Jason Brown | Page 158 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Nice stats! Out of curiosity, how did you compile the stats? Did you use a script to scrape the data from the ISU website? :)

Thank you ;) I have to admit I don't do any fancy stuff: simply looking through protocols and tipping numbers down (good old Excel!). Can be a real pain, actually :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

alabhaois

On the Ice
I love that he's proud of being national champion, not in a boastful way but in the sense that he really seems to feel it's really an honor.

That's a perfect way of putting it, papagena-- I've never observed a shred of ego in his attitude; he knows he's good but it's never in a smug or conceited way. He's got the gift of true humility and it's such an asset to have.

:love:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Kori posted this message on instagram and attached a video of Jason doing his final spin. It looks like he has a new costume for worlds.

sk8coachirok One last clean program ✅ skates ✅ costume ✅ recovery food ✅ @jasonbskates excited and ready for his first World Championships and for #Brownstakeover in Shanghai #WCShanghai @skate7k #teamusa #teamkoro

Jason final spin - new outfit?

Go Jason! :cheer:

Last edited:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If the outfit in the video is a change and not practice clothes -- the pants are different (no longer the light brown), no boot covers, and, even though it's hard to tell in a black and white video, it looks like the overlay to his top is darker as well and matches the pants.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Kori posted this message on instagram and attached a video of Jason doing his final spin. It looks like he has a new costume for worlds.

sk8coachirok One last clean program ✅ skates ✅ costume ✅ recovery food ✅ @jasonbskates excited and ready for his first World Championships and for #Brownstakeover in Shanghai #WCShanghai @skate7k #teamusa #teamkoro

Jason final spin new costume

Go Jason! :cheer:

Kori missed a golden opportunity to put an extra ✅ after @jasonbskates, like his on her list to bring, i mean coach does need to bring her skater!

As for the costume. I also think it looks like practice pants, but I also wonder if there is a reason they did it in black and white other than playing with a new filter on the camera.

I also like his hair in this quite a bit. The looser pony tail is nice. I think the slicked on is better for Juke, but I would not mind seeing this one someday.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hmm, I hate to be the party pooper, but he could just be practicing. I mean, the shape and feel of the longer tunic would probably need practicing in regularly so that he knows how it feels, but doesn't need to be in full costume...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Worlds preview article on Jason in IN: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/03/23/114390606/consistency-key-to-browns-success-in-shanghai

According to Ade, the jump that might be considered Brown's Achilles' heel -- the triple Axel -- is the best it's ever been. At each of his five competitions this season, Brown has had a deduction on a least one of the three triple Axels in his short program and free skate.
After Four Continents last month, where an under-rotated triple Axel in the short cost Brown points and contributed to a sixth-place finish, Ade took action.
"I actually changed his pattern (leading into the triple Axel)," she said. "That was something I planned to do six months ago. I wanted to do it after nationals, and then we decided to do the quad at Four Continents, so it had to wait."
Instead of a relatively long lead-in, Brown now does the jump out of several turns.
"It leads to, I think, more consistent timing and more consistent pattern and less of a gray area," Ade said. "I was tired of watching him telegraph, and hold that edge and wait for it. I gave him much more of a built-in rhythm that essentially says, 'This is when you jump,' as opposed to jump when you feel like jumping."
"It's made a huge difference in the triple Axel's consistency," she added. "It's beautiful and solid as a rock right now."

Looking forward to see how this new 3A entrance will do at Worlds. :cheer:

Also Kori talkes about the quad attempt at 4CC

"There is always a first (attempt), and he needed to go through the emotional experience because when you get to this level, you don't have a lot of experience doing jumps for the first time anymore," she said. "(Next season) I didn't want him to say, 'Oh, I never tried it, so I don't know what it's like.' I wanted him to say, 'I tried it, I know what it is like, [and] I managed the rest of the program just fine.'"

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Mrs P - I too am really looking forward to the new choreo and 3A entry. And now I'm really curious as to whether they did in fact tweak the costume to go with the more sophisticated choreo, or if he was just wearing practice pants. The black and white video clip looks sophisticated too - almost film noir - but that could mean anything or nothing at all.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Someone on FSU was saying they hope he packs his costume pants separately and that luggage gets lost forcing him to use the black practice pants.

I just wish they would get rid of that weird hole in the green thingy right above the belt front and center.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So totally immersed in college basketball (this is a great week for sports for me!).

I've told a few friends that Jason is to skating like Wichita State is to college basketball. Two hardworking, intelligent teams (Kori/Rohene included in team Brown) who are still considered underdogs despite their achievements thus far (Jason being national champion; Wichita State making the final four in 2013). Wichita State just beat Kansas, long the big-brother of college basketball in the state.

Anyway, there was a story I read about Wichita State's win yesterday (such an awesome game) and this quote stood out to me.

The Shockers seem to give us big reasons to watch them, and casual college basketball fans everywhere have taken to pulling for the Shockers. Why not? Huge, devoted fanbase and still a whiff of underdog to them.

Replace Jason with "The Shockers" and figure skating with "Basketball" and the quote applies.

Hoping that Jason will have his big Wichita State moment this week! :)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Ooh me too! ;)

Did you see on Twitter that when Lynn Rutherford tweeted the link to her story with a few words about the revamped 3A, Phil Hersh basically said I'll believe it when I see it? (That's not quite what he said but close enough).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The skepticism is understandable. He really struggled on the jump early in the season. But he's definitely improved on it since then. Perceptions are hard to kill.

That said, his team has the uncanny ability to do a lot in a relative short time. I remember he went from falling on two of his three 3As attempts at Nationals in 2013 to hitting all three of them (with a revised FS layout, no less) at Jr. Worlds with a first place FS and record Jr. Men score that would take more than a year to break.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Ooh me too! ;)

Did you see on Twitter that when Lynn Rutherford tweeted the link to her story with a few words about the revamped 3A, Phil Hersh basically said I'll believe it when I see it? (That's not quite what he said but close enough).

We have got to figure out what it is the Phil has against Jason. Maybe he is just too tabloid now and wants to see a disaster so he has something to write. He is getting rather dull.

I mean how dare a coach look at a skater and think of ways to correct problems or make things work better. How dare they wait to introduce it at the right time.

I actually think having more of a rhythm to when to jump is a good idea for someone like Jason. Give him something to feel with the music and the jump.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Did you see on Twitter that when Lynn Rutherford tweeted the link to her story with a few words about the revamped 3A, Phil Hersh basically said I'll believe it when I see it? (That's not quite what he said but close enough).

No, not close enough, IMO. YMMV.

To me, Hersh's exact words are much more neutral than your paraphrasing:
@olyphil
@LynnRutherford @icenetwork @irokdamic @jasonbskates Easy to say, harder to do - as your story notes
8:01 AM - 23 Mar 2015
https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/580021472737001472

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I don't think he needed to say anything at all.

It's not like Kori has a history for saying stuff randomly. Of course in competition is different, you don't need to state the obvious unless you want to highlight the chance of failure.