Is our love for a skater purer if they are not from our own country ? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is our love for a skater purer if they are not from our own country ?

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
At the end of the day, everyone chooses, or is simply drawn to certain skater(s) and decide to root for them, or "adopt" them, whatever the reason may be. That's all good, each to their own and there is no harm in it. The problem starts only when, as a backlash, someone, or certain group of fans start dissing and carrying hate propaganda against the rivals of their idols, or against the skater they don't like just because of his/her nationality or just because he/she doesn't suit their tastes. Loving and rooting for anyone, is something positive, it's all good.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Nationality doesn't matter with me, a great skater is a great skater no matter where in the world they're from :)

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
If they're good and from my own country, I feel a bit more satisfied, however there weren't a lot of German skaters lately who really impressed me. It also doesn't help that people based in one country skate for different countries, this confuses my emotional brain. Especially now that I live in the UK!
In the end I just cheer for the most unusual and exciting performance (mostly Mae Berenice Meite <3) and that's it :D

Apart from that, I get the feeling that Germans in specific tend to give less commitment to anything that comes from their country, which might stem from the fact that WW2 and German nationalism is still a super-sensitive topic that get's chewed through at least a hundred times in most lessons/subjects at school, hence plenty of people are very shy to show any patriotism/country-related pride.

P.S: Don't want to initiate a whole discussion on Germany/WW2 here, so please just leave it as one subjective opinion (which might very well be wrong :D)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
For now it is pretty easy for me to cheer for skaters from different countries, because here is no clash with the local athletes, who, with the exception of Březina, are not on the top level. I support skaters (and generally athletes) from my country, though I wouldn't call it love, just wish them to do their best. It's just that truly succesful skater from here can attract more attention and bring more fans to the sport. I mean, before Sáblíková hardly anybody was interested in speed skating here, it was her who raised the popularity of the sport. I believe that if we would find somebody like her in figure skating, the popularity of figure skating (which was pretty high once upon a time :) ) would grow again.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
I think it can go the other way, too. When a skater comes along from a country that is not regarded as a big skating power, there is an extra impetus to wish that skater well. Look how universally popular Javier Fernandez was, for instance.

I went to a skating competition once where I found myself sitting next to a bunch of young people who had brought a stack of blank placards to hold up. As each skater finished, these fans consulted their program notes to see who was going next and hurriedly wrote out,"Go So-and-so!" :)
That's actually so nice though! It must be nice to get support from the audience.
If it's a sport I don't know (like in the olympics) I automatically root for the Canadian athlete
In figure skating, I always want Canadian athletes to do well, but I definitely have favourites I want to win regardless of nationality. Except for the team event, which is about as nationalistic as it gets.

rabidline

Final Flight
Hi ! I'm wondering sometimes if we can say our love for a skater/team is purer if they are not from our own country as there is no patriotic feeling behind our support...

Personally speaking I don't think any certain manner in loving or supporting a skater/team can be considered "purer" or "better" than others, including loving/not loving skaters/teams due to Nationality.

People will love who they love, people will support who they support. That's enough for me. There's no moral superiority in loving certain skaters/teams in a certain manner different from the other fans, or vice versa (disliking them). Nationalism or patriotism, personal experience or preference may factor into fan partisanship, but to me there's no hierarchy in how you love and support your favorite skater/team. If there's questionable behavior it usually reflects more on the fan as a person, not who they support nor why they are supporting certain skaters/teams.

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Like others, I think nationality isn’t a factor to me. (Though some how or the other, all of my favorites are from the same country). I do acknowledge my country’s skater and hope for them to do well -in which case doing well means to get tech minimums or qualify for the free - though. I must admit, however, that since my nation’s skater is far from being competitive against my favorites, I’m not quite sure how nationality would play a role for me if they were to be direct competitors.

I’m curious, for those who have two favorites that are direct rivals, one is from your own country while another is from somewhere else... do you end up unconsciously hoping for your country’s skater to place higher?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Like others, I think nationality isn’t a factor to me. (Though some how or the other, all of my favorites are from the same country). I do acknowledge my country’s skater and hope for them to do well -in which case doing well means to get tech minimums or qualify for the free - though. I must admit, however, that since my nation’s skater is far from being competitive against my favorites, I’m not quite sure how nationality would play a role for me if they were to be direct competitors.

I’m curious, for those who have two favorites that are direct rivals, one is from your own country while another is from somewhere else... do you end up unconsciously hoping for your country’s skater to place higher?

This is a very interesting question. When I thought about it, I couldn’t think of any favorites in direct competition. And my favorites have a ranking inside my heart, but it’s not related to country (Jason is first in my heart, but not because he’s American. If he switched countries tomorrow, he would still be first).

But could country be a tie-breaker? I don’t know:scratch3:

rain

Record Breaker
Is there really a thread about whose love is "purer"? Measuring devotion to skaters that people don't even know? As if one person is better than another on this "purity test" because they like a skater not from their home country? This is an incredibly bizarre, and frankly kind of disturbing concept. Perspective, seriously.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Is there really a thread about whose love is "purer"? Measuring devotion to skaters that people don't even know? As if one person is better than another on this "purity test" because they like a skater not from their home country? This is an incredibly bizarre, and frankly kind of disturbing concept. Perspective, seriously.

