Kazuki Tomono | Page 119 | Golden Skate

Kazuki Tomono

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Part 2

--Is there any part of your choreography or expression that you have revised for performing again this season?
K: This time, I focused on the uninterrupted flow until the end. From beginning to end, I skated all the way, which I couldn't do before. I think I've been able to show my own skating, which I haven't done before.
--Tomono senshu's personality is more expressed than before.
K: I've been able to show my own skating, so I think I've been able to make it my own, in collaboration with Misha in choreography.
--Do you have your own ideas in it?
K: I requested him, "I've been practicing skating very hard, so I want to create a flow. I guess it was Misha's idea as well. I think the program incorporates both of our thoughts.
--How was it to brush up the choreography remotely?
K: Since I experienced last year that communication is more difficult than face-to-face choreography, I didn't want to compromise this time and had the lesson online after thorough discussion. So this time, I had no problems, and I think I was able to make good short and free programs.
--What exactly was the procedure for Misha's remote choreography?
K: First of all, Misha sent me a video of the choreography in the first half, middle, and second half, and then I practiced it and then adjusted the details online. I would tell Misha what I felt was a little difficult to do or what I wanted to do, and Misha would respond to it. I was also able to understand his pace, so it went very smoothly.
--Did you do the same for the free skate? What did Misha say when you told him you wanted to skate to "La La Land"?
K: "It's perfect for you! It's a song just for you!” That's what he said. Originally, Misha had uploaded a video of "La La Land" that he had choreographed himself on his Instagram, and when I saw it, I thought, "He can do this kind of choreography! I want to skate to 'La La Land'." When I told Misha that, he was very happy.
--Since then, many skaters have skated to "La La Land." What kind of feelings have you had for this song?
K: Well, I had wanted to do it for a long time, and I thought that now would be the right time. This is the Olympic season, and I thought it was the most appropriate time to express this song in my own way. Up to the middle of the program, there are a lot of jazz parts, and the atmosphere is stylish and mature, but at the end, my personality is on full display, which I think is the best part of this program. I think that's what I like about this program.
--It was very exciting at the ice show.
K: I was confident that I would absolutely do well, and that there was no way it wouldn't suit me. I thought it was my ideal program, so I was happy to feel the audience's reaction at the ice show, and it gave me more confidence. I've had a strong desire to skate to "La La Land" for years and to complete it as my own program. That's how much I like it, and I think it's a better program than anyone else's. I hope the audience and the judges will be able to see this through my performance.

- to be cont'd -

Last edited:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Last Part:

--How are your jumps now, how do you feel, and what are you working on?
K: As for the quality of my jumps, they are getting higher and wider, compared to last season. Particularly, I've been able to jump the 4T so well that I feel the quality of it in myself, and I've gained confidence that my jumps are getting better in general. Now, I think things will change a lot, if I can nail the second 4S, so I'd like to make sure that I don't pop any jumps and that I can jump well in the program, and that I can get positive GOEs on them.
--What are your planned jump layouts this season?
K: The short program will be the same as before, 4T-3T, and 4S. For the free, I think there will be three quads in the first half and 3F, 3A, 3A, lutz, and then combination jumps.
--How are your jumps coming along in the program?
K: The first half is the most difficult part, because I have to do three quads. But if I put them in the second half, it will be more difficult, so I think they will be more stable if I put the quads in the first half so that I can concentrate on them.
--The Grand Prix Series will be held soon, and how do you feel about the Cup of China (*After the interview, it was decided to be held in Italy instead) and the Cup of Russia?
K: This season I want to make it to the Grand Prix Final. I don't know how much overseas skaters have improved, but I think it will be a battle of perfection in the end, so if I aim for a stable performance, I think the result will come naturally.
--So, what are your goals for this season?
K: The most important thing is to make the podium at the Japanese Nationals and to participate in the Olympics. Also, I would like to become a skater who can not only participate in the Olympics, but also achieve good results. In Japan, there are top three skaters. I have no choice but to keep up with them, and I will not give up until the end, and my goal for this season is to perform as well as I can, and show my best skate ever.
--What will be your greatest weapon in this season's competition?
K: I think my strength will be to convey the beauty of figure skating, and to give a performance that will leave a lasting impression on the audience. I think I have the power to convey something more than others, so I'd like to hit my jumps and to make my performance impressive.

