If judges were strict with prerotation? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

If judges were strict with prerotation?

Joekaz

On the Ice
And this is why Feds don't push for prerotation to be reviewed in slow motion, sure the benefit so many people want to see will happen where some of the ladies doing quads won't be getting full BVs for those quads, but other skaters wouldn't be getting full BV for their triples.
However, the judges could at least not give high GOE for jumps with alot of pre-rotation and or poor picking technique. Isnt that the whole point of judging? Its not uncommon to see 4s and 5s given to such jumps by some skaters today, even some with wrong edge on top it. Lol

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
However, the judges could at least not give high GOE for jumps with alot of pre-rotation and or poor picking technique. Isnt that the whole point of judging? Its not uncommon to see 4s and 5s given to such jumps by some skaters today, even some with wrong edge on top it. Lol

There was a time at the onset of IJS where the judges were quite discerning when it came to “perfect” GOE. You wouldn’t see many +3 (when the scale was -3 to +3).

But with people being obsessed with breaking records and with federations politicking like crazy, it’s not surprise that scores went up like crazy.

Same goes for PCS where the winners of Worlds would get 8’s at best.

Jeffrey Buttle won 2008 Worlds with 78.78 PCS… which would have been the 15th best PCS at Worlds 2022.

Shizuka Arakawa won the 2006 Olympics with 63.00 PCS and barely any +2s and no +3s. Her FS PCS would have been the 13th best PCS at the 2022 Olympics.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight

If judges were strict with prerotation the American GOAT Michelle Kwan wouldn't have win anything.​

Michelle Kwan's Lutz, 2002.

Wrong edge, full blade assist, pre-rotation over 180.
(Anna Shcherbakova hadn't been born yet.)
Nobody cared, as long as she is not a Russian.

kwan5.gif
Correct me if I am wrong, is that the reason Russia gave Irnia the gold medal in 2002 . After pointed out Michelle and Sarah's mistake and overlook irinia. In my eyes all skaters prerotate their jumps. Some more noticable than others now to new judging system more fan involvement. The judges always did even in figures when ranking them. Did base difference on artistry? Did it affect it?. As u notice the prerotation over the artistry. U claim the technique doesn't forgive artistry, because the skater had no artistry. That means Russian skaters been overscore in the PC scores. That demand artistry. They shouldn't get 8 or 9 . Their technique u get not the artistry or mus

Joekaz

On the Ice
There was a time at the onset of IJS where the judges were quite discerning when it came to “perfect” GOE. You wouldn’t see many +3 (when the scale was -3 to +3).

But with people being obsessed with breaking records and with federations politicking like crazy, it’s not surprise that scores went up like crazy.

Same goes for PCS where the winners of Worlds would get 8’s at best.

Jeffrey Buttle won 2008 Worlds with 78.78 PCS… which would have been the 15th best PCS at Worlds 2022.

Shizuka Arakawa won the 2006 Olympics with 63.00 PCS and barely any +2s and no +3s. Her FS PCS would have been the 13th best PCS at the 2022 Olympics.

I agree. And as others have mentioned, with more strict calling of pre-rotation, hardly any girls could actually do triples. Higuchi is the only one with the vertical ability to actually do them that I can think of.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
All
Ladies was judged on how well they skated to artistry. As most of u have stated u noticed the technique with this IJs scoring system. Which means as u stated by my interpretation, all ladies should not be getting 8 or 9 in the PC or interpretation marks. U all notice the bad technique. U do not see any of their music interpretation and if it's there. It is overshadowed by their horrendous technique of prerotation, ur, and not falls. So they should get 8 and 9 in technique and 4-6 in interpretation due to no musicality or interpretation shows when skating. It doesn't. It a jump contest with flailing arms spins sequence that no fan understand due to not showing their interpretation of music at all.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I agree. And as others have mentioned, with more strict calling of pre-rotation, hardly any girls could actually do triples. Higuchi is the only one with the vertical ability to actually do them that I can think of.
Counting the notable women who can (without compromising landing rotation like some do. Wakaba, Rika (if she gets strong again). Gracie Gold. Liza Tuk (if Russia were competing). Maybe a few more junior examples. And probably missed a few.

In terms of Men, there are quite a few and if PR was judged it'd shake it up quite a lot given a few of the more prominent skaters getting high scores for ugly technique even ignoring the PR (like Shoma)

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
If judges were strict, should we drop as others and use skating skill with prerotation, underrotations, falls in the category. Let's be honest isn't the quads 3 1/2 or 3 and 3/4 revolution to be a quad .the triple 2 1/2 or 2 3/4.? As many of u stated regard people. I stated previously. Is that what Russia used when giving Irnia the 2002 OGM in Russia. ? Also as many of u pointed out u notice and look for bad technique. U will find it on all skaters. U no longer notice the music interpretation because ur not looking for it. As u stated the skate artistry no longer overshadows their bad technique. Why they have very little artistry or musical interpretation. Let's drop the artistry score all together and put in what I previously wrote ss only. Theur lack of artistry due to strict prerotation shows up in shows. How people doesn't get nor feel their music interpretation. Why have very little in that overscore department that fans buying public picks up on in tv, shows. They are bored. They don't understand or get music but they do notice their prerotation, ur, and otherwise bad technique. They want to see the quads and triple triple or triple Axel I shows not the leaser or easier jumps.