ISU Deal with Universal Sport | Golden Skate

ISU Deal with Universal Sport

janetfan

Match Penalty
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/c...-3787-4771-layout160-129898-news-item,00.html

What do you make of it?
General Electric to drop NBC.
Comcast to pick up something. What?

What's it all about, Alfie?

It is better than nothing and particularly good for speed skating, short track and synchronized skating. But at the moment I believe Universal Sports is locked in with Comcast so only households that have Comcast are able to view it.

I live in the Philadelphia market place and comcast is available but I have Direct TV, so I can't watch the Universal Sports channel. I don't know what percentage of US households have Comcast available - and what percentage of people that have it available have chosen it over alternatives like Dish Network, Direct TV or other cable providers.

As far as exposure it can't compare with ESPN which is available on most cable/Satellite providers.

schiele

Final Flight
It is better than nothing and particularly good for speed skating, short track and synchronized skating. But at the moment I believe Universal Sports is locked in with Comcast so only households that have Comcast are able to view it.

I live in the Philadelphia market place and comcast is available but I have Direct TV, so I can't watch the Universal Sports channel. I don't know what percentage of US households have Comcast available - and what percentage of people that have it available have chosen it over alternatives like Dish Network, Direct TV or other cable providers.

As far as exposure it can't compare with ESPN which is available on most cable/Satellite providers.
I dont know how it works in America but Im guessing if ur willing to pay or change current providers you shall get Universal , right?
and they seem to be boadcasting everything. We in Europe only get live EC and WC if we're lucky. So although a wide audience reach may be a problem, at least the fans should be happy I guess. Or am I wrong?

I dont know how it works in America but Im guessing if ur willing to pay or change current providers you shall get Universal , right?
and they seem to be boadcasting everything. We in Europe only get live EC and WC if we're lucky. So although a wide audience reach may be a problem, at least the fans should be happy I guess. Or am I wrong?
If the ISU is in the deal, wouldn't they care about Europe being ISU Hqs is in Europe?

schiele

Final Flight
If the ISU is in the deal, wouldn't they care about Europe being ISU Hqs is in Europe?

You'd think wouldn't you? :) well each country makes its own deal. We only get eurosport uniformly thruout Europe. They onky show EC and WC and these may not even be live broadcasts depending on the cost.

RUKen

Rinkside

Comcast cable is not available in all areas of the U.S., so not everyone has access to Universal Sports. It may be that Universal will be made available to other television providers, but at this point it's hard to guess.

jcoates

Medalist
The real question will be if US will remain available through local NBC affiliates' sub-channel broadcasts via converter boxes. That was part of the business model and was mentioned earlier this year when the deal for this fall's GP was announced.

Regarding other cable/satellite providers, it would make sense for Comcast to make UniSprts available to competitors either as a basic cable channel on par with the other current NBC properties or perhaps for a premium to increase revenue. That's not all that unusual (although it can lead to disputes between carriers). In fact the primary reason for the acquisition by Comcast was because NBC's cable stations have fares so well during the recession despite the broadcast network going down in flames.

The key may be how well UniSprts fares during the Olympics as a subnetwork of NBC's coverage. (It would behoove Comcast/NBC to make it available to all cable and satellite subscribers for free to sample as a promotion during February.) It might serve to establish it as a firm challenger to ESPN and others. That would position it as an attractive option for other carriers to have in their lineups.

Jhar55

Medalist
I have comcast but don't get universal sports, live in such a small area we don't get all the good channels you'd get in the bigger market areas. But if we were to get it they probably put in on the high def channels so you have to upgrade.
Can get it on the net but either I missed or skating wasn't shown as of yet on universal sports net

R.D.

Record Breaker
Same here...comcast subscriber but no US (the local NBC station does not broadcast it)

I do hope the buyout means I'll get it in the future.

Just trying to get the story of the events correct.

NBC in pushing for ratings for the Olys, made a deal with UniSport.. Now, Who Owns UniSport?. I would imagine the ISU was also in on that deal.

Apparently, NBC is losing money due to programming unrelated to figure skating, and General Electric will stop or has already stopped being its parent supporter. This seems to suggest that after the Olys, there will be no prime time coverage of figure skating. I have no idea of ratings for Disson shows, although I am sure the family entertainment business works well at Yuletide. Who will cover Disson shows?

My cable system is Time Warner and carries UniSport but Will Comcast stop that?

And where is the USFS in all this? UniSport does not show complete competitions. Icenetwork does but not all comps.

It all seems muddled after the Olys and hopefully the USFS explains it. If any member of GS is privi to all this, it would be appreciated.

Wicked

Final Flight
I live in the Philadelphia market place and comcast is available but I have Direct TV, so I can't watch the Universal Sports channel.

I am in DC and also have DirecTV. DirecTV actually had the Universal Sports channel for the whole month of September this year. October 1, they dropped it. Apparently they picked it up for the cycling coverage. I don't know if there is a plan to try and put it back on the lineup more permanently. This forum talks about it- http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=3241664