. Most young people today have no idea who these ladies are and those who do, have better things to do than pay for a Movie when they can watch a different version on YouTube for free.

I kinda think that is part of the point. While most of us have seen this movie before because we lived it... we now have a generation of adults and teens with disposable income that have not seen it and don't know about it. We have a generation of target audience for whom this is new.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I kinda think that is part of the point. While most of us have seen this movie before because we lived it... we now have a generation of adults and teens with disposable income that have not seen it and don't know about it. We have a generation of target audience for whom this is new.

This comment is completely true! I'm sure there is a whole new audience for this movie but, what is going to draw them into seeing it. The target audience for skating is small enough and I fear that this movie will make skating into a joke just before the Olympics begin. I'm saying this as a Californian who experienced the thrills that Tonya, Kristi, Rudy, and Brian Boitano have generated in our state. Tonya's 3A was celebrated almost as much as Brian and Kristi's Olympic Win's. I still say that Rudy's surprise win in 1996 was the biggest event in the Gay Community since Brian Boitano's win in 88'. Those are moments I'd like to see made into movies as they provide a "Feel Good" storyline that even Non-Skating fans can celebrate.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker

mrrice

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IILINv24knA (Warning: Verbally explicit)

Oh my Lord....if anyone had any doubts, this clip alone seems to indicate a Lifetime screening.:palmf:

Shame since in the other link posted here, she seemed to be choreographing very well, very Tonya-like. :slink:

Holy Cow....Spectacular!! I tell you what, they are certainly going all out on this film. I still can't believe how they got Allison Janney to look exactly like Tonya's Mother.