- the end -

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Thank you @rRainbow

It's good to see Kazuki so confident despite the pressure from Yuma and Shun :clap:
I have positive feelings for this new season

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Thank you for the translations!
I wonder if Kazuki wants to start doing something unrelated to skating, to take his mind off it. It has been suggested by some others as a good strategy, and while one shoe doesn't necessarily fit all, it would be fun to see Kazuki become a ramen-centric Youtuber or something like that :p
I also feel his skating skills have improved, and he's still very fast.
Also, he's spot on about the last part of LLL standing out the most. It's very 'Kazuki' I'd say.
My only criticism would be these two quotes - "I think I have the power to convey something more than others" and "I think it's a better program than anyone else's". Maybe I'm oversensitive, or maybe it's a cultural thing, but especially the first one sounds a tad conceited. Kazuki is a sweet and positive boy, but I simply can't agree that he has a conveying power more than others in general. Than most, yes, certainly. He's a great dancer and one of the few who are natural entertainers with star power. But all others? I don't think so. :)
If Kazuki lands his quads and 3A, then I'd say 4CC is very doable this season, and maybe WC again.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Sorry for the late reply, but THANK YOU so much, rRainbow! :thank:
It's fascinating to hear about how he thought about the programmes, and I'm relieved to know he's still working closely with Misha - surely it's not easy to work with a coach remotely. About his jumps, I could tell they're bigger than before :drama: I think that's probably one of the reasons his landings seem a bit wild at the moment. By the way, both he and Kaori participated in Kinki just after JO, and neither of them were satisfied with their performances (both took pics in 'seiza' position), makes me think that his blip at Kinki was partly due to the fact that back-to-back competitions are hard! Maybe he should have gotten an exemption from regionals like some of the others.

@surimi, I see those statements more as him trying to sound confident and maybe do some PR for himself, considering his complicated relationship with the fed... Sadly, politics is part of the sport, but poor Kazuki has no-one powerful to advocate for him, so I see why he tries to do it himself 😕

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
My only criticism would be these two quotes - "I think I have the power to convey something more than others" and "I think it's a better program than anyone else's". Maybe I'm oversensitive, or maybe it's a cultural thing, but especially the first one sounds a tad conceited. Kazuki is a sweet and positive boy, but I simply can't agree that he has a conveying power more than others in general. Than most, yes, certainly. He's a great dancer and one of the few who are natural entertainers with star power. But all others? I don't think so. :)
If Kazuki lands his quads and 3A, then I'd say 4CC is very doable this season, and maybe WC again.

Isn't that strange? I don't think I've ever heard Kazuki talk like that in the last four years, indeed he has always spoken in very respectful terms towards others. Maybe Kirara is right and it's a mere strategy or simply he couldn't phrase it like it wanted and it came out in a way that seems a bit unrespectful. It happens, I don't think he really meant to say that he can convey something better than Shoma or Yuzu.

Re 4CC and WC I'm also very confident he will be there.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I think he believes in the power of positive thinking. I guess what he meant to say was "I think I convey something more enthusiastically than others," and "In my book, it's a better program than anyone else's." He is a competitive athlete after all, and he needs to psych himself up going into the upcoming competitions. He has to be mentally strong and aggressive.

In this article on Kazuki right after Kinki regionals, he explains that the big reason why he couldn't do his best skate in the free was that he lost his composure after seeing other skaters getting poor results.
Translation:

He explained the reason, "I was caught up in the emotion of the moment.” He skated last. Whenever he heard the scores of the competitors before him, he knew that their results were not good. He waited for his turn to skate, bracing himself for his usual challenge and thought, "I’d better do well. I need to be detached and stay unfazed." However "I couldn't do it when I saw Sumitada-kun's face," he said.

When he saw the tearful face of Sumitada Moriguchi, his kohai (younger skater) who had just finished, he thought, "I completely freaked out. I felt lost,” and stepped onto the ice still upset. "It's not Sumitada’s fault at all. I wish, in competition, I could have thought more about myself, been more self-centered and unkind," he regretted.

At Japan Open last week, he focused too much on quad, and couldn't perform other jumps and spins well. This time (Kinki), his mission was "to successfully execute all combinations." In the second half, he held on to his two jumps, and connected them to the second one. "I did my best in the second half," he said, thinking positively.

"I'll have to concentrate to give everything I've got," he reflected on his victory as he headed for the Grand Prix (GP) series.

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thanks, @rRainbow, yes I think you hit the nail in the head here. I didn't know about this article re: Kinki, so really appreciate your translation!

That's something that he said about his disappointing results last Nats as well. He said his strong point is that he brings a lot of emotion to the competition, but that can be his downfall too. Kinda implying that the reason he didn't do that well, especially in the free, was psychological rather than physical. So yeah, I can see why he would want to psych himself and believe he has something special to give to the performance that no-one else has.

