Julia Antipova seriously ill | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Julia Antipova seriously ill

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Saying prayers for continued improvement. This put a huge smile on my face :)

hanca

Record Breaker
Some good news from Julia Antipova! She is steadily gaining weight and is feeling a lot better. She dreams about coming back to figure skating, and does not rule out a switch to Ice Dance.

Full article:
http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/20331.html

She is too old to switch to the dance at this stage. It would be possible if there were no ice dancers at all in her country and therefore she and her partner would be automatically sent to competitions as the only dance couple, but Russia has plenty of junior level ice dancers, on average 3-4 are getting to JGPF every year. Those skaters are doing ice dance from young age. Julia would be a beginner to ice dance. She won't suddenly start beating them in competition, which means that she would not be sent to any international competitions. She has much more chance in pairs, even though there is now quite a few good senior pairs (the standard of Russian senior pairs is higher than last year). In pairs she would compete with Tarasova-Morozov and Astahova-Rogonov (and maybe Bazarova/Deputat if they land jumps) and Zabijako-Larionov (if Zabijako gets release) for a third spot at Europeans/Worlds (if Volosozhar/Trankov are not competing, otherwise all three spots are taken at this moment.) Antipova/Maisuradze were not at the level of beating Stolbova/Klimov or Kavaguti/smirnov or Volosozhar/Trankov, so as long as those three pairs are competing, Antipova won't have a chance.

LisaM

Medalist
She is too old to switch to the dance at this stage. It would be possible if there were no ice dancers at all in her country and therefore she and her partner would be automatically sent to competitions as the only dance couple, but Russia has plenty of junior level ice dancers, on average 3-4 are getting to JGPF every year. Those skaters are doing ice dance from young age. Julia would be a beginner to ice dance. She won't suddenly start beating them in competition, which means that she would not be sent to any international competitions. She has much more chance in pairs, even though there is now quite a few good senior pairs (the standard of Russian senior pairs is higher than last year). In pairs she would compete with Tarasova-Morozov and Astahova-Rogonov (and maybe Bazarova/Deputat if they land jumps) and Zabijako-Larionov (if Zabijako gets release) for a third spot at Europeans/Worlds (if Volosozhar/Trankov are not competing, otherwise all three spots are taken at this moment.) Antipova/Maisuradze were not at the level of beating Stolbova/Klimov or Kavaguti/smirnov or Volosozhar/Trankov, so as long as those three pairs are competing, Antipova won't have a chance.

She never said she wanted to come back to skate for Russia on an international level. She just wants to skate again.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh so said for her partner because I thought he was waiting. I am not familiar with her illness in whether is it possible she ever will be strong enough to do the lifts and jumps? Sure it will be tough to get back on the Russian team but not impossible with K and S possibly near retirement, who knows if V and T will really come back and with the Barbara FP death stare who knows what will happen to S and K. I hope she can come back and skate for herself. Weren't her and her partner 8th at worlds or something like that - not bad at all for debut.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Antipova/Maisuradze were not at the level of beating Stolbova/Klimov or Kavaguti/smirnov or Volosozhar/Trankov, so as long as those three pairs are competing, Antipova won't have a chance.

Really? I mean, everything can happen. Antipova and Maisuradze, if competing this season might have been a genuine chance to fight with Tarasova/Morozov, considering their lifts, twist and spins. Last season their SB was only a bit lower than current SB of T/M. They had almost everything to become champions. Still, you can't know what will happen next season. Were T/M so good a year ago? They weren't. Are K/S consistent? They aren't. There is a chance for every pair at a decent level to qualify, really, particularly after next season's GP circuit.
Of course, the chances of Julia are afflictingly small. However, she's still very young, especially for a pair skater (turning 18 this year) and I believe she has a chance. All in all, didn't Elena Berezhnaya come back?

