Junior Worlds: Ladies' Free Skate | Golden Skate

Junior Worlds: Ladies' Free Skate

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kamila Valieva of Russia maintained her lead after the Short Program to capture the Ladies’ title on Saturday in Tallinn, Estonia. Teammate Daria Usacheva rose from third to pocket the silver, while USA’s Alysa Liu took the bronze.

Valieva gave a brilliant skate to “Exogenesis Symphony,” which featured a quad toe-double toe and six solid triple jumps, including a triple Lutz-triple toe. The only error in her routine came when she stepped out of her opening quad toe. All spins and footwork received a level 4 along with positive grades of execution (GOE). The extraordinary change combination spin alone was awarded eight +5 GOE out of the nine judges. The ISU Junior Grand Prix Final Champion earned a new personal best of 152.38 for first in the Free Skate and overall (227.30).

“There was a little mistake on the toe loop, but basically I am pleased with my performance,” said the Russian junior champion. “This was my first Junior Worlds. No matter what condition I am in, I have to come here and do everything I can do like in training—even if not everything works in practice.”

More...

What an exciting event!

What are your thoughts on the competition? Who and what stood out for you and why? Who are you excited about seeing next season?

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
What an exciting event!

What are your thoughts on the competition? Who and what stood out for you and why? Who are you excited about seeing next season?

Oh, it was so beautiful!

Most of all I was happy that Schumacher skated so well in this competition!

I don’t think I saw Ramashova before, and she was a wonderful new face for me.

I expected Kurakova to be charming and she was, though by whatever reason my mom doesn’t like her. Heh.

Liu is so much joy and happiness! I can’t wait to see her again next year.

Of the two Korean stars, I like Wi more than Lee in the free, but they are both a bit similar to me, and charming. Just a bit bland maybe, as yet. And a bit is a very tiny bit. Same pretty much for Khromykh.

Valieva has depth to explore for years to come, I hope. I loved Usacheva too, but Valieva is just magic.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Maia Khromykh was robbed shamelessly of bronze medal. Her PCS and jumps GOEs should be much higher than Liu's - because Maia has much, much, much better skating skills, transitions, speed and ice coverage, balletic grace and elegance, much better height and flow from and to jumps. However, if you look in protocols - you can see that their scores are absolutely reversed - making it so like Alysa was better in everything :unsure: That, combined with ignored UR for Alysa's 3A in the short -would make enough difference to change placements. It's a complete disgrace for the sport when talented skater, its hard work and great qualities are not recognized in favor of less talented/trained but more reputable ones. Moreover, it makes fs fans to doubt and twist their perceptions of what good skating qualities are - thus raising and educating generations of fans with very poor taste. But what can we do? It's clear that they would never allowed Eteri's podium sweep and it was judges politicking. Else it would be too humiliating to the international sport image, probably - when even relatively unknown 3rd number of junior Russian team can't be win over by best of the best from other world :confused2:
Daria Usacheva was maturity incarnate. When they talk about raising the age - which is the latest trend nowadays - and makes usual arguments about lack of "maturity" in young skaters - show them this performance ;) It's hard to believe that she is only 13 - but we have what we have. And by raising the age we deny casual public (who doesn't watch juniors) really great performances of such skaters with very high chance to never see them at all. And if Usacheva was at Euro - she would bested Paganini as well..
Tbh, I think her PCS should be higher than Valieva's - but Valieva's quads and spins gives her indirect PCS bonus, it seems. Still, Valieva was the most balanced skater in the competition - because she combines both high TES and PCS qualities. "Whole package" in the making - potentially much stronger after two years than any from current Eteri's senior champions trio.
Japanese skaters were very good in skating skills. Alas, it was the only thing worthy to praise today. Korean skaters were clean, mostly. It's hard for me to remember their programs well, unfortunately. That's the issue I have with them - they lacks interpretation and passion, have very mechanical, robotic-like way of skating - and even if clean - they don't leave any lasting impression. It's my personal opinion - I don't force it on anyone.
Kurakova was pleasant to watch as always. Honorary mention to Romashova - she was little star today! It's interesting to see that Urmanov's pupil at last can show some results - even without expensive toe jumps. She should be at least in top 10 IMO - if not usual reputational judging. Still, for a new skater with low tech content it's a miracle scores :thumbsup:
All in all it was great event. I was afraid that usual TP shenanigans is gonna spoil the fan again - but this time it seems ISU tech team had proper educational talk with controllers before the event :biggrin: Nevertheless, caller's mislabeling Maia's 4S or forgetting to input last Usacheva's spin makes me wonder how exactly competent they were to begin with.

