In need of blade advice | Page 2 | Golden Skate

In need of blade advice

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
MK Gold Star or MK Phantom---yes I know they are 7ft rocker but hear me out. Based on your preferences you've stated previously in this thread: Gold Star would especially be great b/c it has the lift you want in the heel, cross cut toe picks, as well as the blade being both taped and sidehoned. the latter will help you with turns and edgework, the former will help with your spin technique.

@WednesdayMarch is a big fan of the Gold Star and can help you more with them.

:) Good luck!
Yes, I love both the MK Gold Star and the MK Phantom. I'm currently skating on Gold Stars for reasons unrelated to jumping, and have really liked them from day one, especially for spinning. I like a thinner or side-honed blade and both of them are pretty slick. They really are great blades. If Ic3Rabbit thinks the Gold Star would suit you better than the Phantom, then she's almost certainly right!

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Girl, just listen to Ic3Rabbit. Seriously. She's a *professional* skater. Former elite. She's tried everything. She knows more than your coach does, legtimately. Why would you spend $625 on blades you aren't even advanced enough to use properly when $250 blades will cover you perfectly well??

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Girl, just listen to Ic3Rabbit. Seriously. She's a *professional* skater. Former elite. She's tried everything. She knows more than your coach does, legtimately. Why would you spend $625 on blades you aren't even advanced enough to use properly when $250 blades will cover you perfectly well??
:rock:
:thank:

Timonerr_

Rinkside
Yes I know, but I want Rocker 8'', which gives me with so little options for the intermediate line. I have looked into matrix Legacy, which is around that line, but i realized that my skating tech cannot do matrix blades. I also have the option for the other line of Jackson Ultima, but I heard it wasn't good at all, too flat. And Its impossible for me to get Eclipse blades because of my location. In Europe the most we have is Wilson, Mk and Jackson. So honestly I don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to risk and get normal coronation aces because the lite didn't work for me, and I think that a 8'' Rocker blade will suit me better. So if you know any other intermediate blade for around the same price as coroaces, and is 8'' Rocker please tell me, If there's nothing I'll stick to Gold Seal.

Also how hours does the sharping last you before you have to resharpen it again,? I'm talking about your Patter99 blades from John Wilson. @Ic3Rabbit

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes I know, but I want Rocker 8'', which gives me with so little options for the intermediate line. I have looked into matrix Legacy, which is around that line, but i realized that my skating tech cannot do matrix blades. I also have the option for the other line of Jackson Ultima, but I heard it wasn't good at all, too flat. And Its impossible for me to get Eclipse blades because of my location. In Europe the most we have is Wilson, Mk and Jackson. So honestly I don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to risk and get normal coronation aces because the lite didn't work for me, and I think that a 8'' Rocker blade will suit me better. So if you know any other intermediate blade for around the same price as coroaces, and is 8'' Rocker please tell me, If there's nothing I'll stick to Gold Seal.

Also how hours does the sharping last you before you have to resharpen it again,? I'm talking about your Patter99 blades from John Wilson. @Ic3Rabbit
It varies depending on the time of year and what I'm doing with them ex: Is it show season, competitive (coaching etc season), there are times I use my blades more than others and are harder on them than other times. The amount of times b/t sharpenings varies w/my own action and it's not something you are going to be able to base your decision off of.

Also, you may have to sit down and think hard and come to the conclusion that what you want is not what you necessarily need at this point in your skating. It is really NOT that hard and NOT that much difference in 7 and 8 ft rocker if it's a good blade with a decent rocker profile that were sharpened properly and your blade was correctly mounted to your boot for your needs. So I won't accept the excuse that an 8ft rocker is so much better for you at this stage in your skating.

Timonerr_

Rinkside
It varies depending on the time of year and what I'm doing with them ex: Is it show season, competitive (coaching etc season), there are times I use my blades more than others and are harder on them than other times. The amount of times b/t sharpenings varies w/my own action and it's not something you are going to be able to base your decision off of.

Also, you may have to sit down and think hard and come to the conclusion that what you want is not what you necessarily need at this point in your skating. It is really NOT that hard and NOT that much difference in 7 and 8 ft rocker if it's a good blade with a decent rocker profile that were sharpened properly and your blade was correctly mounted to your boot for your needs. So I won't accept the excuse that an 8ft rocker is so much better for you at this stage in your skating.

Okay, thank you. And one more thing, the blades and skate equipmet will they lower the prices in summer? Or will they be the same price the whole year?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Okay, thank you. And one more thing, the blades and skate equipmet will they lower the prices in summer? Or will they be the same price the whole year?
The prices don't change.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know you want the 8' rocker, but all those high end blades are way too advanced for you and will hurt your skating at its current stages. All Ultima blades (including Ultima Matrix) are too flat and are having lots of issues right now.

I'd really recommend you stick with the aces. They're the most sold JW blade for a reason.