Injuries & Other Ills for 2015-16 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Injuries & Other Ills for 2015-16

sillylionlove

Medalist
Valentina said that in Thursday he suffered the concussion during practice while doing the triple twist and they skated the short anyway holding it would get better but it didn't.

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks for the replies, Kitt and sillylionlove! I hope he gets well soon.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Valentina said that in Thursday he suffered the concussion during practice while doing the triple twist and they skated the short anyway holding it would get better but it didn't.

Oh my gosh! I hope he is okay! Concussions are very serious, I actually am sorry to hear they skated the short. Hopefully he'll be recovered in plenty of time for their next GP though.

noskates

Record Breaker
You wonder if Kazuko's injuries - hip and ankle, etc - are the results of practicing quads. He's not a very big guy and maybe the pressure of those landings is taking it's toll. I hope he recovers quickly.

musicfan80

Medalist
Oh my gosh! I hope he is okay! Concussions are very serious, I actually am sorry to hear they skated the short. Hopefully he'll be recovered in plenty of time for their next GP though.

I can't believe they skated their SP as well. Considering that we've already had several skaters who are out (so far) this season due to concussions, I would much rather them take their time with his recovery. Is a GP event or even the whole series really that important?

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Because of the World Cup I had to watch (or watched, it was kind of entertaining really, in a brutal sort of way) some rugby games and there is a "concussion test" in rugby. If the referee thinks that a player has a concussion he sends him off the field (it can happen if he only sees a player being hit hard on the head) and then the player has to be examined by a physician. The player is only allowed to go back and play if he passes the concussion test (it involves a series of cognitive, balance and memory tests). I like this approach.

LRK

Record Breaker
Because of the World Cup I had to watch (or watched, it was kind of entertaining really, in a brutal sort of way) some rugby games and there is a "concussion test" in rugby. If the referee thinks that a player has a concussion he sends him off the field (it can happen if he only sees a player being hit hard on the head) and then the player has to be examined by a physician. The player is only allowed to go back and play if he passes the concussion test (it involves a series of cognitive, balance and memory tests). I like this approach.

That makes sense. (They should have that in football - soccer - as well, I think; especially thinking about that World Cup final... )

peg

Medalist
I can't believe they skated their SP as well. Considering that we've already had several skaters who are out (so far) this season due to concussions, I would much rather them take their time with his recovery. Is a GP event or even the whole series really that important?

From what I heard, he didn't realize he had a concussion when they skated, which is unfortunate because physical exertion like that can me a concussion worse. And I suspect that's what happened, since he felt worse after the short.

Knowing they skated with him having a concussion makes me all the more relieved we didn't see any nasty accidents during the pairs. I was actually too scared to watch live after what we saw in mens and ladies.

musicfan80

Medalist
Posting the latest update that I know about U.S. skaters. It's going to be kinda sad to watch U.S. Nationals now. :(

Joshua Farris - Concussion; Still off ice
Jason Brown - Strained Back; Still off ice, full recovery expected
Jordan Moeller - Fractured fibula, a high ankle sprain, and a torn ligament in his right ankle; Had surgery, off ice, could resume training in May or June.
Gretchen Donlan/Nate Bartholomay - Not sure what the injury is. Nate's tweet part 1 part 2
Haven Denny/Brandon Frazier - Haven had knee surgery; they have not returned to competition yet, but they did perform in a holiday ice show.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks, musicfan80! That's an unfortunately long list - I can only hope that they all recover completely, and can return to competition fully healed.

Taking this opportunity to note (for "collection" purposes) that there recently was a thread on the forum discussing

ACL Injury
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?58014-ACL-Injury

Also, does anyone else have any updates on skaters who have been injured, or are recovering from injury?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also Tessa Hong and Andrew Torgashev are out with injuries too. For Tessa this is the 2nd straight Nationals she will miss. She was moving right up the ladder winning Juvenile and Intermediate titles at Nationals before all the injuries started.

LRK

Record Breaker
@musicfan80 - Don't be sorry; it's a good thing - after all, the skaters are just as injured, even if we don't "see" it. We share in their triumphs on ice, it's only right that we acknowledge the trials they go through to achieve them as well.

@Jammers - Thank you. I can only hope they both recover and can make up missed ground - especially Tessa missing two Nationals in a row; that must be heartbreaking for her; I hope she keeps up her courage!