Jason Brown | Page 154 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Aw, I've been away from this thread for a little while but I love popping back in to see so many happy stories about Jason. It's lovely to be a Jason fan because it's so easy to be a fan of his personality. Plus, with how centered he is, I never worry about him psychologically.

Oooh! I remember having a discussion about Worlds in Helsinki several months ago, maybe even over the summer. I think I expressed interest at the time and I still do, if I can get the funds together! Sorry I don't pop into this thread (or the forum in general, sometimes) more often.

You do have a life, it's understandable. :biggrin:

We probably should have a Pacific Northwest Jason Brown fan meet-up. :D I was in Seattle this past weekend for an event. I could not get over how nice and sunny it was for February! You definitely picked a good year to move. (Sadly, this probably means that next winter it will probably be more rainy.)

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
Aw, I've been away from this thread for a little while but I love popping back in to see so many happy stories about Jason. It's lovely to be a Jason fan because it's so easy to be a fan of his personality. Plus, with how centered he is, I never worry about him psychologically.

And have you noticed that Jason's fans tend to be charmingly positive people as well? There's so little complaining and snark here, and I find it so refreshing.

I don't think an evil person could be a Jason fan. Or if they did become a fan, they would drop the evil and embrace the kittens and rainbows and killer competitive drive attitude that Jason & Jason fans seem to enjoy :love: :party2:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
This thread should absolutely be dedicated to gushing. :yes:

I actually disagree with that. While I think it is fine to have a favorite, I would like to have a place to take of the rose colored glasses and discuss someone I am a fan of objectively, but still with people who are fans.

As much as we love Jason, he is not perfect, and I like looking at the analysis and what not as well as gushing.

I actually think it speaks very highly of Jason's fan that we can be objective and discuss other non-gushy issues without it getting ugly.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I actually disagree with that. While I think it is fine to have a favorite, I would like to have a place to take of the rose colored glasses and discuss someone I am a fan of objectively, but still with people who are fans.

As much as we love Jason, he is not perfect, and I like looking at the analysis and what not as well as gushing.

I actually think it speaks very highly of Jason's fan that we can be objective and discuss other non-gushy issues without it getting ugly.

I agree with this. I think it's important as fans to be aware of strengths and weaknesses. We can still like that person's skating in spite of those weaknesses, but I don't think it means we ignore them or that we can't talk about them.

That said, I think the gushing was much needed at this point in time. :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Non Gushy Issues" :laugh2:

This is why I love GS. BTW I agree 100% :thumbsup:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I agree with this. I think it's important as fans to be aware of strengths and weaknesses. We can still like that person's skating in spite of those weaknesses, but I don't think it means we ignore them or that we can't talk about them.

That said, I think the gushing was much needed at this point in time. :)

Well it is Jason, it is hard not to come back to gushing! I love all the gushing, there is something special about him in how he just grabs people.

Personally I think we need to have a surprise show up where he trains fan get together. . . since that is the most logistically convenient for both myself and Jason!

He and Josh should have an open to the public exhibition prior to worlds I think. Give them a chance to perform for a crowd and whinny fans like me to show up and see it!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I do really hope that we can make this happen! 2017 is going to be so special...because it's the last one before the Olympics, and if it's as well organised as FT it's going to be ah-mazing! We have to get some fan group T-shirt thing going: Team Brownzillas perhaps? :biggrin:

Uuuuuhhhhh, fan T-Shirts, yes! Or some caps and/or flags! :laugh:
To be honest though, I'd want to root for soooooooooo many skaters, if I got T-Shirts for all of them I'd look like an Eskimo :rofl:

TMC said:
And have you noticed that Jason's fans tend to be charmingly positive people as well? There's so little complaining and snark here, and I find it so refreshing.

And I'm sure Jason would know what a big, big compliment for him that is too :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He and Josh should have an open to the public exhibition prior to worlds I think. Give them a chance to perform for a crowd and whinny fans like me to show up and see it!

If you live near to CS, I understand it is allowed to go and watch practice...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
If you live near to CS, I understand it is allowed to go and watch practice...

ummm and where did you hear this. . . I'm about an hour from Monument, Co so. . . be careful of giving me ideas. CS is a bit farther south, but not by much.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ummm and where did you hear this. . . I'm about an hour from Monument, Co so. . . be careful of giving me ideas. CS is a bit farther south, but not by much.

There was another poster here a little while ago, who I know watched Max at training and was able to meet him afterwards. I can't imagine the rink at Monument would be much different, so long as you kept quietly out of the way and didn't interrupt anything, and I suppose probably not record anything either.

I simply live vicariously through everyone in the position to be able to watch them :) One day, one day...

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Max trains at the World Arena, though, which may be different than Monument. But it would be fun to find out - you could always stop by to ask if they give adult classes or have public skates at the rink, or something like that, and see if watching him practice is possible.

Actually, I think Jason might skate some of the national sessions at the World Arena. So you could find out if those are open to the public. If they are you might hit the jackpot and catch Jason, Max and Josh all in one session.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max trains at the World Arena, though, which may be different than Monument. But it would be fun to find out - you could always stop by to ask if they give adult classes or have public skates at the rink, or something like that, and see if watching him practice is possible.

I would have thought the World Arena, being an Olympic training venue, would be stricter about spectators. Never hurts to ask though. And unless they have level-specific freestyles, you could even wind up training on the same ice! I know Manleywoman of the Manleywoman skatecast used to train on the same ice as Jason when he was in Chicago. She said that she saw him regularly, for extended sessions, and she never once saw him lose his temper.

