Interesting spin positions | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Interesting spin positions

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Spin positions that need to be marked down by judges in the GOE and/or not be given level credit as a "difficult variation" to begin with:

*Pike sit spin with very bent knee
*Broken leg sit spin where the foot is only slightly tilted to the side
*Illusion spin that don't hit at least a 45 degree angle
*Camel spin in the "upside-down" position where the skater's body is barely tilted
*Catch-foot camel spins where the skater just grabs the blade with barely any extension
*Corkscrew spin in the intermediate position where the free leg is hanging out aimlessly
*Cross-foot spins that travel significantly. It's not that difficult of a position. If you can't keep it centered well enough then you shouldn't get credit.
*ALL OF THESE RIDICULOUSLY UGLY "DIFFICULT ENTRIES" INTO SPINS THIS SEASON, ESPECIALLY DOING A RANDOM ILLUSION TURN INTO A LAYBACK. WHAT IS THIS CRAP.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ the "illusion" difficult entry also does not differentiate skater's spinning ability at all. since once people knows that will get you more points, everybody is doing it regardless of choreo.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always think the star entry looks like something a wounded sea creature would do on its way back to sea. Oddly enough I still kinda like it though.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*Camel spin in the "upside-down" position where the skater's body is barely tilted

Just curious, does Joshua's upside-down-catchfoot meet with your approval?

*ALL OF THESE RIDICULOUSLY UGLY "DIFFICULT ENTRIES" INTO SPINS THIS SEASON, ESPECIALLY DOING A RANDOM ILLUSION TURN INTO A LAYBACK. WHAT IS THIS CRAP.

The ISU trying to get clever. Although watching some of the attempts at "difficult entries" when the skater clearly can't do it properly to begin with can be...amusing.

Some do the illusion better than others. Actually the one I like is where Jason changes feet in his sit spin by doing an illusion. That's a good one. Artur's is also surprisingly not rubbish.

The one I'd love to see chacked is the Russian split into spin. Joshua's looks nice. Max's...well, much as I love him, I do wish they'd not put Russian splits in his programs, because most of the time he doesn't hit a full split and then it looks bad and I'd wager he wouldn't get credit for the difficult entry.

Actually, if I could change one spin rule, it would be mandatory that a Senior skater would have to do a basic spin position with change of foot, 8 revs each foot, no variations. A plain camel, a plain sit, a plain upright, a plain layback - just no catch-foots or bullets or pancakes or edge changes or anything that IJS seems to have got bogged down with.

I was watching one of Plushenko's early 6.0 programs and his camel-change-camel was just so NICE. Clean lines, pointed toe, simple position done WELL.

creaturelover

On the Ice
I love Adelina's illusion spin, and I agree illusion spin should not have good GOE if they do not achieve a good 45 degree angle. I love Anna Porgilaya, but her illision spins look so sloppy at times!!!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
GOE credit maybe not, but levels should be given. That list is so subjective, that a harsh tech caller could reduce a level because a crossfoot wasn't quite centred enough, when centring should be reflected in GOE.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I always think the star entry looks like something a wounded sea creature would do on its way back to sea. Oddly enough I still kinda like it though.

Sounds like Lipnitskaya this season. :p

Some do the illusion better than others. Actually the one I like is where Jason changes feet in his sit spin by doing an illusion. That's a good one.

Yeah, that's a worthwhile one and not specifically worth any points, heh...which we should probably be thankful for.

Just curious, does Joshua's upside-down-catchfoot meet with your approval?

Yes! All of his spin positions are good, except the broken leg sit which I would call barely adequate.

That list is so subjective, that a harsh tech caller could reduce a level because a crossfoot wasn't quite centred enough, when centring should be reflected in GOE.

Calls are already "subjective"; it has to be decided if the skater's position was a difficult variation or not. Crossfoot upright is such an easy difficult variation and if they travel too much on it, with a lack of speed, then I feel they should lose the level credit in addition to a bit of GOE. I'm tired of seeing people end spins with a sloppy crossfoot for the level credit instead of just doing a nice clean finishing position. It doesn't show any extra skill and just hurts the overall effect of the spin. Of course, this would probably already be solved in the first place if levels on spins were worth less and GOE was scored more stringently.

hurrah

Medalist
How good a spinner a skater is should also be judged according to if they can spin on both legs in either directions equally well.

I think Satoko gains levels doing this, and it strikes me that she might actually be the best overall spinner out of the current skaters.

I just noticed that Mao can do a biellman (well, one biellman and one half-biellman) on both legs, and her half-biellman is a dream! :love:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I think some people call them running threes.

Can you give an example. I'm blanking on what a Star is. I confused it with a Butterfly. (LOL, only with figure skating would I write these sentences. It's a strange sport, with Stars and Butterflies, haha)

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can you give an example. I'm blanking on what a Star is. I confused it with a Butterfly. (LOL, only with figure skating would I write these sentences. It's a strange sport, with Stars and Butterflies, haha)

Sorry that it's Weir, but I had a mental blank on who else is using them this season and this was one of the better examples I could think of.

Amer

Final Flight
Country
Italy
Yup. And look for an early, relatively attractive example of the A frame position around 2:24 of this link in the combo spin.
I agree about her A spin. Probably the only one I like from a woman.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, that one. Eurosport guys were referring to it as a butterfly entry into the camel spin. Was thrown off a bit hearing it in a different name.

Well the butterfly is the actual flying feature done into the spin.
https://pp.vk.me/c540105/v540105021/1bd8e/RYi0s5Ph9nU.jpg
It's named after the martial arts move (basically its a flying kick)that is almost the same thing. The star entry or as I've heard it referred to at the rink as "stars" are the little turns people do while approaching a spin but its like a hunched over twizzle where the leg acts as a momentum booster once every rotation. To me it just looks funny when done so many times without some sort of flying feature. It's quite common around my rink it's just that no one does any flying features.

Last edited:

yhmafan

Medalist
Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Sorry that it's Weir, but I had a mental blank on who else is using them this season and this was one of the better examples I could think of.
The running threes used to annoy me a lot, because they take so long and seem so needless... but then the blasted illusion entry struck this season, and this now looks good in comparison.

mnm464

On the Ice
Well the butterfly is the actually flying feature done into the spin.
https://pp.vk.me/c540105/v540105021/1bd8e/RYi0s5Ph9nU.jpg
It's named after the martial arts move (basically its a flying kick)that is almost the same thing. The star entry or as I've heard it referred to at the rink as "stars" are the little turns people do while approaching a spin but its like a hunched over twizzle where the leg acts as a momentum booster once every rotation. To me it just looks funny when done so many times without some sort of flying feature. It's quite common around my rink it's just that no one does any flying features.

I thought it was called an Arabian?