Javier Fernandez | Page 249 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Europosrt.es recorded a podcast with him on the first JFAcacemy event this week. You can listen it here.

They went down memory lane at some point and he got asked of his first ever quad. The answer surprised me completely - I have compiled a list of his quads and this one was not in it and could also not be predicted. Apparently Golden Spin 2007 and a 4S.

The protocols for that competition are not available in any of the databases I have been able to consult. However, the protocols for most of the competitions after that are available, and he did not try a quad again until Cup of Nice fall 2009 and then it was a 4T. He did have a 3S in his programs, but in the second part so that it was not intended as a quad. That 4T from 2009 has been recorded for posterity (enjoy an early version of Pirates also).

E

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi all!

I sent a PM out a few days ago regarding the Video Project. If you are interested in doing Javier (or anyone else), shoot me a PM! :)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
It was nice to Javi skating although the No Words piece was mostly a rehash of old bits and pieces - it was funny watching it and having all those moments of "I have seen this before"...

Today is the anniversary of both the Sochi 2014 FS disaster and the Pyeongchang 2018 SP glory. Olympic Channel posted all of Javi's Olympic performances on YT in January, go watch it today if you have not done so before. Or just go watch it again.

I might have written about this before, but his Olympic seasons were not particularly great. In 2010, he was obviously not a contender, but Morozov's decision to play around with the SP (a different piece of music with slightly altered choreo for EVERY competition) seems a little weird considering the importance of the season. Pirates was an excellent vehicle for Javi, but if it had been combined with a stronger SP, the attention he got at that time might have been more positive and gained him a bit more momentum (and maybe given him confidence in himself and his skating).

The Sochi programs were the weakest set in his years with Orser. Neither program was as catchy as the 2011-2 jazzy SP or as cute as the 2012-3 Chaplin FS. They were bland and boring despite the quirkiness of the SP. However, seeing his face in the K&C when the results come breaks my heart. Luckily, it turned into a good thing!

The Pyeongchang programs were finally some of the best he had, IMO, true gems. And it still amazes me how he managed to transform himself into a completely different skater in those four years.

E

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
A little clip from a speaking gig in Andalucia (mostly skating though) - must have been at the same time the JFAcedemy day in Granada. And look at the state of his boots at the beginning...

E

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Javi debuted as a commentator last night with the pairs - did not watch myself, but saw it mentioned on twitter. ES Spain has not put up any info on the men's SP today, but just in case, this link might provide a possibility to watch it, no guarantees it will work.

Edit: Hielo Espanol thought good of his efforts last night. And Javi is commenting on the SP...

But I think this will work - after the men's SP (if I calculated the time right), Javi will be live on That FS show on YT.

E

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
The link I posted above producded a choppy illegal stream for ES Spain but I managed to catch him for a bit in the men's SP and other comps (it was too choppy to really enjoy)... But he was quite good, I think, technical knowhow, still remembering vividly his competition days and other bits and pieces to create a narrative.

So far I have found two bits posted on YT: from the men's SP Donovan Carrillo and from the FS Nathan Chen. Yuzuru Hanyu from VK.

E

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Congrats, Javi, many happy returns! :love2:

He posted a pic of his first birthday on his IG and the eye, the curls and the eyebrows can be easily recognized... The later one (not quite sure how many candles, 4th?) could be seen on the Magic4U IG.

Hope he has a chance to celebrate the big 3-0 with his loved ones even in this still rather weird world of ours...

E

maturines

Rinkside
Javi was invited to the show "El concurso del año" (The contest of the year). Contestants must guess the age of unknown people and lose money for every year they fail. You can see the complete program here, but it's geoblocked. I captured the segment in which Javi intervened and uploaded it to my google drive. You can download it here.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Thank you so much, maturines. I just saw some pics on Twitter from this program and I just had to fangirl... he's so handsome, so handsome 😍

There's a new interview with Gabriele Frangipani and he mentions Javi as his biggest inspiration!
Q: Did you have a skater that inspired you? Is it the same one today?
A: Yes, since I was little I've always followed and admired Javier Fernandez and even now he's my biggest inspiration.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
The summer camp at Amodio academy is over. It looks like the students as well as the coaches enjoyed it a lot :wink:
Here are some photos. Javi even skated a part of his Black Betty program with the students. That is so cool!

From next season he will help with coaching of Pablo Garcia (Pablo is big Javi fan ;) ) and Marian Millares. They will regularly train with Javi's sister Laura and the rest of the coaches at Valdemoro.

And another coach!Javi opportunity. This time in Ice Lab in Bergamo, for one week in August!

(I'll just add my obligatory crying over Javi (highly probably) not meeting with Donovan and Matteo. When Javi was at Amodiocamp and Donovan was posting IG stories about his travels to Europe I thought it might be it, but instead Donovan went to Benoit Richaud's camp in Courmayer and to get choreography there. And yeah, Matteo is in Egna now, the European Montreal so... )