Is Patrick Chan the best pure skater ever | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Patrick Chan the best pure skater ever

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Now that the legendary and wonderful Patrick Chan has officialy closed the curtain on his amazing career it is a good time to reflect on his legacy. While I would not say he is the best mens skater ever (although he is certainly an all time great) would you agree (as many of his peers do) he is the best pure and basic skater ever in mens skating. By that I mean things like quality of edges, flow, curves, blade work, footwork, speed, and just general ability to work the blade and the edges.

The thing about Patrick Chan's pure skating abilities is he was taught to skate and do figures by the late great Osborne Colson, who was the Canadian Men's Champion in 1936 and 1937. Mr. Colson came from the "old School of skating" and passed this on to Patrick Chan and many other Canadian and World champions - Barbara Ann Scott and Donald Jackson.

Patrick speaks very highly of his first coach:

His coach, Osborne Colson, made him spend 30 minutes a day on basic stroking, edge work, cross-cutting and balance drills.[5] Chan said, "I tell people I owe the flow in my knees and the flow I generate from my edges to Mr. Colson. He knew he had to pull everything apart and start from the ground up on the basics of skating."

This is one of the skills that is sadly lacking in some of the training today. As Kurt Browning - who is my favorite on the blade says today even footwork isn't what it used to be. Kurt says skaters used to do footwork to show "hey I can do this better than you"

I always enjoy watching Patrick skate, when the pressures not on him. It is pure beauty to watch him. Even Kurt Browning says that.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Goodness yes. It was no burden at worlds to turn up at the practice rink at 6am just to see him rehearse. I'm devastated he's retiring. I will miss him very much.

I alway felt that Kurt Browning was the king of edges and blade work. Is Patrick even better? Maybe so. I have to confess that I liked the early Patrick (2009) the best. Happy feet. A joy to watch.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Yes I do agree some aspects of his artistry could be better, and there was a time some aspects of his PCS were inflated, particularly when he made major mistakes which were disruptive and impactful to the overall program, sometimes protecting his wins even with falls over others who skated cleanly. I am just speaking of skating skills alone in this instance.

PChan has the greatest mastery over the blades among the men. That is obviously his strongest PCS component and the quality of his TR as a result of his blade mastery is phenomenal. His great basics allowed him to perform various choreo and programmes but I think his PCS weakness was in his use of upper body and performance and interpretation where I will say Hanyu and especially Javi were stronger.

That said, if we all ever want to watch complete blade mastery SS, PChan will be the pick for men and Yuka Sato for the ladies. Til today, I still can't quite get the physics of how Yuka can power across the ice like she is floating and yet the blade sounded so quiet.

Globetrotter

Medalist
This is one of the skills that is sadly lacking in some of the training today. As Kurt Browning - who is my favorite on the blade says today even footwork isn't what it used to be. Kurt says skaters used to do footwork to show "hey I can do this better than you"

Oh well, landing the quad jumps score more points and earn a reward quick vs practising bladework and SS which is subjectively scored and you don't get a guaranteed DV 10.3 like a 4T

miloandtock1

Rinkside
Not near the very top. If you want superb all around pure skating - John Curry and Toller Cranston. Robin Cousins. Scott Hamilton. Kurt Browning. Stephane Lambiel. Chan has some good moments.

LucyH

On the Ice
One of the best but not the best in my opinion. Hanyu is the best EVER in the last 20-30 years. NO ONE has the same level of technical and artistic skills in one SPECTACULAR package. The H&L program at 2017 Worlds was OTHER WORLDLY!

slider11

Medalist
Yes. For pure skill in gliding his blade across the ice with impeccable posture and artistic flair with speed, style and grace. Yes.

blackey

On the Ice
To me he absolutely is. I used to be one of those people complaining about he always getting "inflated" scores, but after watch him skate live I'd say there really is nobody like that lol. He's truly a class of his own.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
One of the best but not the best in my opinion. Hanyu is the best EVER in the last 20-30 years. NO ONE has the same level of technical and artistic skills in one SPECTACULAR package. The H&L program at 2017 Worlds was OTHER WORLDLY!
Well, Hanyu has good charisma and presence as well as a sense of timing... But his actual skating skills really aren't all that spectacular.

And this is where I interject and beg to differ. Hanyu has spectacular skating skills, but not legendary skating skills (if that makes any sense).

That just means that your bar's lower than mine for such a definition. It's not an exact science.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Well, Hanyu has good charisma and presence as well as a sense of timing... But his actual skating skills really aren't all that spectacular.

And this is where I interject and beg to differ. Hanyu has spectacular skating skills, but not legendary skating skills (if that makes any sense).

SmallAminal

On the Ice
If Patrick Chan skated in circles at a public skate, I'd be there....mesmerized.
I agree that he didn't have all the flashy quads and was inconsistent, but his core skating skills are incredible.

Did Patrick ever do any ice dancing? With those edges, I bet he could have been an amazing ice dancer as well.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
To me he absolutely is. I used to be one of those people complaining about he always getting "inflated" scores, but after watch him skate live I'd say there really is nobody like that lol. He's truly a class of his own.

Same for me.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Patrick is like a tablespoon of butter gliding on a hot frying pan. I love the sound of his edges when I watch him skate. Is he single by any chance :laugh2:

gkelly

Record Breaker
It's hard to say "best skating skills ever" because we haven't seen for ourselves the skating skills in whole programs by skaters before the television/triple jump era.

Best skating skills combined with quadruple jumps?