P.S.: I forgot to mention that I liked Liu's performance too. I swear )) She is great skater - but she is praised too much and too fast - pushing her higher than what she is showing now. Also she had beautiful dress and smile :)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's a complete disgrace for the sport when talented skater, its hard work and great qualities are not recognized in favor of less talented/trained but more reputable ones.
I'm sure RusFed will be leading the charge to crack down on reputation judging any day now.:laugh:

Anyway:

- good job by the skaters on the podium.
- I was pretty devastated for Lee Hae-in; so, so close, but it wasn't to be today. But three spots for Korea, together with Wi's terrific skate.
- Japanese ladies...:sad21:
- going in the free I was worried that Alison would place well enough that we'd have kept the second spot if Kaiya had made the free, but not enough to keep it since she didn't, which I'm sure would have been a big disappointment for both of them; but that didn't happen, and Alison had maybe her best event ever. I still don't understand her team giving her a weepy ballad program like this, that just highlights her weaknesses.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Want to give a shout out to Daria for putting together her best skate of the season when she needed it the most! Very sad for Haein and the Japanese ladies - it was not their day. Also Shabotova was such a promising skater, but jumping disaster today aside, that program does her no favors. What were they thinking?

Overall, I agree with the placements, although some of the scores and GOEs I’m not so sure about. I love Kamila and she undoubtedly deserved to win, but I don’t agree with the 3 point PCS gap over Daria or some of the GOE on her flip/lutz jumps. The spins do deserve all the +5s she gets for sure, though. Also, suddenly Daria is receiving a ! on her flip when it’s her lutz which has a suspect edge? A bit strange, but I’ll have to rewatch to see if her technique has changed (maybe they’re working on the lutz and it’s affecting the flip?) to me on the replay of her lutz combo that edge looked suspect, not the flip. Oh well.

Finally, I hope Alysa ditches the 4Lz and focuses on her 3As and speed/ice coverage going into and out of her elements. She’s really losing out on GOEs compared to Kamila and Daria, which can be seen by Daria beating her without a single ultra-c element. Her spins and overall projection have improved a lot, but most of her jumps look barely eeked out and are landed at a standstill. This is super obvious when she’s skating in the same group as the top junior ladies - especially Maiia who carries so much speed and distance on her 3Lz3T combo (I do think Maiia looks a bit awkward in the air and doesn’t have full control of her limbs while jumping, which is strange because she has some of the nicest arm and hand movements during choreography and step sequences, but that’s another point entirely).

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I was really impressed by Seoyeong and Daria. I thought that both of their programs suited them well.
The podium looks good to me, it's quite exciting to know that all 3 of them will still be competing in juniors next season as well, so I'm looking forward to watching them grow as skaters.

Shani

On the Ice
I thought this was an amazing competition and well judged. Sadly for the long term of figure skating Kamila will have to defend her position amidst great pressure but she earned that title today, WOW. Liu is such a competitor and so pragmatic on her own strengths and weaknesses. Kudos to her for putting out the quad attempt and not playing it safe, and knowing where she has to improve on speed etc. And kudos to Daria for skating last and putting out perfection without the quad or triple axle arsenal. She earned that medal.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Want to give a shout out to Daria for putting together her best skate of the season when she needed it the most! Very sad for Haein and the Japanese ladies - it was not their day. Also Shabotova was such a promising skater, but jumping disaster today aside, that program does her no favors. What were they thinking?

Overall, I agree with the placements, although some of the scores and GOEs I’m not so sure about. I love Kamila and she undoubtedly deserved to win, but I don’t agree with the 3 point PCS gap over Daria or some of the GOE on her flip/lutz jumps. The spins do deserve all the +5s she gets for sure, though. Also, suddenly Daria is receiving a ! on her flip when it’s her lutz which has a suspect edge? A bit strange, but I’ll have to rewatch to see if her technique has changed (maybe they’re working on the lutz and it’s affecting the flip?) to me on the replay of her lutz combo that edge looked suspect, not the flip. Oh well.