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Oh so said for her partner because I thought he was waiting. I am not familiar with her illness in whether is it possible she ever will be strong enough to do the lifts and jumps? Sure it will be tough to get back on the Russian team but not impossible with K and S possibly near retirement, who knows if V and T will really come back and with the Barbara FP death stare who knows what will happen to S and K. I hope she can come back and skate for herself. Weren't her and her partner 8th at worlds or something like that - not bad at all for debut.

what do you mean with Barbara FP? I missed the point.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
I am not familiar with her illness in whether is it possible she ever will be strong enough to do the lifts and jumps?
Akiko Suzuki came back better than ever after recovering from her eating disorder. So yes, it's possible.

anyanka

Record Breaker
She never said she wanted to come back to skate for Russia on an international level. She just wants to skate again.

She could be a good professional show skater, there's a market for that in Europe and Asia. Violetta Anafasieva was never Olympic champion but she's carved out a nice career for herself in Canada. When Julia has fully recovered, she could do the same. Best wishes for her on a speedy recovery, and a happy and fulfilling life.

desertskates

Medalist
It doesn't really matter if she comes back at a highly competitive level, what matters is that she and her family and her doctors and nurses fought hard and are saving her life. If she just skates recreationally, that's fine by me. I wish her all the best!

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am very happy to hear this update. While she is still nowhere near a healthy weight she is at least at a survivable one so that is very good news.

I also feel bad for her partner. He has had some rotten luck.

hanca

Record Breaker
I also feel bad for her partner. He has had some rotten luck.

Luck? What is a probability of having two partners getting ill with the same illness? Is it being unlucky? You may start wondering how much he contributed to the cause of the illness.

And after reading today's interview, I am definitely not feeling sorry for him. What a scum! Both Julia and Lubov started skating with him when they were still children. With Lubov one can argue that he was still himself quite young too and it may have been his first time he encountered anorexia, but he should have learned from one experience. With Julia he was already an adult (while she was still a child). If he can't look after his partner, he doesn't deserve to have any!

peg

Medalist
Luck? What is a probability of having two partners getting ill with the same illness? Is it being unlucky? You may start wondering how much he contributed to the cause of the illness.

And after reading today's interview, I am definitely not feeling sorry for him. What a scum! Both Julia and Lubov started skating with him when they were still children. With Lubov one can argue that he was still himself quite young too and it may have been his first time he encountered anorexia, but he should have learned from one experience. With Julia he was already an adult (while she was still a child). If he can't look after his partner, he doesn't deserve to have any!

It certainly sounds like it was an extremely toxic training environment. I didn't realize that Lubov had also had anorexia. I'm so glad she has now found a partner who is a supportive and a strong lifter. Given that he had no problem lifting Kirsten, I'm sure he wouldn't be putting any kind of pressure on her to lose weight. In fact, in Lubov's case, putting on a bit of muscle weight in her legs might help with the SBS jumps. I hope that if Julia decides to skate competitively again, she will find a partner who is more supportive of her.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

But to go as far as to blame him, isn´t that a little to far? What´s does the interview saids to made you feel that way?

Noolan

On the Ice
This blaming business is getting out of hand. Yulya's parent have blamed pretty much everyone - the Federation officials, the doctors in Russia, the coach, now the partner as well. Apparently the only people who aren't responsible are the parents themselves :scratch:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
This blaming business is getting out of hand. Yulya's parent have blamed pretty much everyone - the Federation officials, the doctors in Russia, the coach, now the partner as well. Apparently the only people who aren't responsible are the parents themselves :scratch:
That's the thing, everyone involved should feel reponsible.
Teenage girls can develop eating disorders without any outside influences, so if it is really true, that some people in her close environment were controlling her food intake ... well that would be indeed horrible.
And there's one thing I want to mention: The look of some pairs is very strange ... you see a bulky large male throwing and lifting around a ... child. And I guess the new scoring system influenced that a lot, I mean ... they were doing triple twists two decades ago, but they were smaller. Now the guy has to bring his arms down to shoulder level to get the level and the throw must be really high to get good GOE as well and it only can be really high if the girl is tiny. I don't like it.