Han Yan & Yuzuru Hanyu health updates | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Han Yan & Yuzuru Hanyu health updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

AprilS

On the Ice
Part of the reason some of us are upset about the medal is we see it as frankly dangerous to skaters. The precedent has now been set that pain gets you points. That sucks. I don't want others to skate when they should not because "Hanyu still medaled" I don't want other skaters to feel pressured to compete because of this. Some of care about the health of more than just these two skaters.

I also don't like the fact that because they gave him a medal, he is probably more likely to compete in NHK in the hope of making the GPF. I would rather he take time off, rest, recover, heal, get well, than worry about making the GPF. Frankly I think that damn silver is likely to adversely affect the well being of the skater. I don't like that now his health is likely being framed in "can he compete" rather than "get well" I would rather him not have much of a shot at the GPF so he is more likely to not be tempted to push himself. It is not just competing, but training to compete. As weird as it sounds I really do believe that his placement likely is going to be a factor on his decisions and the healing process. I think he would be better off only worrying about nationals. Now, his health has to be weight against "is it worth the risk to make the final?" If he had little to no chance of making the final, that risk would not be worth it. In some ways that stupid silver is a complication to his healing process.

And yet this is a thread specifically for health UPDATES, not health debates. There is another thread for that. Please take it there.

p.s. I do think you have some really good points and would have appreciated them... had they not been in THIS particular thread.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Are some of you also in the habit of going to a bank and then ask for a burger with fries? The problem is not what you want, the problem is that you are in the wrong place for it. Nobody says that you can't state your opinion, they just ask you to do it somewhere else. Like hey, how about this thread for instance, it's called Han&Yuzuru collision, skate, results, & drama. Seems like a good place to start.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
And yet this is a thread specifically for health UPDATES, not health debates. There is another thread for that. Please take it there.

p.s. I do think you have some really good points and would have appreciated them... had they not been in THIS particular thread.

I guess I see whether or not he skates at NHK as being very integral to his health status. Perhaps too much so.

At any rate I just wanted to toss out that some of us see things differently. I do appreciated what you all are trying to do here, but I also think my opinion of what is health related is a bit broader than some.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Indeed it should. I don't know when NHK is, next week? He really needs to be off for a week, or just no jumps and spins. How unfortunate, I really like his skating, but no, I won't support his skating if it could potentially affect his future, not just as a skater but as a person. Look at Ali, he's toast. We don't need more role models like that who are practically dementia in their 60s. REST. Recover. Don't be a hero. It's the first year out of Olys, don't risk it. IMHO

It's three weeks away.

This was so scary. I went to sleep right after Yulia's FS and did not hear about the accident until the next day. I was surprised they skated at all. I hope they are both doing well.

Edit: Just finished reading the rest of the thread. I'm glad they have no brain injuries and will be alright.

Bonesfan

On the Ice
First time I've laughed since the the collision incident.

Are some of you also in the habit of going to a bank and then ask for a burger with fries? The problem is not what you want, the problem is that you are in the wrong place for it. Nobody says that you can't state your opinion, they just ask you to do it somewhere else. Like hey, how about this thread for instance, it's called Han&Yuzuru collision, skate, results, & drama. Seems like a good place to start.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Between this and your Sleepy-Hollow post on the "Adelina withdraws from CoR" thread, would you consider accepting the title "Resident Wit of GoldenSkate"? :)

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Between this and your Sleepy-Hollow post on the "Adelina withdraws from CoR" thread, would you consider accepting the title "Resident Wit of GoldenSkate"? :)
well now you're just trying to make me blush :biggrin:

I'm glad if I could help out with a smile, but I'm actually trying not to clutter this thread completely so I'll just rein in my wits for the time being ;)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I really appreciate your well-thought out post StitchMonkey. I'd love to respond to it in the proper thread though, which I know you have posted in previously. This is a perfect example of what belongs in the other thread.

