Javier Fernandez | Page 77 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

tzazu

Medalist
As per the program list published on JSOI website, Javi performed Danny Boy there.

Thanks evergreen for telling us of his program at SOI.

I’m searching for a video at SOI of him, but I cant find… At least, the show was aired live on CS channel on April 15. So there may be any video uploaded… Anyone my know of it.
Further, SOI is scheduled to be aired again on May 8 as 4 hours’s longer program. So, there’s still any chance of videos.

Thank you :thank:

evergreen

On the Ice
Thanks evergreen for telling us of his program at SOI.

I’m searching for a video at SOI of him, but I cant find… At least, the show was aired live on CS channel on April 15. So there may be any video uploaded… Anyone may know of it.
Further, SOI is scheduled to be aired again on May 8 as 4 hours’s longer program. So, there’s still any chance of videos.

My pleasure. From what I learn, Javi's program was not aired but need to double check.

He also performed his SP from 10-11 season in Japan SOI tour. I love this one, the best was done in 2011 Skate Canada International, where he shocked the skating world with brilliant performance. :love:

CSOI tour will star soon.

When Javi talked about keeping physical health, I am wondering whether he is still smoking.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
When Javi talked about keeping physical health, I am wondering whether he is still smoking.

I didn't know he smoked, but I doubt he still does. One of his sponsors is a Spanish Hospital and he went for a checkup last year http://www.marca.com/2015/06/16/mas_deportes/otros_deportes/1434446929.html
His lung capacity is 107 percent :biggrin: and in the endurance test, his heart rate went from 90 percent to normal standards in a minute and a half. The doctor even said that this test is done with oxygen masks at High Performance Centers, but Javier did it without one.
And for such demanding programs, he never looks as out of breath as I would expect ;)

evergreen

On the Ice
I didn't know he smoked, but I doubt he still does. One of his sponsors is a Spanish Hospital and he went for a checkup last year http://www.marca.com/2015/06/16/mas_deportes/otros_deportes/1434446929.html
His lung capacity is 107 percent :biggrin: and in the endurance test, his heart rate went from 90 percent to normal standards in a minute and a half. The doctor even said that this test is done with oxygen masks at High Performance Centers, but Javier did it without one.
And for such demanding programs, he never looks as out of breath as I would expect ;)

Javi is born to be an amazing athelete:agree: No wonder Yuzu admires & envies Javi's constitution.

As far as I know, he was a smoker until the early season of 2014-15, confirmed by one of the coaches of TCC. Smokers usually have endurance issues.

Javi told the doctor that he did not sleep well, poor guy. When he started to train at TCC, Orser had to pick up him in the morning everyday, otherwise he would not show up in the morning session. Morning calls did not work and Javi did not get up past noon. If he really has sleeping issue, he is better to get himself ready for competition in the morning, 2018 Olymic's skating events are all scheduled in the morning.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
From article about the SOI

Fernandez, a native of Spain where he is the six-time national champion, has been training with Orser at the Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club since 2011.

The 25-year-old said he had wanted to join Stars on Ice previously so was happy when he was offered a spot this year.

“I feel close to the Canadian people because of living in Toronto. I train with many of the Canadians and my coach Brian Orser is Canadian and people treat me so well here, it’s almost like I’m home. It’s very special for me.”

Chan is happy to have his closest competitor and great friend on tour describing Fernandez as very competitive, talented and bringing a “whole different energy to the cast.”

They skate together in the “Fosse-esque” opening and the finale and both will be reprising programs from this competitive season.

ernandez, who arrived in Halifax on Monday night and visited the Bicycle Thief with the cast deeming it “really, really good” will unveil his Danny Boy program, which he skated in the gala at the World Championships in Boston earlier this month.

“It’s slow music and I know it is a song that means a lot to a lot of people. It is not my style, but I’m trying to make it more special because it is not my style,” he explains of the program choreographed by David Wilson.

He will also skate his free program to Frank Sinatra’s Guys and Dolls that earned him a personal best and this second consecutive world title in Boston.

“It will be 30 seconds shorter than in Boston and minus the quads, but except the quads it will be the same, with the choreography and the spins.”

He’ll be moving on to new programs when he returns to Toronto to train after Stars on Ice wraps May 21 in Victoria, followed by a tour of Japan with Fantasy on Ice and a little vacation in Spain. He’s sorry to say farewell to Guys and Dolls with which he had such success this year and for which he created a character.

“One of the best things I do is put a little character into the music,” he says.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Javi told the doctor that he did not sleep well, poor guy. When he started to train at TCC, Orser had to pick up him in the morning everyday, otherwise he would not show up in the morning session. Morning calls did not work and Javi did not get up past noon. If he really has sleeping issue, he is better to get himself ready for competition in the morning, 2018 Olymic's skating events are all scheduled in the morning.

