Jeremy Abbott tweets about this great article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Jeremy Abbott tweets about this great article

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
but I am so sure that if you ask say 100 ordinary people(not people on this forum) which performance is more memorable, Jeremy's or Chan's, more than 70% (conservatively) will answer Jeremy's.

Are you really sure? I think it's the opposit. Only the artistry buffs like many on this forum, and myself included, would truly appreciate Jeremy's skating. The ordinary people would prefer athletics a lot more than artistry. The one who jumps more and jumps higher, with more exciting music, and faster moves will be the winner. So I think the ordinary people would like Patrick Chan more.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
You know what artistry/PCS/presentation, et al, is subjective. What one may see as transcendant/godlike/out-of-this-world/classic/best ever in the history of the sport, another may just see as good, very good. I know for a fact that my favorites are not favorites of others. C'est la vie.

And on that score it's not about the marks, et al, it's about whatever moves you. And Jeremy's Beatles SP honestly gave me the chills/a supernatural feeling when I first viewed it. His LP this year also is a favorite of mine. I just really like his skating and consider him an artist. Furthermore, he's not the only one, I have a long list of favorites, but since this is about Jeremy, I just wanted to add my 2cents as a fan of his. :)

:love:GOOOOOOOOOO JEREMY, ROCK THE HOUSE AT NATIONALS 2011!!!!:love:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Hi Sunnyo76o

I agree!! you know what many people say PCS is very subjective, but I am so sure that if you ask say 100 ordinary people(not people on this forum) which performance is more memorable, Jeremy's or Chan's, more than 70% (conservatively) will answer Jeremy's. You said " for some reasons." , because it is hard to nail it, but it is a fact that Jeremy's program is more memorable due to it's better artistic quality. If the question is " which is more memorable, Takahiko's or Dai's" , probably about 95% will say it is Dai's. So artistic impression. although , many people say it is subjunctive, it is not as a matter of fact subjective when there is significant differences in quality.

However, it is very hard to assess SS among top skaters. Can you really assess quality difference between Dai, Taka, and Chan? SS, I believe, is a reputation score, rather than real difference in skills.

I prefered Patrick's skate to Jeremy's skate. Am I wrong?

If it's objective, than I can be. And if I am, explain to me, using facts, not inferences, not suppositions, but actual rational discourse and facts. If I'm not wrong, then it's subjective, and we have to "rationalize" it according to the rules. Can you do that?

Nadine

Record Breaker
Darn, I'm going to be late! But I just wanted to say "Thanks, ImaginaryPogue" for using the word OBJECTIVE, that's what I meant, not subjective, lol, that's what happens when you're in a rush! :eek: :laugh:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Ah, forget what I just said, it is subjective, meaning existing in your *own* mind. Now I'm really going to be late! YIKES!!!

genki

On the Ice
I prefered Patrick's skate to Jeremy's skate. Am I wrong?

Of course not. I did not say that everybody likes Jeremy's skating better than Chan artistically.
So it is said "subjective."

However the point that I am making is that artistic impression is subjective up to the point.
For example, if you compare Jeremy and Kevin Raynolds, how many percentage of people would say Jeremy's skating is more artistic? I guess I can safely say it will be around 80%. There are always few people who like something that the rest of the people do not like. Example maybe, I still remember one member of this forum said " Mao has a bad posture." or I also saw somebody who said, " Dai can not express music well." Even though most of people do not agree with them, they can not be wrong, because it is their opinion.

You ask me to provide you facts. I guess I can do that if only I can ask maybe 100 ordinary people, or 1000? It is better if you have larger sample size.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
But then you have to go even further. For example, if I asked 100 Canadians who they prefered: Reynolds or Abbott, do you think I'd get the same number if I asked 100 Japanese or 100 Americans?

If we go point by point through the PCS components and the individual bullets, are you still comfortable in presuming that Abbott would come out ahead of Chan 70 times of 100?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Here is an article about Jeremy and 5 other top US men's skaters from Universal Sports:

http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=512731.html#abbott+competition+come

The two-time and defending champion is finally free of the Evan-Johnny show and is the headliner in Greensboro. Abbott certainly wants to win his third National title, but at 25 years old, a world medal may the bigger goal this season. The past two seasons he has failed to build on U.S. title with international hardware. Abbott fell on his first quad toe attempt of the season at the Grand Prix Final. He does not need it to win Nationals, but is well advised to attempt it in order to gain mileage on the jump for Worlds, where it will be a must-have.

The article calls Jeremy - front runner, Adam - artist, Brandon - comeback kid, Dornbush - mystery man, Armin - Avatar, and Ryan - Showman.

Last edited: