Ice Wars Discussion Thread | Golden Skate

Ice Wars Discussion Thread

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
considering there aren't all that many "young" pros these days.... what did you expect

GO TEAM KURT :love:

orchid

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
considering there aren't all that many "young" pros these days.... what did you expect

GO TEAM KURT :love:

I expected nothing !!!!!!!!!

My point is what is the point of this self-congradulatory exhibition ?

mememe

On the Ice
orchid said:
I expected nothing !!!!!!!!!

My point is what is the point of this self-congradulatory exhibition ?

To have this long-time event happen this year so that when some of the eligible skaters (maybe) finally decide to hang up the eligibles skates after the 2006 Olympics, there'll be at least one pro comp still left in the U.S. for them to participate in if they so desire? (That was one reason many of these, um, "self-congratulatory" skaters, several of whom had figured they'd hung up their competitive skates, cited as their purpose in signing on this year.)

To show folks that they've still got something to offer, even if they are over 30? (Not that that is necessary for most fans -- I'm sure you're not among them, but many fans actually seem to WANT to see these "self-congratulatory" skaters perform, and for the most part, these skaters take time off of self-congratulating to train hard and be in great shape to perform. Oddly enough, some fans even seem to PREFER these "self-congratulatory" skaters to the, uh, non-self-congratulatory eligible skaters, and events like these to the GP).

To offer fans a chance to see some of their "veteran" favorites, along with a few younger, newer faces, in a night of enjoyable skating and fun, with the added spice (or pressure, if you talk to the skaters) of a "winner" being declared at the end?

To get skating on prime time and remind the public it still exists?

Well, those are some of the reasons I can come up with right off the bat for this event to take place. I attended it, and didn't find any self-congratulations involved at all. I watched eight pretty darn good skaters -- at least, good enough to entertain me, but maybe I'm not as refined, or whatever, as you -- for the most part take very seriously that there were judges sitting across the way to give them marks, and yet not worry too much whether they actually won or lost, because after all, they've experienced skating judging of all kinds over the years and know you can only do your best and see what happens. And if they managed to entertain the audience (and it seemed they all did), then that was the most important part of the night (tho' none of them wanted to see low scores and did their best not to deserve them). The performances were varied and interesting and fun to watch. The audience seemed to have a ball. They had fun watching the programs and cheering (or booing) the judging. The skaters all seemed to enjoy it, especially after it was over (most of them saying that nerves, because it was a competition, made for some butterflies beforehand).

So, is there supposed to be some big, universe-shaking REASON for any skating event? I'm not expecting much (if anything) from the Marshalls event this Sunday, but I don't think I would term the skaters involved in it, nor the event itself, as "self-congratulatory." I don't think there has to be a big, earth-shattering reason for any figure skating event to exist. I guess if you come right down to brass tacks, it exists because sponsors and a TV network figured it would get good enough ratings to give them a return on their dollars. That's why MOST figure skating events -- and myriad other events -- exist.

And since you expect nothing, I'm sure you won't waste your time watching it, so hey ... it doesn't really exist for you. How fortunate!

heyang

Record Breaker
It is one of the only pro events left and I prefer it to the musical schlock shows from a television viewing perspective. The non-comp shows end up showing the musical performers for more than 1/2 of the routines, which means it's not an ice show, it's a concert.

Which of the pro's are missing? Kristi - well, she just had a baby and I certainly didn't expect her to participate based since she was pregnant at the time of this competition. Tara & Sarah are out of skating. With the exception of one of the ladies, these are your best available marquee names in the current pro ranks. I call Maria B an exception because she does not have major name recognition to the general public.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ok so we complain about the CoP because it takes the "art" out of the sport

the pro world has the art... but we can't let them have competitions because they're "OLD"?????

Give me 39 year old KURT over 20+ year old Evan ANYday.

SingAlto

On the Ice
orchid said:
This event will be on air Dec 10. Based upon the participants, I surmise this "competition" has lost it's luster. Regardles, Enjoy 8-10pm CBS

http://kurtfiles.com/events/icewars05.php

You'll be happy to know that this is the last Ice Wars for one of the "old farts", Boitano. I'm sure that someone much younger, vital, and certainly more talented will replace him next year. :sheesh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
SingAlto said:
You'll be happy to know that this is the last Ice Wars for one of the "old farts", Boitano. I'm sure that someone much younger, vital, and certainly more talented will replace him next year. :sheesh:

Kurt is already a part of Ice Wars, so how can someone better than Boitano come in his place? ;)

seriously though... it's his last one and they arent even putting him against Kurt just one last time????? *sniffle*

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Give me the pros anytime! I miss the pro competitions so much! Yes, I can do without many of the props, but I do look forward to their skating. :clap:

I wish we had the Oxygen Channel as part of our basic cable service so we could also watch the World Team Challenge. :cry:

It's another one of those competitions that have an insignificant sports result. Who cares who wins?

It does make for some interesting exhibition skating. I'm interested in watching it because I want to see how these 'old' guys and gals are holding up. With that cast of competitors, it should be a great show.

Joe

Jill

On the Ice
I don't know, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing Yags again. You remember him, don't you? That craggy old guy who used to be hot?

