Javier Fernandez | Page 252 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

xinghui-20

Spectator
new article

Un bronce olímpico, dos títulos mundiales, siete de Europa... El palmarés de Javier Fernández (Madrid, 1991) es de esos que impresiona. Pero lo hace aún más la sencillez y la cercanía que desprende una leyenda sobre el hielo. Eso ayuda en esa labor que lleva haciendo desde hace muchos años, la de dar visibilidad a un deporte casi desconocido en España, con nula tradición y que algunos solo conocen por ponerse unos patines en una pista durante las Navidades. El sábado, Fernández –retirado desde hace tres años– estuvo en la Escuela de Alto Rendimiento Alexmar, en Bezana, para acercarse a ese deporte primo hermano del suyo y compartir con los chavales experiencias y consejos.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Hielo Espanol tweeted that there will be a three-part documentry about Javi and his career broadcasted on rtveplay in January, they don't know the exact dates yet.
Hoping it will be possible to watch from abroad, too :pray:
ETA: Just confirming that with a VPN it should be possible to watch :love2:

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
So, any reactions of HC fans on the documentary? Loved the fact it was made - I mean, a 3-part documentary by the national TV! Fully deserved and fantastic overall!

But was a little disappointed at what the content was in the end. Beforehand I discussed this with my soul-sister in all things fs and especially Javier Fernandez and our expectation was that we would be surprised if it contained things that we did not already know about. And that was the outcome. Most novelty tidbits - like Mikel Garcia as Laura's and his coach during tha Jaca - were in the first 20 minutes of the first episode.

And I am still wondering about the timeline of the late Morozov era breakdown episode... Everything points towards spring 2011. There's not a whole lot info of his whereabouts btw the Europeans in late January and mid-March. At that time, he was with Team Morozov in Japan and stayed there until the earthquake/tsumani - they were in the south and were not really affected. He gets interviewed by Spanish media whilst still in Japan immediately after the quake. Then he apparently goes to Spain and stays there for most of March - again verified by Spanish media in an interview at the time when the Worlds should have been at the end of the month. Another gap until the the Worlds in late April - still in Spain or with Morozov somehow? The 2011 Worlds were his last comp with Morozov and everything seems to be fine by the looks of their comp behaviour (or then they were just faking it pretty successfully). He even gets the first 4S attempt down - would he have done that if he had not felt ok and confident in his skating? On the Canadian side, Adam Rippon leaves Orser in late March and there are news of Javi going to Toronto in early June. Did he know already at the Worlds that Orser and Toronto were a real option?

Argh, I hate it when I can't get the pieces to fit!

E

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
This thread is so silent that it makes me sad but I posted about the documentary in the Edge.
I'm mainly very very happy that it has English subtitles and though Javi's long-term fans know most of the things discussed I appreciated how nicely it was put together. And I loved Tracy Wilson talking about Javi. She literally embodied the heart-eyes emoji.
For me the most interesting and new information was also in the first part. I don't know I've never been thinking too much about Spanish federation, just knew that initially they were quite shocked Javi was leaving to train abroad. But with how small it is, I guess I always assumed it's one happy family. And I've learnt that even there have been some tensions and miscommunication. And I also loved the footage of Javi and Laura skating together now.

It seems that on twitter there are very positive and quite numerous reactions to the documentary.

I have to say the docu really drew me in. In the last part when they were talking about how 2018 Olympics were the last for Javi and how he wanted the medal, I was sitting in front of my computer and was almost not breathing how nervous I was for him; even though it happened five years ago and I know the outcome very well.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Well, I saw it too.
I enjoyed it but it was bittersweet to watch. As you all said, there's nothing new for long time Javi fans, but it was funny to listen to his early coaches describing him as a torture 🤣. It's easy to believe them and even more easy too imagine their emotion watching Javi on the world podiums, no matter what the problems were.
About leaving Morozov, some years ago he tried to explain the story. He had good intentions but I don't think it was a good idea. Don´t get me wrong, I think he said the truth, but the problem was that it was not his story to tell (mainly) and, even in the me too era, saying something like that implies that you need to be prepared for legal consequences. I'm not sure he was.
This time the team decided to forget that part... Maybe someday, in the future, we'll know something more about that.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
He was at my rink yesterday 😅 He’s here in Japan for the ice show and it’s always so cool to see a non Japanese olympian visiting us :)