Ideas for Davis & White | Golden Skate

Ideas for Davis & White

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
While I'm anticipating seeing D&W for 3 more dances this year, I'm already looking ahead, too!

I find this couple so physically striking. Each of them is striking, and the contrast between them is even more striking.

Meryl is really stunning, and I love the way her Eleanor Rigby FD costume brings out her striking looks -- that's a beautiful light mauve that suits her complexion and dark hair. Meryl is haunting in this really exotic way, and also you might say she appears "intellectual" -- she's someone who looks like something's "going on" inside her head all the time. She expresses emotion well, too.

Charlie is striking because of his blond "boy-next-door" looks. He's really cute, but in a very different way from Meryl.

So, are there any ways or new ways this team can highlight how physically striking they are in their dances?

Any traditional dances you think they'd be a natural for, or any ideas for free dance concepts come to mind?

The dances I've seen them do have all suited them well, I'm just wondering what creative GSers can come up with for this arresting couple.

I think they could do a great job with some "opposites attract" types of ideas/concepts, perhaps.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Yeah, Charlie does have that "blue lagoon" or D'artagnan blonde curly hair thing going on...lol

Red would totally compliment for both of their hair colors & fair skin.

I agree with you about their gorgeous difference. They're a bit like D&S (French) only Meryl is prettier.

Chess pieces? I guess that's been done... in ballet at least:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4159/is_20051030/ai_n15816695

They could do La Traviata - it's about a young man from a good family who falls for a courtesan and wants to marry her... but she is noble enough to give him up for his own good, and then dies of TB. It's a lot to pack into 4 minutes.

Or hey, how about Carmen and Don Jose? That would be different!

all that

Final Flight
They could do La Traviata - it's about a young man from a good family who falls for a courtesan and wants to marry her... but she is noble enough to give him up for his own good, and then dies of TB. It's a lot to pack into 4 minutes.

But it can be done, since Cappellini and Lanotte are doing it as their FD this year. ;)

lmarie086

Medalist
Hmm this is a good thread. I've been thinking about this too a bit. For one, I don't want them to fall into anything that has been done by a lot of other teams in the past.
Because they don't really have a "set" style IMO, I think they have a wide range that they could deliver on. As a team I feel they have a lot of passion in their skating. Going along with the idea of red, it might be interesting to see them portray "Anger" in an FD, as a sort of voidy program-I know some people have been looking for them do something like this.
But before they start thinking of concepts, I want them to consider going to different choreographers; it would be a good move IMO.
So I guess this would be my list of possible ideas.
"Anger"-the different dimensions of it I guess?
"Across the Stars" by John Williams (the music is beautiful and it has so much life to it, I'd love to see what choreography could be done to it)
"Otonal"
"The Red Violin"
a Bach or Handel piece
Vivaldi's Oboe Concerto in D Minor-although I'm not sure what concept I would put with it

I'll post back tomorrow with more ideas.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
Hmm this is a good thread. I've been thinking about this too a bit. For one, I don't want them to fall into anything that has been done by a lot of other teams in the past.
Because they don't really have a "set" style IMO, I think they have a wide range that they could deliver on. As a team I feel they have a lot of passion in their skating. Going along with the idea of red, it might be interesting to see them portray "Anger" in an FD, as a sort of voidy program-I know some people have been looking for them do something like this.
But before they start thinking of concepts, I want them to consider going to different choreographers; it would be a good move IMO.
So I guess this would be my list of possible ideas.
"Anger"-the different dimensions of it I guess?
"Across the Stars" by John Williams (the music is beautiful and it has so much life to it, I'd love to see what choreography could be done to it)
"Otonal"
"The Red Violin"
a Bach or Handel piece
Vivaldi's Oboe Concerto in D Minor-although I'm not sure what concept I would put with it

I'll post back tomorrow with more ideas.

How about a Bach solo violin Sonata piece! Much like Torvill and Dean! I think they would be amazing and something like that would capapult them ahead of Virtue and Moir in terms of artistry!

Antilles

Medalist
Imarie, I'd love to see anyone skate to Across the Stars. it's a beautiful piece of music, but I've only heard tiny snippets of it used in skating.

lmarie086

Medalist
Imarie, I'd love to see anyone skate to Across the Stars. it's a beautiful piece of music, but I've only heard tiny snippets of it used in skating.

Isn't though? I actually didn't know that it's been used in snippets in skating, but then I don't think that does justice to the music. It's just breathtaking, and I really feel that Meryl and Charlie would do beautifully with it (maybe save it for the Olympics). But I just pray to God they get a new choreographer in; then their talent will really come out!
cassieandcheetah, that's a really good idea. I'll look some up after my doctor's appointment and homework lol.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i LOVE LOVE LOVE thier Eleanor rigby freedance, partially because of the originality and aprtially because there the music, story and choreography touch me. It is miles better than last year's "symphonic dances" which was enjoyable, but overused. I think that it Charlie and Meryl, by all means have to be original and innovative .

that comment about her being dark and mysterious while he being "boy next door" brought to mind pochohantas and john smith. i think they could do somthing great with that theme.. maybe to the music from the new world. West side story would be very good, but perhaps to overused.