The only thing i found a little bizzare here is the way you interpreted the topic. The topic is not a 'purity test' and it' s not that serious topic in first place to act seriously, seriously.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
But could country be a tie-breaker? I don’t know:scratch3:

I think it's natural to have preferencies, and 'national bias' if it's not manifested negatively toward other skaters, can be a positive part of those preferences. Even judges who should act the most objectively they can, manifest that from time to time, but in many cases it could be just an unconcious thing to do when it's come to a tie-braker. But comparing to the 6.0 system where judges were litteraly placing skaters, and where those biases in a tie-braker situations were happening more commonly, this judging system (at least on paper) is made to be more free from that. I think its 'easier' to judge objectively when skater from your country is not involved
E: Most people will naturaly root for skaters from their own country, some 'rebelious' ones will root for the one they 'shouldn't', for some of us country won't be important at all. Me, beside the skaters i personally enjoy watching, i' m always rooting for non- favourites or 'less loved' skaters to win, but i don' t belong to any particular nation, nor those nations have any top skater to root for. So for example i found myself rooting for one particular skater in one competition to win, and next year i was rooting for another one to pull an upset against that same skater i was rooting for the year before :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I wouldn’t get caught up in the semantics in the wording too much. I believe the OP is just looking to discuss if people have an inclination to root for their “home nation” skaters over potential rivals and if it’s a different feeling to root for rivals of your national figure skating team.

I think we all have some built in patriotism and most Olympic sports lend themselves to it. I once told someone deeply involved with figure skating that I was pulling for Yulia in the Olympics because I loved her story and her skating and their response was rude, aggressive and along the lines of “you’re not really from the US are you and if you are you are embarrassing”. I was kinda taken aback. I often joked that the person in question has Hulk Hogan’s theme song as their alarm clock :laugh:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don’t know, I mostly like the big name skaters and I like human stories that I imagine. Ridiculously good looking or huge charisma is more likely to impact me than the flag. I am more interested in Grand Prix series vs the second half of the season for that reason because it is more based on individuality.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Even if you do find yourself leaning a little towards people from your own country/continent, it's not necessarily nationalism per se: be fair, artistic/cultural tastes can feed in as well. The skaters, being a part of their culture, share those leanings, and it comes out in their skating, presentation and public personalities (hellooooo Daisuke Takahashi, Stephane Lambiel and Nathan Chen) and there is nothing wrong in responding to that touch of a cultural connection with someone you admire.

I think I said (okay, ranted) before that people can follow a sport or sports stars in any damn way shape or form they choose and it doesn't make them any better or worse fans than other more 'purist' ones. That goes with this question. Whatever 'purity' is, in the end it has no effect on the cheers or the tears....

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I don't find a problem in rooting for a skaters from your nation or any other nation you choose to. The thing i find problematic is when people by rooting for some particular skater (or nation) starting to identify themselves with that skater/nation in a way that everything good is what that one particular skater is doing, and what others are doing is all wrong. It's a cult of persona which started with Yuna Kim (maybe before that, but i wasn't there), continued with Zhenya versus Alina, and i think it will be going only further with new stars of figure skating. Its fine for me to root for everyone you want to for every reasons you found, but to be 'over the top' involved in that process is the only thing i found 'questionable'. But that's another topic, i quess.

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
A slightly different take on this issue.

Considering SINGLES only, how many skaters are raised in a country, train in the same country and yet compete for another country? I have no stats but it seems to be more common for skaters from big skating nations to do that. And particularly more common the closer we get to the Olympics. I see no problem with this as it does make the sport a bit more egalitarian particularly for those countries with fewer skating resources. So - ignoring its "purity" factor - we can happily cheer on a skater who grew up and trains 30 km away and represents a country 3000 km away.

There is one potential drawback (or perhaps benefit - not sure which actually happens). We would hope that this promotes development of skaters in that "adopted" country rather than stifle opportunities for home-developed skaters. People's thoughts on that?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Being American I am bias for Russia because of Russian pairs and dance and men and now ladies!!!! So being so biased for Russia sometimes I automatically favor Russians whatever. So what about that

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In the good/bad old days, fans were depended on mainstream media and TV networks to see skating and for news about skaters. There was a big emphasis on skaters from your "home" country. TV would often show the top 3 or 5 skaters plus all "home-country" skaters. Of course people rooted for them; they were the only skaters they really knew.

Since the days of the internet, forums, and live streaming, fans can see whole competitions and read about skaters from all over the world. However, there are still language and cultural barriers.

I personally "specialize" in 4CC skaters. I live in the Pacific time zone, and many 4 continents events happen during the evening in my time zone (and then dragging on into the wee hours). I watch whatever 4CC events are at a convenient time for me, which tends to cover all four disciplines (at least over several years). Following 4CC skaters has the additional advantage that many of them are from English-speaking countries, but I have also taken a shine to Peng/Jin, the Chinese ice dancers, and the Japanese. It isn't that I dislike European skaters, it's just that I was initially less exposed to them, and I then decided to specialize my fandom, as it is hard to keep up with everyone.

Other people may have different ways for choosing who to follow, but for me a common language and convenient competition times have shaped my interest.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I don't care one iota where a skater is from. I stan Yuzu, adore Shoma, Daisuke. Was a huge Plushy fan at the time when he was from the "evil" Russia. You should have seen the spin they were giving Plush vs. Yags in 2002 Olys with the fluff pieces as they made Yags seem like the good guy with speaking English and training here, etc. Plush, was very very the foreigner with subtitles. Sasha Cohen is my favorite ladies skater ever and is really the reason I became a fan of the sport (along with plush), but she was around in the time of Kwan so it was basically like supporting a foreigner anyway.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No. I love skaters from all countries, Mexico, Canada, England, France and I know I'm leaving some out...I think I love more US skaters strictly because I am exposed to more of them. My love for Keegan isn't "purer" than my love for Jason.