Actually, I think Jason might skate some of the national sessions at the World Arena. So you could find out if those are open to the public. If they are you might hit the jackpot and catch Jason, Max and Josh all in one session.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is the point karne dies. Can you imagine? Watching the three of them on the same session? And watching the way they wove their patterns around each other, each knowing the other's training pattern so that there's no collisions? Watching Max and Jason switch out turns on the harness with Erik, maybe even seeing some harness fun like quad flips or - or Max's quad Axel? To watch them do runthroughs over and over until they have it right, to watch Joshua at work with Damon putting things together, to watch Jason spinning and spinning, to watch Max whizz around at the speed of light?
/dead

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
There was another poster here a little while ago, who I know watched Max at training and was able to meet him afterwards. I can't imagine the rink at Monument would be much different, so long as you kept quietly out of the way and didn't interrupt anything, and I suppose probably not record anything either.

I simply live vicariously through everyone in the position to be able to watch them :) One day, one day...

I will keep it in mind. To be honest I would only want to go if it was very clearly welcome. To give a comparisons, I have hard some nurses complain about having rules but having the rule of "Don't upset the patient" superseding all other rules; leaving them unsure of how to not get in trouble. I would not want to attend if it was more of a not allowed to kick people out vs not actually welcome. If visitors are not fully welcome, I'd rather respect the wishes of the skater/coach. Especially with worlds coming up.

Monument is sorta a pit stop along the road to Colorado Springs. For me it is a convenient day trip away but something like classes i would seek closers. . . although that could be a good pretense! Monument is about 1 hour from me, Would Arena I think would be 1.5. And I recall also seeing Jason has gone World Arena sessions.

I would have thought the World Arena, being an Olympic training venue, would be stricter about spectators. Never hurts to ask though. And unless they have level-specific freestyles, you could even wind up training on the same ice! I know Manleywoman of the Manleywoman skatecast used to train on the same ice as Jason when he was in Chicago. She said that she saw him regularly, for extended sessions, and she never once saw him lose his temper.

I would think so to to be honest. Hell I would almost hope so! I have been on ice skates exactly ones in my life, no lessons, so I am not sure I would be any where near anything interesting.

You know, he has to loose his temper sometimes. And when he does everyone around him likely just loses it. My better half lost his temper working at a restaurant once and cursed loudly enough for customers to hear (bar atmosphere, the curses were to get the food to the customers in time) just as half the waitstaff rushed up to grab the order, he heard his boss. . . laughing uncontrollably from his office. It was just so out of character that the boss could not be upset, he was just entertained. I imagine the same has happened to Jason many many times, temper lost. . . everyone just laughs in disbelief.

It's like hearing the Pope curse. . . it happens so rarely and unexpectedly, you have to just enjoy the ride and pay attention.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is the point karne dies. Can you imagine? Watching the three of them on the same session? And watching the way they wove their patterns around each other, each knowing the other's training pattern so that there's no collisions? Watching Max and Jason switch out turns on the harness with Erik, maybe even seeing some harness fun like quad flips or - or Max's quad Axel? To watch them do runthroughs over and over until they have it right, to watch Joshua at work with Damon putting things together, to watch Jason spinning and spinning, to watch Max whizz around at the speed of light?
/dead

I got to see someone on roller skates to a sit spin once. . . that is the most impressive skating I have ever seen in person. It would not take much to make me giggle with glee.

Actually, if the commoner riff-raff like me are allowed to go to the Broadmoor Open, I likely will be going. Or rather I wonder what hell will keep me from going. Even my better half said he'd like to go to something like that for a date, so yeah, assuming I can find permission to go, I think i will be slinking off.

Last edited:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
You do have a life, it's understandable. :biggrin:

We probably should have a Pacific Northwest Jason Brown fan meet-up. :D I was in Seattle this past weekend for an event. I could not get over how nice and sunny it was for February! You definitely picked a good year to move. (Sadly, this probably means that next winter it will probably be more rainy.)

Yay for PNW skating fans! If there's ever a competition in this area again (Seattle, Spokane, Portland) I'll be going for sure. This winter has been incredibly mild. I keep hearing about and seeing all the snow in other states and can't believe that last year I was right in the midst of all of that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yay for PNW skating fans! If there's ever a competition in this area again (Seattle, Spokane, Portland) I'll be going for sure. This winter has been incredibly mild. I keep hearing about and seeing all the snow in other states and can't believe that last year I was right in the midst of all of that.

Last PNW competition was when Kent hosted Skated America in 2012 (which I attended). Everett hosted Skate America in 2008. Spokane hosted Nationals in 2007 and 2010 (and Skate America in 2003, IIRC), Portland hosted Skate America in 2010 (and Nationals back in 2005). So I hope we get some sort of event here soon.

Seattle isn't usually really cold in the winter, just rainy. :D It doesn't get a lot of snow usually.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
3S had enough height and distance that they probably could have gone to the next stage of progression... ;)

I was actually wondering about that. I wonder if a skater who is training for a 4S on their own might actually get some benefit to learning it as a throw. Sorta instead of using a puppet harness pole system, just throw them pairs style. They would be able to get a feel for landing it with the needed height and distance, and get a feel for the rotation. Seems some skaters might find some use in it. Please note, I am one of those people who always has to learn differently so I think in weird terms like this.

I wonder how hard it would be for someone like Simon to do a throw Sal with someone like Max who is pretty comfortable with the 4S on its own.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have not seen this before, I am sorry if it is a double post, the USFA *second* blooper reel, where Jason adorably (of course he's adorable) says it's easier when he has someone telling him what to say in an ear-microphone. And who is the guy who can't spell hippopotamus? He's cute too. I guess I need to learn more skaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5XQZ0-zEcA

Still say we never say an *actual* get to know me squib from Jason.

Last edited: