Javier Fernandez Preparing for Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez Preparing for Olympics

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I wonder if it's really been for naught. He's a two time World Champion, he practically dominates European Men's figure skating as a Spainard! for over 5 years, he's won the SP at these World Championships....sure he can be disappointed, but I still think he has every chance to make it on the Olympic Podium and even get the Gold, if the stars align. His PCS is nothing to laugh at, he is beloved by the judges....even if he stops skating now, his career will be one of a kind and he's written Figure Skating history already. This Worlds LP was a well skated event. Three medallists skated clean clean programs. He had a big lead, it was just too many mistakes at the end. At any other Worlds, he might've been the winner. There are days when you win, and days when you lose. Focusing on his skating skills was the right decision. But I can see how the high TES scores make him question everything now.

Kelly

On the Ice
He would not have said it if Chen had not received these high PCS. This is the problem.

If Javi had skated clean with 3 quads and not won over Shoma and Boyang, only then could he complain about how PCS not given out properly.

Now he wonders if he should have been spending more time on the technical side.
"The problem is, so many years that I've been in Toronto, I've been focusing more in my skating instead of being focused on my jumps," he said. "I've been spending all that time on my skating skills, and then somebody that is doing so many quads but doesn't have the skating (skills) is also receiving high marks. I'm like, 'Did I waste my time?' I should have maybe focused on the jumps instead of on the skating?"

:think::(

Nowadays you need to win by GOE and PCS both.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Nowadays you need to win by GOE and PCS both.

This is true. Basically, a well-rounded skater. But a competitive BV is also necessary. You can have 95 BV with 25 points of GOE and still lose to someone with 115 BV and 10 GOE, PCS being equal (which, tbh, wouldn't be in the latter, I'd hope!).

whatif

Medalist
Fernandez is turning into Chan. Is he implying that Boayng's PCS should have been even lower to allow him to podium or Uno's or Hanyu's PCS are too high???? I am confused.

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
It's also possible he is just thinking of how limited PCS are compared to TES.

Doesn't TES have a tendency to be higher as well compared to PCS? Correct me if I'm wrong.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Doesn't TES have a tendency to be higher as well compared to PCS? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Not before people started doing multiple quads. From what I've seen, TES has sort of gone hand in hand with the PCS, there existing a certain balance; at most I think a 10 or so point difference between them. As the sport has progressed, though, with TES of 115+, the difference is growing much higher. Take Shoma and Yuzuru this Worlds, with TES 120+ and PCS around 94 and 97, which is almost a 30 point difference. Then you have Boyang Jin, with almost 120 TES and 86 PCS. You can raise your TES higher and higher the more BV you add, but PCS will start to fall behind because you can't go further than 100 and the balance the scale was created with in mind will disappear.

Edit: Of course, it's a bit different with the ladies and/or when politics are involved in PCS grading.

Last edited:

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
Not before people started doing multiple quads. From what I've seen, TES has sort of gone hand in hand with the PCS, there existing a certain balance; at most I think a 10 or so point difference between them. As the sport has progressed, though, with TES of 115+, the difference is growing much higher. Take Shoma and Yuzuru this Worlds, with TES 120+ and PCS around 94 and 97, which is almost a 30 point difference. Then you have Boyang Jin, with almost 120 TES and 86 PCS. You can raise your TES higher and higher the more BV you add, but PCS will start to fall behind because you can't go further than 100 and the balance the scale was created with in mind will disappear.

Edit: Of course, it's a bit different with the ladies and/or when politics are involved in PCS grading.

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
It will be quite the fight among the top 6 men.

I know but I'm not talking about winning OGM and the podium finish is not out of reach for Javi. He nearly missed the podium at Sochi because of his Zayak violation (I was happy for Denis Ten's bronze though). Among the 6 men, Hanyu and Patirck won a medal and the others are very young. Because of the weak line-ups in the other disciplines, Javi has no chance of winning a Team Event medal unlike the other top competitors. Though Team event medals are likely to be shared by Russia/USA/Canada. He will enter next season as an underdog again. lol...

