Is our love for a skater purer if they are not from our own country ? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Is our love for a skater purer if they are not from our own country ?

Oshun

Rinkside
I certainly do not identify most closely with the skaters from my own country but then I am from the Belly of the Beast (one of the largest and most arrogant ones). My country's ridiculous predictions on TV and in the press that Nathan Chen had already won Olympic Gold in 2018 was so annoying. Yes, he was almost a contender but according to this country's press, it was done deal. So much so that I was relieved when he bombed out. Since then I have had a hard time wishing him well--although I work hard to be fair and open-minded and I do see his improvement. I was very excited about countryman Mariah Bell's performance at this past U.S. Nationals--but that was not nationalism but a triumph for the kind of skating I love--lyrical and artistic.

I do often root for the underdogs who come from not big skating countries--Donovan Carrillo stirred up an emotional response for me partly because he is from Mexico and partly because his enthusiasm and energy could move a stone. I also have a prejudice for skaters who come from countries that energetically support skating and make great audiences--like Canada and Japan. Javier Fernandez and Yuzuru Hanyu had it all for me. They check most of my subjective boxes and were/are totally terrific competitors and pushed the sport technically for years. Historically, I have always rooted for Russian skaters--liked the style--artistic impression and high skill level. But the upsurge in churning out disposal young girls has really tarnished that joy for me. I want a country to take care of its skaters and too many injuries caused by pushing athletes not yet through puberty feels gross to me. Like training gladiators for the ring, only they are young vulnerable girls who have known nothing else.

jesslv74

Rinkside
I don't believe so. I choose my favorite skaters based on their talent, integrity, and most of all, how their skating makes me feel, if that makes sense. I do support my country, but that doesn't mean I root for skaters more (or at all) just because they're from my country.

Manitou

Medalist
What love? I like certain skaters, don't connect to others and there are few very limited cases, maybe no more than five in the Universe, where I dislike them. But relating to or cheering for skaters have nothing to do with any kind of love. It's just my egoistic aesthetic preferences at the current moment. And when I like a skater it's also very easy for to fall out that favor. It's a constantly changing process.

And yes, nationality plays part in it. Generally I am not cheering for American skaters, even though I consider myself an American patriot. They are entitled snowflakes to me, just like the entire millennial society. I follow them on Instagram and they cannot stop writing those "believe in yourself" or "I am ready" posts. Just train, please. And train hard. That self-motivating nonsense turns me off. And distracts you from training.

I tend to be strongly attached to the Russians. Just being Russian starts with a big credit for me.
And I tend to be slightly, very slightly attached to the Japanese skaters.

And it's hard to cheer for my own Polish skaters, because there aren't any. Natalia and Maxim are not doing any progress, they settled outside the top ten and have no ambition to go higher. It's disappointing. Especially after I met them in person and they are extremely likable. And I seriously question ability of Mrs. Nowak-Trębacka to do anything for them. They should change the coach. Maybe Barbara Poli?
Ekaterina has a potential, but I doubt she even speaks Polish. Nevertheless, she carries a Polish flag and has abbreviation "POL" next to her name on TV, so it's enough to cheer for her. I hope she doesn't follow the steps of Natalia and Maxim and has higher ambitions. She has plenty of time.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Generally I am not cheering for the American skaters, even though I consider myself an American patriot. They are entitled snowflakes to me, just like the entire millennial society. I follow them on Instagram and they cannot stop writing those "believe in yourself" or "I am ready" posts. Just train, please. And train hard. That self-motivating nonsense turns me off. And distracts you from training.

To be fair though, they don't IMO have a lot of leeway in social media, that is kind of expected by any kind of fan these days, especially with the decline in conventional journalism. They all - Americans, Russians, Japanese, small or large fed - do need to have an social media presence and with it being both necessary and unpredictably toxic, if they are unblessed with eloquence and uncanny prescience, falling back on their country's favourite tropes is probably wise. Too many people have been spontaneous for 240 characters and lived to REALLY regret it...

But they have to say something! Well, unless you are You Know Who, and didn't from the start. But for nearly everyone else wanting to build a career in the public eye it's almost mandatory for getting and growing a fan base (one of my favourite actors doesn't have any either, but precious few celebrities can do without). So they waffle. And I don't blame them.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
Not really, No. I'm canadian and I love skaters from all over the world. In fact on my top 5 skaters list the only canadian skaters that are on it are V/M. I also find myself not really liking a good percentage of Canadian pair teams ( for their skating though, although a few teams for their attitudes as well)

Manitou

Medalist
To be fair though, they don't IMO have a lot of leeway in social media, that is kind of expected by any kind of fan these days, especially with the decline in conventional journalism. They all - Americans, Russians, Japanese, small or large fed - do need to have an social media presence and with it being both necessary and unpredictably toxic, if they are unblessed with eloquence and uncanny prescience, falling back on their country's favourite tropes is probably wise. Too many people have been spontaneous for 240 characters and lived to REALLY regret it...

But they have to say something! Well, unless you are You Know Who, and didn't from the start. But for nearly everyone else wanting to build a career in the public eye it's almost mandatory for getting and growing a fan base (one of my favourite actors doesn't have any either, but precious few celebrities can do without). So they waffle. And I don't blame them.

Liza Tuktik is very present online and her posts are sassy and full of self-distancing humor.

le01

Rinkside
I do admit to having some bias towards my home country however it does not mean my favourites can’t be from another country. Though not a French I remember being absolutely devastated when P/C lost to V/M at Olympics and like Gabriella I still don’t like thinking about this event

Sent from my iPhone using Golden Skate

Manitou

Medalist
I do admit to having some bias towards my home country however it does not mean my favourites can’t be from another country. Though not a French I remember being absolutely devastated when P/C lost to V/M at Olympics and like Gabriella I still don’t like thinking about this event

Blame the costume designer. How can you screw up this badly with such a simple and obvious thing on such an important event? I still don't understand it.
And there is still one lesson they haven't learnt yet. They keep underestimating the importance of RD. It was their weakness back then and still is now.