Part of the reason some of us are upset about the medal is we see it as frankly dangerous to skaters. The precedent has now been set that pain gets you points. That sucks. I don't want others to skate when they should not because "Hanyu still medaled" I don't want other skaters to feel pressured to compete because of this. Some of care about the health of more than just these two skaters.

I also don't like the fact that because they gave him a medal, he is probably more likely to compete in NHK in the hope of making the GPF. I would rather he take time off, rest, recover, heal, get well, than worry about making the GPF. Frankly I think that damn silver is likely to adversely affect the well being of the skater. I don't like that now his health is likely being framed in "can he compete" rather than "get well" I would rather him not have much of a shot at the GPF so he is more likely to not be tempted to push himself. It is not just competing, but training to compete. As weird as it sounds I really do believe that his placement likely is going to be a factor on his decisions and the healing process. I think he would be better off only worrying about nationals. Now, his health has to be weight against "is it worth the risk to make the final?" If he had little to no chance of making the final, that risk would not be worth it. In some ways that stupid silver is a complication to his healing process.

Now I am sorry if any of my post sounds rude, but so many users on this forum are really frustrating me.

The point of this thread was for people to be updated on their health without the clutter of other comments. It's a place for fs fans in general to be able to easily read about their health, yet there are so many posts that are derailing the topic. Thus, I made a thread you could freely clog up and run rampant on with debating with how you think it should have been handled, what repercussions should take place in the future, etc., and it gets frequently linked to within this thread. Yet you don't have enough respect for a place that is meant to discuss the current health of these two young adults' lives, you blatantly ignore the subject of the thread, ignore the additional thread that exists where ANYTHING about the incident can be discussed, and you continue to insist on posting here. It is disrespectful.

Let's say this were a local event, perhaps two college athletes got injured during the local college football game. Let's say there's a link handed around (perhaps to the college fb page or something like this) that people can turn to explicitly for updates on the two's health ONLY, but members of the local community keep INSISTING on clogging up the webpage with their OPINIONS on the what, why, & how of incident. Can you not see how that is uncalled for? How it is disrespectful to the people that WANT to use whatever medium to discuss their well-being? And if there were a separate page made to discuss the politics of the accident but you don't want to

You know, some of you have taken this on as a personal project. If I have 2 thoughts on the same matter I'm not going to cruise all over the board to post them.

and bother venting your own personal thoughts in a designated place? Can you not understand why your posts are taken badly? It is not because of what they contain, it is because of WHERE THEY ARE.

This is a 16 page thread so far and many of the posts are simply policing the thread!!!

And what does that TELL you????????????????????????????????????????????

There are subjects everywhere where the lines are crossed. Why is it so important to you?

Because it goes against- 1) why the the health thread was made (so concerned users could easily find updates on the two young men), 2) blatantly ignores the other thread which also has a subject & purpose. And cruzceleste,

This thread was created because people wanted to know about the health of two skater, regarless of how they performed with out drama and debate about points.

you are 100.00% right in thinking this! But this

At this point I think people like you care more about a medal than the well being of the skater. And that´s whats botters me.

is absolutely false. If you go to the other thread (which is located in such LARGE font in the first post) you will see that MANY of the posters of THIS thread have taken active part in the OTHER thread.

I hate to say this, but there is another figure skating forum I also have an account on which I barely ever visit because in comparison GS has always been a much more efficient, intelligent, well-managed place, but the behavior shown in this thread is reminding me very much of that other forum. You may not care about me having this opinion, but to me this is very disappointing.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Chill girl.... should I be worried about your health too? ;) oh the dramaaaa never ends...

anyways does that mean he is out of NHK means no GPF? Samurai spirit is strong with this one. Crazy amount of wounds...get well soon.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
This thread has run its course.
Thankfully, neither Han Yan or Yuzuru Hanyu have concussions. :)
Let's hope that there are no lingering side-effects that some R&R won't take care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.