Finally, I hope Alysa ditches the 4Lz and focuses on her 3As and speed/ice coverage going into and out of her elements. She’s really losing out on GOEs compared to Kamila and Daria, which can be seen by Daria beating her without a single ultra-c element. Her spins and overall projection have improved a lot, but most of her jumps look barely eeked out and are landed at a standstill. This is super obvious when she’s skating in the same group as the top junior ladies - especially Maiia who carries so much speed and distance on her 3Lz3T combo (I do think Maiia looks a bit awkward in the air and doesn’t have full control of her limbs while jumping, which is strange because she has some of the nicest arm and hand movements during choreography and step sequences, but that’s another point entirely).

I expected so much more for Alysa. I found her jumps also kind eeked out - not much amplitude. I actually would have had Malia ahead of Alysa but I don't thik the judges woudl want a Russian sweep. I am still thinking though that there is another good russian junior who Malia replaced Regardless russian looked amazing - and none of these girls are senior eligible I believe.

Valieva if she can control puberty might be the next oly threat. Daria will need a 3A or quad I guess. I was kind of surprised about Lee Haen - I expeced more.

Lovechihuahua

Match Penalty
Kamilia is obviously at the level of her own.
Alysa Liu got higher PCS than Maiia is rediculous.
Sorry for the japanese ladies.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I really enjoyed watching this competition, so much beautiful skating!

My thoughts:
Kamila - beautiful performance. Her technical ability is impressive in such a soft way, in that it doesn't look like an effort to perform even the difficult jumps. Highlight of the program for me was her speed into her 3Lz+3T which was so perfectly timed with rise of the vocals in music.
Daria - skated to such big music and delivered a mature, dramatic and poised performance, under quite a bit of pressure. Well deserved Silver medalist!
Alysa - she has improved a lot since I first watched her at 2019 US Nationals. Her speed and presentation do still need work, but she's got time to do that, and clearly has already worked really hard to improve in all areas of her skating. I look forward to seeing her continue to improve. In the free, I liked that she didn't allow herself to be phased by fall, in either delivering the rest of her technical elements or in her presentation, also she always looks like she's enjoying skating, which is nice.
Maiia - had such an elegant and smooth program, it felt like she didn't rush, but let the program take its time (in a good way!). Good for her for going for the 4S, hopefully she'll soon have it landed cleanly.
Seoyeong - a beautiful, gentle performance and I loved the wonderful flower crown she was wearing in the Kiss and Cry. Nice to see her in the top 6, I enjoyed her performances on the JGP all season.
Haein - such a shame about the fall, but she did win the small silver for the short, which is a great achievement. She has a fantastic step sequence which really captured the music. It was nice to hear a different bit of Riverdance used in such a lovely program.

Outside of the top 6, I really enjoyed:
Milana Ramashova (Belarus) - had a delightful performance, with clean jumps and brew away her PB by 20 points. I look forward to seeing her on the JGP next season.
Ekaterina Kurakova (Poland) - her infectious energy and smile lit up the rink, she had such lovely skating and no URs!

katymay

Medalist
If Kamila can stay uninjured I think she will win the Olympics. )Then again, once upon a time, I thought a 14 year old Wakaba would go on to win the Olympics.) Anything can happen in the next few years.

It is interesting to see the evolution of the sport, and many of those in the top ten (top 15 maybe)will come back next year with triple axels and quads. For the past 3 years, the Russian girls have shown what is possible, I am already seeing others catch up in tech content, program content.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I expected so much more for Alysa. I found her jumps also kind eeked out - not much amplitude. I actually would have had Malia ahead of Alysa but I don't thik the judges woudl want a Russian sweep. I am still thinking though that there is another good russian junior who Malia replaced Regardless russian looked amazing - and none of these girls are senior eligible I believe.

Valieva if she can control puberty might be the next oly threat. Daria will need a 3A or quad I guess. I was kind of surprised about Lee Haen - I expeced more.

