Interim skate solutions | Golden Skate

Interim skate solutions

Ssbrook

Spectator
Hi all,

My 10 year old has just informed me that her skates are "hurting". I took her to a fitter and they're 1.5 sizes too small (we just bought last year at .5 size up so she must have growth spurted IMMEDIATELY and just decided curling her toes is ok). You'd think the answer would be just go buy new skates, but it's never that easy for her because she's a slow learner (just learning USFSA Basic 6 jumps) but has super narrow feet. So we have to custom her skates to fit and customs are out months right now.

What she's in:
Riedell Stride 223 6n

What she measures:
9 15/16" L, 8 1/8" (around, 90mm flat) W

Recommended skates from the fitter:
Riedell Stride 223 7.5 or 8n
Jackson Flex custom 8aa or 8.5aa

So given that she's dying on the ice, I'm kind of stuck with either overbooting (she's already slightly overbooted for her level and weight) or buying stock width until customs can come in.

Thoughts/suggestions/hacks/tips? Anyone know a secret source of super niche boots?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Does your fitter stretch boots? Not sure 1.5 sizes can be stretched enough, but...
Is there someone else at your rink selling used boots/blades?

Ssbrook

Spectator
Does your fitter stretch boots? Not sure 1.5 sizes can be stretched enough, but...
Is there someone else at your rink selling used boots/blades?
They can stretch width, but not length. Definitely asked about that.

Coach is checking with the rink and skate clubs for people selling but the narrow/low stiffness is a super challenging combo. If moving up to Riedell Motion 255 wouldn't be overbooting her worse than she already is I could pick them up at the pro shop at the rink.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all,

My 10 year old has just informed me that her skates are "hurting". I took her to a fitter and they're 1.5 sizes too small (we just bought last year at .5 size up so she must have growth spurted IMMEDIATELY and just decided curling her toes is ok). You'd think the answer would be just go buy new skates, but it's never that easy for her because she's a slow learner (just learning USFSA Basic 6 jumps) but has super narrow feet. So we have to custom her skates to fit and customs are out months right now.

What she's in:
Riedell Stride 223 6n

What she measures:
9 15/16" L, 8 1/8" (around, 90mm flat) W

Recommended skates from the fitter:
Riedell Stride 223 7.5 or 8n
Jackson Flex custom 8aa or 8.5aa

So given that she's dying on the ice, I'm kind of stuck with either overbooting (she's already slightly overbooted for her level and weight) or buying stock width until customs can come in.

Thoughts/suggestions/hacks/tips? Anyone know a secret source of super niche boots?
Does she have to wear Riedell only? There may be some stock risport or graf that fits her level and foot profile: I worry the Riedell motion is too stiff for her right now.

Ssbrook

Spectator
Does she have to wear Riedell only? There may be some stock risport or graf that fits her level and foot profile: I worry the Riedell motion is too stiff for her right now.
She doesn't, but we run into the issue of finding trained techs to fit her. Her original tech/pro shop just stopped selling Riedells and referred us out, and I'm struggling to find a shop that isn't Jackson/Riedell only.

I found a roller skating shop that sells Edea boots and am going to check if they sell inline boots as per Edea's website the inline boots can be used for ice (quad cannot). Both of the places listed in my area as authorized Edea ice skate dealers definitely do NOT sell Edea (they're the places pushing Jackson and Riedell to us). What I don't know is if I can bring an Edea boot to a shop that only sells Jacksons and get a good blade install. I also don't know if Edea is a good route. I understand they're narrow and light.

I'm not sure if we have any authorized Risport or Graf dealers who can fit her. Internet isn't being helpful 😕

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
She doesn't, but we run into the issue of finding trained techs to fit her. Her original tech/pro shop just stopped selling Riedells and referred us out, and I'm struggling to find a shop that isn't Jackson/Riedell only.

I found a roller skating shop that sells Edea boots and am going to check if they sell inline boots as per Edea's website the inline boots can be used for ice (quad cannot). Both of the places listed in my area as authorized Edea ice skate dealers definitely do NOT sell Edea (they're the places pushing Jackson and Riedell to us). What I don't know is if I can bring an Edea boot to a shop that only sells Jacksons and get a good blade install. I also don't know if Edea is a good route. I understand they're narrow and light.

I'm not sure if we have any authorized Risport or Graf dealers who can fit her. Internet isn't being helpful 😕
If you let us know what area you are in we may be able to help with a fitter.