I would love to choreograph for this team...so many good things one could do with them.

i never heard it before, but listened to a clip on iTunes and am in love. This would be great for them.

Last edited:

pista04

On the Ice
They are so modern and to me, seem like the new generation of ice dancers, and I'd love to see something just as new and modern.

The New World - As someone mentioned, a Pocahontas/John Smith feeling, but more raw and emotional then freaking Disney.

"The Departure," from Gattaca - So emotional. Its devastating while amazing, sends the feeling of hope within failure, and the pushing of the limits. I think they could do wonders with this.

"Titan Spirit," from Remember the Titans - Yeah, it's used in NBCs olympic coverage, blah blah. But its amazing, and sends that triumphant feeling so well.

and, if you wanted to go even more modern, I seriously think they could rock the world with edited versions of songs like "Stop and Stare," by OneRepublic, or "The Unwinding Cablecar," by Anberlin, or anything by the Fray

I'd KILL to see them dance to anything by an indie band, like Forever the Sickest Kids or We The Kings (a song like "Hey Brittany,"). Hey, its a new era; take something different and risk it. It could be what changes their career, you know?! Haha.

MarieM

On the Ice
First of all : get a real choreographer. Someone who will give them pointers, and most of all a vision of what they want to do on the ice.

I'd love them to go the modern way. Not the american minimalist one. The european one since they look so british to me.

Either pick a strong but slow classical piece like the cello suite number 2 by Bach and make something of it. But please don't let Igor and Marina ruin this.
Or they could pick a piece never skated to before. Take any of Joe Hisaishi work for Ghibli. she looks a lot like a manga caracter. Or maybe Yoko Kano like the music she did for Escaflowne that can be dramatic at times.
That requires of course a good choreographer, maybe a classical dance teacher to fix their postures.

They could also go the folk way, and the selection of music there is just too big.
Anything by Cocoon would be fine althought the lyrics are so cynic. Maybe something like "Over my shoulder" by the Do would work. But I'm sure you can find anything.

She looks like a naughty elf and he looks like an englishman. They could try to go the mystical irish way.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow, I had to go out of state today, but I knew when I got back you'd all have posted some neat ideas. :clap:

I must look up the John Williams piece, as I'm not familiar with it, but I love his compositions.

Love the naughty elf/Englishman idea! Perhaps to Celtic and/or Celtic New World music? -- many, many options here.

That makes me think -- Meryl as Titania or Ariel from Shakespeare? But that's not the modern thinking that is probably what would be so great for them, unless you got a modern score.

Even if it's been done before, I like the chess pieces idea.

And red and anger, or Red Violin -- red would definitely be a good color for both of them.

Regardless, I definitely think they should take a chance on doing something different to stand out from the "pack" within their own coaching program and from the greater "pack" of all senior skaters. What have they got to lose? Do they really want to maintain the status quo and perennially be behind the others? Absolutely, they need some choreographers at the least who won't be afraid to try dramatic new ground for them.

dutchherder

Final Flight
That's funny. I've always thought Charlie looked like a red-blooded American boy-next-door type. I think they should do "Half Acre" by Hem or, better yet, "Vidalia" by Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire.

lmarie086

Medalist
That's funny. I've always thought Charlie looked like a red-blooded American boy-next-door type. I think they should do "Half Acre" by Hem or, better yet, "Vidalia" by Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire.

I am going to have to look both of those up lol.
:laugh: at the englishman and naughty elf comments. I like that idea, a lot actually lol. The chess pieces idea is a good one too, as long as they could make it their own.

"The Departure," from Gattaca - So emotional. Its devastating while amazing, sends the feeling of hope within failure, and the pushing of the limits. I think they could do wonders with this.
-->Beautiful piece; could definitely see them doing this.

lmarie086

Medalist
I came up with more ideas instead of writing about multiculturalism in the Ottoman Empire...

"Flying"- the idea of soaring and embracing that freedom, going wherever you want to

for a violin piece, perhaps something by Lucia Micarelli? here's a link http://www.amazon.com/Music-Farther-Room-Lucia-Micarelli/dp/B0002GU2NM/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

For a song with vocals, perhaps "L'Ultima Notte' by Josh Groban? It's in Italian but I'll try to find a link for the lyrics in English, I know I have it somewhere.

I like where everyone was going with the idea of something modern. One piece that came to my mind was an orchestral version of Kashmir, if it could be arranged properly for an FD.