Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just updated their OP. Not only are there now links to their competitions and galas from this year, there are four interviews that I had not seen previously.

October 2016 -"We're Focusing On the Basics" on icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/...-on-the-basics

Aug. 2016 - "Hawayek and Baker Bring a Fresh Inspiration" on ice-dance.com
http://www.ice-dance.com/site/hawaye...h-inspiration/

Sep. 2015 Q&A
http://www.figureskating-online.com/hawayek-baker.html

2014 The Skating Lesson interview, 58 minutes long, on vimeo
http://www.theskatinglesson.com/the-...jean-luc-baker

And if you are a new Fan, you should not miss this:

Kaitlin and Jean-Luc lip sync to My Humps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXz0P7jA1VM

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I wouldn't say that H/D are overrated. They actually have had at least two programs that will, I think, stand the test of time: their Queen FD (Z/G's is a very poor retread of it) and last year's SD to kd lang's version of Hallelujah. The problem is they aren't quite so great that they can transcend subpar choreography. They're really at the mercy of their programs. And I agree that their programs this year are subpar: the SD is a mess and the FD is boring.

Honestly, at least this year I would be much happier if H/B move up to third in the US. It probably won't happen...but it should.

:)

I agree to the bolded - whereas Hawayek/Baker both programs are very complimentary to their 'natural' skating abilities (SD - it's quite well balanced between this sophisticated ballroom blues feel which is their thing and freshness of hip-hop, accentuating their energy and youth; FD - it's all about their skill, connection and quiet quality of their skating mixed with loud impact of their presentation/interpretation), Hubbell/Donahue programs are pointing their imperfections and don't do them any favours in my opinion, especially SD.

Long story short - for me Hawayek/Baker went 10 steps forward with their programs this year to 5 steps back done by Hubbell/Donahue.

Congrats to Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc - for me the biggest impact done by program at NHK (FD) and the most re-watched one for me (along with Tessa and Scott SD)!

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I wouldn't say that H/D are overrated. They actually have had at least two programs that will, I think, stand the test of time: their Queen FD (Z/G's is a very poor retread of it) and last year's SD to kd lang's version of Hallelujah. The problem is they aren't quite so great that they can transcend subpar choreography. They're really at the mercy of their programs. And I agree that their programs this year are subpar: the SD is a mess and the FD is boring.

Honestly, at least this year I would be much happier if H/B move up to third in the US. It probably won't happen...but it should.

:)

This team has been such a revelation for me this season. Good time for me to have rediscovered ice dance, which I directly attribute to watching the Shibs FD last season at SC, lol! One reason I stopped being interested in ice dance is that team placements in competitions were so predictable it was boring. There's a little less of that now, with some jostling of placements among the top three to five internationally and top three nationally (speaking of the U.S. at least). But compared to the other disciplines, scores still seem more predictably based on reputation/standing, and it still seems harder than in the other disciplines to break through to that top tier without "waiting your turn" (P/C being an exception in how fast they rose). And in the U.S., the field is exceptionally crowded at the top, which is terrific, but it makes me wonder about the chances of Kaitlyn and Jean Luc's breakthrough anytime soon, especially w teams in dance staying in longer, coming back, etc. All this said, even though I know the odds are completely against then making the podium at Nationals, I still hope it happens. Who knows, no one expected the Shibs to beat C/B at Nationals last season. Lol, when C/B beat the Shibs at the GPF despite their twizzle mistake I almost stopped watching ice dance again. It's a good thing I didn't because I would've missed out on H/B this season! I do love the Shibs programs this season, and I think H/D have fantastic chemistry and skating skills, I just want H/B to be on the podium with them!

slider11

Medalist
Silver medal at the Golden Spin for Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc with a 107 in the FD! Anyone have a link to the video?

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I know this is a long shot, but wishing Kaitlin and Jean-Luc a top three podium placement at Nationals this week! Placement aside though, I hope they have two spectacular performances. Go Kaitlin and Jean-Luc!:cheer:

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I also know that with HD this is a long shot, but Kaitlin and Jean-Luc are just better skaters...period... and I love their style and programs this year, so cheers to hoping for 3rd place at Nationals!

slider11

Medalist
Well, how sad were Nationals for this team? What a disaster! But....USFSA has just made them first alternate to 4CC and Worlds even with their fifth place finish. The fall on the slide in the midst of the twizzles was definitely a fluke. And their ability to continue on strongly after that is to their credit....until the ending lift. Honestly I think Kaitlyn just froze during the rotation of the lift and her weight took them both down. Jean-Luc is an incredible male ice dancer. I think Kaitlyn has much potential and they are melding nicely. I think more work on lifts and creative ways to accommodate them with the similarity in their size will be important. Chalk this up to a bad day at the office and move on. I'm glad the US team is still behind them.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm also heartened that they are first alternates to both Worlds and 4CCs... I really wasn't sure after that skate. I hope they'll be able to come back strong next year. It's really such a pity because the FD when skated well is a masterpiece.

Marta25

Medalist
It`s a pity the USFSA is never sending skaters to the Winter Universiade. It`s not as important as 4cc and Worlds, but it would be another opportunity to skate infront of international judges. OTOH they can start their preparation for the Olympic season. While it will be very difficult to get one of the Olympic spots, they have the chance to get to 4cc and with the Parsons and M/C moving up, even that qualification is going to be very competitive.

Arriba627

TAKE ME TO SHOMPÉRY!
Record Breaker
Country
Mars
My heart went out to this team with the difficulties they had in their FD. But I love their fighting spirit! Today at the Friends of Figure Skating breakfast Jean Luc spoke about how it just wasn't their day, and in the spirit of the USFSA's "Get Up" campaign, they just have to get up and keep on keepin' on. Very classy remarks in the face of such a huge disappointment...Much respect! :console: :ghug:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I feel so much for them, especially Kaitlyn who was visibly tense and nervous after that ridiculous fluke slide on the twizzles...NHK gave me hope they'll build on that magic and even advance on 3rd place at Nationals, but life told another story in the weekend...I'm just glad that there was no serious injury happening there, especially looking at this catastrophe on last lift, because it could end quite badly (in physical sense). Just wish they won't be beating themselves too hard for that and take it as another lesson to be learned. I am sure they will work hard, train even harder and re-focus on next season, hope they'll bounce back with some great material!

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm wondering if there is other competition they can go this season? I really love their FD

I think there is one more B that some skaters (Caroline Z and Vincent Z) are being sent to to try to obtain Worlds minimums as alternates, but I don't think there is any chance H/B will be sent :(

I know it's a long shot but I actually wouldn't mind if they keep the FD next year, and I almost never say that. I don't feel we've really gotten to see it performed enough.

katha

On the Ice
I wouldn't mind if they kept their FD. IMO it was a real breakthrough for them, it's beautiful choreography and it's never been performed to its fullest potential.

slider11

Medalist
I wouldn't mind if they kept their FD. IMO it was a real breakthrough for them, it's beautiful choreography and it's never been performed to its fullest potential.

I agree that they should keep that FD> It's beautiful and has not seen it's full potential.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States

I wouldn't mind either. I could watch that FS a zillion times. :love: Though they could come up w something even more wonderful that I could watch two zillion times! :laugh: I haven't followed ID closely enough in recent years to know if teams have been successful w repeated programs.