I´d suppose that his habits have changed since those early days at TCC and maybe early morning is not an issue anymore?

evergreen

On the Ice
I´d suppose that his habits have changed since those early days at TCC and maybe early morning is not an issue anymore?

He has been much more disciplined, of course, but according to an interview Orser gave to a Chinese media when Javi competed at 2015 COC, Javi still hates morning trainings. Having been to Spain a couple of time and get to know the life style of Spanish people, I totally understand Javi may never be a morning person.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
He has been much more disciplined, of course, but according to an interview Orser gave to a Chinese media when Javi competed at 2015 COC, Javi still hates morning trainings. Having been to Spain a couple of time and get to know the life style of Spanish people, I totally understand Javi may never be a morning person.

Yeah, that is known about Spanish people and others, too, LOL.

evergreen

On the Ice
Javier visit AS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr4JC6xKch0

Javier receives Gold Medal for Sporting Merit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOfxsBqaxNU

Another Fancam of Javi's FS, where you can watch Brain & David cheering for Javi, seeing DW jumping up and down everytime Javi nailed his big element is priceless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKTsanoCG38

Javi's gala performance fancam shows the huge imporvement of his skating & performance quality. TV broadcast does not do him justice, the coverage of ice, the smoothness of the movement and the complete presence on ice is so brillant. Love "love Javi can show us he is also good at "slow" music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVv6eypJshA

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Another news segment about Javi
Not that much new stuff, other than a very cute video of Miki sending her congratulations to Javi about halfway through the video. And Javi saying that one of his weaknesses is Himawari. That she is an amazing kid and they are very fond of each other :biggrin:

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
Another news segment about Javi
Not that much new stuff, other than a very cute video of Miki sending her congratulations to Javi about halfway through the video. And Javi saying that one of his weaknesses is Himawari. That she is an amazing kid and they are very fond of each other :biggrin:

Javi has such a big loving heart. It is great for Himawari growing up with a male figure like Javi in her life.

tureis

On the Ice

Interesting about Javi saying Danny Boy is not his style. On the one hand yes, that's pretty obvious, as he's never done anything like this before. But on the other, I think in a way it was even more of a revelation than his FS in Boston. It was a gorgeous program, beautiful in its purity and restraint, with the commanding display of edges and touch of sensitivity that his upbeat programs don't really allow for.

He should do a competitive program like this, just to show anyone who says he lacks diversity that it's just not true.

I'm wondering if there's anything to be read into the music edit being exactly 2 min 49 sec, or that's just pure coincidence.

evergreen

On the Ice
Interesting about Javi saying Danny Boy is not his style. On the one hand yes, that's pretty obvious, as he's never done anything like this before. But on the other, I think in a way it was even more of a revelation than his FS in Boston. It was a gorgeous program, beautiful in its purity and restraint, with the commanding display of edges and touch of sensitivity that his upbeat programs don't really allow for.

He should do a competitive program like this, just to show anyone who says he lacks diversity that it's just not true.

I'm wondering if there's anything to be read into the music edit being exactly 2 min 49 sec, or that's just pure coincidence.

I totally agree with you re Danny Boy, it is possible that Javi and his team will use the layout for his SP next season, as Kurt Browning mentioned it in 16 worlds' gala.

Highly recommend Javi' s Nothing Else Matters program performed at King on Ice, slow music but unconventional, I felt different sort of emotions fully projected by him, love, lost, & sorrow, he is definitely capable of handling romantic & drama program, with extra character in line with the music, marvelous.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Fernandez has had freeskates of different style: Chaplin, Peter Gunn+Harlem+Nocturne, Barber of Sevilla and now Guys and Dolls. And his sp programs have been a different style from the freeskate, I would say.

I think slow music might be best for him as an exhibition number or maybe even as sp, perhaps. As a freeskate he needs to have music which he feels really, really 100 % comfortable with, because that skate is under such a huuuge pressure, IMO. Generally a music with catching rhythm will create a great atmosphere in the arena as the audience will be clapping their hands along with the music. And the judges are kind of audience, too.

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
A big part of music cut of Charlie Chaplin program is is "slow" but delightful, and Javi's Chaplin is the most adorable, with which he had won Euro Champion & Worlds Bronze Medal.

In my personal opinion, Peter Gunn is the program Javi did not make it his own completely but he tried his best. The music cut is sort of overwhelming, I was not a fan of his both sp & lp for 14' Olympic season, let alone the poor costuming. The entire package was so old-school & unsophisticated :noshake: I know Javi gets along with DW so well, but he needs to bring in fresh ideas, the addition of JB would serve him the best. DW took Sandra Bezic's brilliant idea to come up a bond girl for Yuna Kim's Olympic grogram.

Last edited: