Johnny Weir Not Skating this season | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir Not Skating this season

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Thirteen-year-old Naomi Nari Nam did a triple toe in her SP at 1999 U.S. Nationals and carried on like it was a feat never before attempted on the planet (Peggy Fleming commented on the air, "come on now, it's just a triple toe.")

I can't say how skater's reaction effects judges, but I know falls do. I don't understand when I read that falls should cost more than a point. They should ....... and they do.

Look at it this way. Jeffery won 2008 Worlds by 13.95 points. ( without Quad Almighty ) Had he fallen 3 times, does anyone think his score would have been 3 points lower? No, it would have been 20 or 25 points lower.
Sasha fell twice at the Torino Olympics and lost the gold by 7.98 points. Had she NOT fallen, would her score have been 2 points higher? No, it would have been 10 or 15 points higher. I really don't think the official point value of the deduction is relavent. They could deduct only 0.01 point if they wanted. The "unofficial" deduction is much more powerful and important.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's not an "unofficial" deduction, there are -GOE grades on the elements themselves for falls. This coming season those -GOE grades are less impacting, when they need to be MORE impacting.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Johnny will retire. He skated the performances of his life in Vancouver and was placed 6th. It is a great note to go out on, and it is pretty clear World or Olympic medals are not within his reach anymore.