Last edited:

Khoai

Match Penalty
The issue with Mr. Fernandez is that, he should have added the 4Lo when he still had the chance. If he doesn't add it during summer, then it will be too late.

The reality is, this season he has been doing the same layout and he still isn't consistent, this might be crucial next season.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Javier sees the Olympic medal he covets so much getting further and further away from him. If he ends up having none, his two world titles will end up tasting pretty bitter in his mouth. However, for someone who has had consistent quads and has been working on his SS, I don't understand why he's still so slow. Chen probably has better basics than him.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Javier sees the Olympic medal he covets so much getting further and further away from him. If he ends up having none, his two world titles will end up tasting pretty bitter in his mouth. However, for someone who has had consistent quads and has been working on his SS, I don't understand why he's still so slow. Chen probably has better basics than him.

His complaint might be understandable, but only of his last name was Hanyu or Chan, because the only difference on SS between him and Chen/Jin/Shoma is that he's won 2 WC. The end.

At his best day his SS should be marked as 8.75 and I am being generous here, he gets one full mark for his looks and being Europe's savior.

FourSeasons

Rinkside
I don't see Javi very motivated to compete against this new generation of jumpers, but I really want to see him winning the olympic gold next year because I don't think we'll see him around for much longer (at least not in competitions)

Nika09

On the Ice
And 1 year later GS and any others Worlds 2018 predictions: "I don't think Olymp champ Javi could do it to podium, not much quads, not enough TEC etc." :laugh:

But seriously, I think we shouldn't rule out Javier. He could make huge gap with SP (where not much to do for Quadguys) that will help even with 3 quad FP, with high GOE and PCS. Brian is smart, maybe he has realized that improving Javi's skating skills and GOEs better idea than forcing him to do another quad. Honestly I would be happy if it will work.

Nocturne

On the Ice
I dont think he's attacking the youngsters with his statement and you shouldnt just assume that he's complaining about Chen, Boyang etc.
To me, it's pretty clear that he means the scoring potential and limit between PCS and TES is so unbalanced that maybe he would have been better off with having a few points less in PCS but practising more quads and having 30 points more in TES.
It's normal to think so in his position. It's a reflection of the scoring system and it's current evolution. If he's complaining, it's about the system, not about the youngsters individually.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Javier sees the Olympic medal he covets so much getting further and further away from him. If he ends up having none, his two world titles will end up tasting pretty bitter in his mouth.

Is that his own words? I was under the impression he was still happy with his two wins, no matter what happens? :scratch2:
And I definitely wouldn't write Fernandez off, given he just had the third World gold within his reach. And while age might be against him, the strain of training so many quads is against the younger favorites. I definitely don't wish anything to happen to them - *knocks on wood* - but I am worried about their health. Fernandez and Chan will probably play it safe, and I don't see anything wrong with that. And who knows, their strategy might work.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I don't see Javi very motivated to compete against this new generation of jumpers, but I really want to see him winning the olympic gold next year because I don't think we'll see him around for much longer (at least not in competitions)

I think it is within his plans to retire after the Olympics. I don't like it but he keeps bringing up his age, how long last season felt like for him, that he can't really keep up with the younger skaters tech-wise, etc.
However he sounds like he already feels his career is very successful and regardless of what happens at the Olympics, he won't feel regretful or anything or the sort. They asked him recently if he was afraid of not winning an Olympic medal, and he said fear is a word too strong to use for something like that.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i find his statement funny.. because honestly, Javi was known as a great jumper, not a fabulous skater. He worked very hard. He gets the highest PCS of them all... Look at the SP at worlds... Chan, who IMHO is clearly a better skater, when just as clean as Javi, got lower PCS..

Javi is getting these PCS because he did work and improve. Without that dedication, I doubt he would have made it to the top and would have remained a top 5-10 skater.

In other words, if he had not worked on his skating skills, maybe he would have a stable 4loop right now, but his pcs would be in the Kevin Reynolds area. So bye bye WC... and bye bye Olympic medal contention...

It just doesn't sound logical to me...