We have become so jaded about (junior) ladies skating when so much more is expected of a 14 year old with 2 3As (one clean per the judging system) and 2 3-lutz- triple combos and a 3 flip all in the second half of the program.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Judges don't care if a country sweeps. Russian Ladies swept both Jr Worlds in 2013-14 and the US ladies did the same thing in 2007-8.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One thing about the Russian girls: their music is often inappropriate for their age. Why is a 13-yo skating to "Please Don't Make Me Love You" or "Je Suis Malade". One would certainly hope that a girl that young has not had the life experiences to even begin to understand what those songs mean, much less 'interpret' them.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
One thing about the Russian girls: their music is often inappropriate for their age. Why is a 13-yo skating to "Please Don't Make Me Love You" or "Je Suis Malade". One would certainly hope that a girl that young has not had the life experiences to even begin to understand what those songs mean, much less 'interpret' them.

Should an actor playing a murderer - committed the real murder in his life? Should child violin genius playing Vivaldi masterpieces - have composer's life experience - to be able to enjoy that performance? Should any skater/dancer performing "Big Spender" routine - have worked in a brothel? Just couple of rhetorical questions :rolleye:

dancelion21

On the Ice
I agree that the music is inappropriate, not because I don't think the girls can't interpret it properly, but because it's about prostitution and generally inappropriate for such young girls. It's just a little uncomfortable to watch to me.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
It's just cultural (over) sensitivity?

Isn't rape-'n-rob rap very popular with white kids from the affluent middle classes, the kids whose parents can afford figure skating? Bring it on the ice.

It's nothing but a song, well sung by the artist, and Dar'ya knows its meaning doesn't apply to her. She likes the music, understands the words. Feels the emotion.

The choreography captures the emotion of the song perfectly and Dar'ya lets her heart sing in her skating.

I'd rather see a young but capable skater seriously performing a beautiful song with a mature theme and than a 17 year old skating portraying a giddy little girl without any meaning.

But to each his/her own of course, otherwise it would all be very bland.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Should an actor playing a murderer - committed the real murder in his life? Should child violin genius playing Vivaldi masterpieces - have composer's life experience - to be able to enjoy that performance? Should any skater/dancer performing "Big Spender" routine - have worked in a brothel? Just couple of rhetorical questions :rolleye:

Neither the actor playing a murderer or a child virtuoso playing Vivaldi has anything in common with a 13-yo skating to music with lyrics saying "please don't make me love you, please don't make me want you". To me those words seem like a response to an adult 'grooming' the child for sexual abuse. Or maybe a response to having received salacious pictures on her phone....

As for Big Spender I'd put it in the same category as My Heart Belongs to Daddy ---it's just plain icky, and the younger the skater, the ickier.

bytheriver

On the Ice
We have become so jaded about (junior) ladies skating when so much more is expected of a 14 year old with 2 3As (one clean per the judging system) and 2 3-lutz- triple combos and a 3 flip all in the second half of the program.

This is the result of overhyping a skater to high heaven - people setting the expectation that Alysa was unbeatable if she completed her planned content, when as we saw here, even if she had no unders and landed the 4Lz, Kamila would have still won by 10-15 points.

I really wish we would stop crowning these kids as the next Olympic gold medal threat so early. The kid hasn’t even hit puberty yet and was so hyped up by her fed, the media, and fans that she was nearly in tears after the short. When you act like someone is an Olympic medal lock, 3rd place at junior worlds seems like a disappointment, and 2 3A’s and 1 4Lz seem like nothing (because what’s the point unless you win, right?).

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
I thought all the ladies did amazing in the free skate! Daria was my favorite, but I also thoroughly enjoyed Kamila, Alysa, Haein, Seoyeong and Mana. Daria really had the full package, good jumps (bad lutz edge but we can't have perfection), great spins, so much emotion and maturity and good skating skills and transitions, her choreography wasn't horrible either. Kamila's FS is a bit of a weird program, as Kamila is great, but the choreography is not. Gutted that Haein didn't skate clean here, since she could've made it on the podium, but fifth isn't bad too! Her step sequence was the highlight of the competition honestly. Mana's skating skills never fail to amaze me! Such power, speed and control, even at such a young age! She wasn't at her best this competition, but I can already see how classically trained and conditioned she is, which makes me really excited to see how she grows.