I can only agree with those who have already given excellent reasons why this competition is still around and why it's important!
I'll take an aged Kurt, Brian, Kat, Katia, etc. over a flailing Plushenko who looks like he's swatting at bees any day!
There is NOT enough good pro stuff around anymore!
At least it is all skating! The "singers and skaters" special are okay, but as Heyang mentioned, the emphasis is not solely on the skating.

orchid

On the Ice
mememe said:
To have this long-time event happen this year so that when some of the eligible skaters (maybe) finally decide to hang up the eligibles skates after the 2006 Olympics, there'll be at least one pro comp still left in the U.S. for them to participate in if they so desire? (That was one reason many of these, um, "self-congratulatory" skaters, several of whom had figured they'd hung up their competitive skates, cited as their purpose in signing on this year.)

To show folks that they've still got something to offer, even if they are over 30? (Not that that is necessary for most fans -- I'm sure you're not among them, but many fans actually seem to WANT to see these "self-congratulatory" skaters perform, and for the most part, these skaters take time off of self-congratulating to train hard and be in great shape to perform. Oddly enough, some fans even seem to PREFER these "self-congratulatory" skaters to the, uh, non-self-congratulatory eligible skaters, and events like these to the GP).

To offer fans a chance to see some of their "veteran" favorites, along with a few younger, newer faces, in a night of enjoyable skating and fun, with the added spice (or pressure, if you talk to the skaters) of a "winner" being declared at the end?

To get skating on prime time and remind the public it still exists?

Well, those are some of the reasons I can come up with right off the bat for this event to take place. I attended it, and didn't find any self-congratulations involved at all. I watched eight pretty darn good skaters -- at least, good enough to entertain me, but maybe I'm not as refined, or whatever, as you -- for the most part take very seriously that there were judges sitting across the way to give them marks, and yet not worry too much whether they actually won or lost, because after all, they've experienced skating judging of all kinds over the years and know you can only do your best and see what happens. And if they managed to entertain the audience (and it seemed they all did), then that was the most important part of the night (tho' none of them wanted to see low scores and did their best not to deserve them). The performances were varied and interesting and fun to watch. The audience seemed to have a ball. They had fun watching the programs and cheering (or booing) the judging. The skaters all seemed to enjoy it, especially after it was over (most of them saying that nerves, because it was a competition, made for some butterflies beforehand).

So, is there supposed to be some big, universe-shaking REASON for any skating event? I'm not expecting much (if anything) from the Marshalls event this Sunday, but I don't think I would term the skaters involved in it, nor the event itself, as "self-congratulatory." I don't think there has to be a big, earth-shattering reason for any figure skating event to exist. I guess if you come right down to brass tacks, it exists because sponsors and a TV network figured it would get good enough ratings to give them a return on their dollars. That's why MOST figure skating events -- and myriad other events -- exist.

And since you expect nothing, I'm sure you won't waste your time watching it, so hey ... it doesn't really exist for you. How fortunate!

Redirect your energy to the subject rather than a personal address. I can have an opinion as may anyone else here.

p,s, Congrats for attending the event
:rock:

mememe

On the Ice
orchid said:
Redirect your energy to the subject rather than a personal address. I can have an opinion as may anyone else here.

p,s, Congrats for attending the event
:rock:

You certainly have a right to your opinion, just as I have a right to mine. You expressed yours (fervently, if the number of exclamation points was any indication) -- I expressed mine (in greater length, but possibly no more fervently). You called the event self-congratulatory, I expressed reasons why I didn't think it was. You wondered what the point of having such an event was, I gave my opinion as to some of the reasons I could see for having it. I do not agree with your opinion, and I certainly have no expectations that you would agree with mine.

As for attending the event -- I feel pretty lucky to have been there. It was a lot of fun. Hopefully, you'll be able to attend (and choose to watch on TV) some events you think are worthwhile and will get as much enjoyment out of those as I get out of the ones I choose to attend and watch on TV. That's what my years being a figure skating fan have meant to me -- a lot of fun and enjoyment. I hope it is the same for you.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
I've always liked Pro skating, the artistry is far superior to anything ANY of the amateurs is doing, and I do mean ANY of the amateurs.

It's not a question of pro skating being artistic or not. It is.!! That is why they are being paid.

For me, it is a question of 'is it a sport?' Boys against the Girls. hmmm. Quads against Bielmans. hmmm.

Since no skater will get less than 9.5 which is a heluva good score, I can't think of it being a sport. JMO. However, it's always interesting to see these judges(?)
one skater above another. The whole show is a matter of taste, not scores.

Joe

curious

Final Flight
yes,is not like we don't know what team is going to win lol! so called pro comps are nothing but a joke:laugh:

S

SkateFan4Life

Call me an old fogie, but I LOVE to see the "over 30" skaters take to the ice and compete in these competitions! Kurt, Katarina, Brian (both Brians), Kristi (hope she returns to the ice as soon as possible), Viktor, Scott, Dorothy, Nancy, etc.

OK, they aren't landing triple axels (except perhaps for Brian B), and the technical content has lessened over the years, but they still are great, great skaters. Choreography, artistry, elegance, you name it - it's wonderful to watch.

It sometimes irritates me how some posters on this board write as though the sport of competitive figure skating began with the emergence of Sasha Cohen and/or the current crop of top skaters. Sure, these are fantastic skaters, and I appreciate their skills, but figure skating has a long, rich history. For Heaven's sake, let's show some appreciation for the many wonderful skaters who perceded today's generation of champions!

You go, Kurt, Kat, Brian, etc. !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Teenes

On the Ice
Heh Brian's not landing 3-axels anymore - he says that's the one jump he doesn't train anymore - but he's still got that gorgeous 'tano 3-lutz.