I thought his mindset was really good at Gensan ('I want to tell my own story'), so hopefully he can go back to it for the GP series.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Kazuki will be a guest in the show 'Arakawa & Friends' on 28 Oct!
According to the guide, some of the themes are: 'Secret story of this season's program created with Misha Ge. Bonds with fellow skaters. Changes in your favorite skates !? What are your thoughts on challenging the season of competition?'

Hopefully there will be some translation/videos :pray:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Kazuki will be a guest in the show 'Arakawa & Friends' on 28 Oct!
According to the guide, some of the themes are: 'Secret story of this season's program created with Misha Ge. Bonds with fellow skaters. Changes in your favorite skates !? What are your thoughts on challenging the season of competition?'

Hopefully there will be some translation/videos :pray:

I hope so! ^ ^ It seems to be a long talkshow so I hope someone uploads it.

This popped up at me today on youtube: https://youtu.be/3deOCH3FMLM. A Fuji TV documentary on Kazuki, I guess. The kanji he picked for this season is 'utmost/most/extreme' (thanks jisho org :D )

Last edited:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
This popped up at me today on youtube: https://youtu.be/3deOCH3FMLM. A Fuji TV documentary on Kazuki, I guess. The kanji he picked for this season is 'utmost/most/extreme' (thanks jisho org :D )
Translation:

Title: “Kazuki Tomono - Determination to challenge the fierce competition to become a national team member.”
0:41
“It's the same every year, but last year, I had been practicing very hard to get better results and to be at a higher level. Indeed I was in the best shape ever when I entered the Japanese Nationals, but it was the first time that I hadn't been able to perform as well as I wanted to in both the short and free skating, so I was really unsure of what to do after the Nationals.”
1:20
“I was giving too much special attention to the competition, or I was putting too much weird feeling into it. Last season, I was too focused on the results. and I feel like it was a swing and a miss for me every year because of that. I finally realized my weaknesses because I approached the challenge in top shape, or rather, because I was in perfect shape for the first time, I was able to see what was wrong with me. I really think it's about how I keep my mind in competition.”
2:00
“Now that the Summer Olympics are finally over, I'm finally starting to look towards the Winter Olympics. Well, to be honest, I don't think I'm in the position to become a member of the Japanese national team yet, so I'm hoping that I can make a big upset, even if it's just a little bit. Yes, a big come-from-behind success.”
3:24
“I believe we made a really good program for both the short and free skate. The short program was full of all the things I've progressed, and it's more like proof of my growth. I think the free is really my kind of program, full of my own good qualities, so I want to give a good performance to repay sensei for making such a good program for me.”
4:10
“Now, it's not just about making myself more appealing to the audience, but I think I've acquired a bit of an inner sensibility, or an expression of my own. Before, I used to push myself forward and forward, but now I feel like I'm not pushing myself forward, but somehow I am capable of drawing the audience in.”

(This season’s motto/goal in one kanji) Kazuki’s motto in prior years were:
18-19 改 (renew); 19-20 強 (strong); 20-21 学 (learn)

5:22
“Here you are (showing “最” he just calligraphed). The word for the best. The most. My goal for this year is to be the best I've ever been, so maybe I shouldn't be too obsessed with that, but I hope I can show the best me I've ever been. That's what I really want to do this season. Yes.”

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you so much, rRainbow! So it really confirms his issues last season were 100% psychological. I hope he manages to stay calm for his GP assignments, which are both really tough. Not too long for GP Italy now!

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Reposting from Sota thread:

Quadruple Axel (9/29/21) has onsen club boys' chat right after the online talkshow was over on Aug. 8:
Translated excerpts:

-- I hope all four of you will be able to be in a place together as soon as possible. Now, let's continue with the question section. The next question is, "Are there any other programs by other members of this club that you would like to try?"
Sota: You mean the programs of this member, right?
Kazuki Who? What should it be?
Taichiro: Huh?
Mitsuki: I want the one by Sota with his purple costume.
Sota: "Tenchijin (Heart of Samurai)"?
Mitsuki: The free skate from when we went to the US ('15/JGP America) together.
Sota: Oh, "the Piano Concerto (Piano Concerto No. 1)"!
Mitsuki: I thought that was nice. I want to try it.
Sota: It's a classical piece, a real classic.
Kazuki I want Mitsuki to do Sota's "Anthem".
Taichiro: I think you'll do well with this type of music.
Mitsuki: Yes, music-wise.
Sota: His style is similar to mine.
Mitsuki: What about you, Taichiro?
Taichiro: I'm sorry I can't answer this question, but..... I can't imagine. The programs that you guys have done so far are the ones that show your greatest strengths. I can't imagine myself doing the same program as you guys did.
Kazuki: I really know what you mean. It's true that I can't imagine myself skating someone else's program. But when I think of a piece I'd like to try, I think of something like "Poeta" by Sota.
Sota: I am surprised that Kazuki hasn't done anything like that (flamenco).
Kazuki: I feel like I'd be overwhelmed by the music. "Moulin Rouge" was a tango, so it was a little like that kind of music.
Sota: Oh, that's true.
Kazuki: But I was told by my sensei (Taijin Hiraike) that it wasn't good enough. That's why I'm not really into that kind of thing. Because of my height, I can't be very powerful, so it's a bit difficult for me and I could only make it look tango-ish. That's why I envy people like Sota and Taichiro who can use such powerful music. It's something I don't have myself.
Taichiro: After listening to you guys, I want to do "Moulin Rouge." I’ve just thought about it (laughs)!
Kazuki: For sure, it would suit you! Taichiro would definitely look good. I'd also like to see you do some other jazz for real.
Sota: Even more seriously jazzy than "La La Land"?
Kazuki: It's gotta be the real jazz music. He would be looking cool in a suit.
Sota: He should do something like authentic jazz.
Kazuki: Yes, yes, yes, I think he would definitely look good.
Taichiro: That would be cool!

- to be cont'd -

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Part 2:

Kazuki: I think Taichiro is a good fit for music where he gives off masculine charm, looking hot just standing there. Huh? The topic seems to have changed to "songs that would suit you" (laughs).
Sota: I like "Les Miserables'' by Mitsuki. I've been saying "I like it" for quite a while. For Kazuki's program, I've done "New Cinema Paradise '' at galas, and I'd like to do it again with a new arrangement. As to Taichiro's program, I wonder what it would be. I was going to say "La La Land," but since Kazuki has done it too, I'll just say ....... (laughs). I'd like to try "The Godfather'' too. That one sounds cool.
Taichiro: I have a feeling Sota can do well with "The Godfather" too.
Kazuki I just realized that Taichiro's program is so Taichiro. Don't you think so? I can't imagine using Taichiro's music the most out of all these. I can't imagine myself skating to it. I use "La La Land," but his other programs are also unique, and I'm not sure I can perform them. Again, I realized that his programs are very much his own.
Taichiro: Basically, my music pieces are the ones that not many people use.
Kazuki: They're really nice.
Taichiro: It's the first time for everyone to hear these songs, so they’re original in a sense. That's why they show my style clearly. But of all the songs I've used, I've never had anyone say to me, "I want to use that song too." (laughs)
Sota and Mitsuki: Really?
Kazuki: Because you're Taichiro! He's using difficult songs!
Taichiro: I don’t remember anyone saying, "I want to use this song too" (laughs).
--Incidentally, here’s another question we’ve received, "This year, the project of passing down the legacy of Mr. Machida by Tanaka senshu at the ice show attracted a lot of attention, but if you could "inherit" only one program of another skater, what would it be? What would you like to do?
Mitsuki: Yes! Hanyu (Yuzuru) senshu's "Parisienne Walkways" (12-13, 13-14 SP).
Kazuki: Oh!
Sota: That is a great choice. That's awesome. It's a synonym for Hanyu senshu. I also love Hanyu's "Hope & Legacy" from the free skate of 16-17.
Mitsuki: Oh, great!
Sota: At the World Championships in Helsinki, he skated flawlessly. I really loved that program and the steps too. I was injured during that season, so I watched the competitions on TV all through the season, and I was blown away by that program. I wish I could skate like that.
--You watched it when you were injured, and it encouraged you.
Sota: That's right. It was in March and I was in my second year of high school, and I hadn't been on the ice yet, but when I saw that free skate, I got excited for the first time in a long time, and it was a performance that encouraged me a lot.
--You watched it when you were injured, and it encouraged you.
Sota: That's right. It was in March, when I was in my second year of high school, and I wasn't able to get on the ice yet, but watching that free skate, I got excited for the first time in a long time, and it was a performance that inspired me so much.
Kazuki: That's a very good reason!

- to be cont'd -

Last edited:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Part 3:

--You just mentioned "Parisienne Walkways," why did you choose it?
Mitsuki: I think that's because I've seen most of Hanyu senshu's performances so far and.I often watch the free skate "Romeo and Juliet" (13-14), but I prefer to watch the short programs. I've been watching "Parisienne Walkways" for a long time, so in total, I've watched it the most times. I still remember a lot of the choreography.
Sota: You still watch it, don't you?
Mitsuki: Yeah, I do.
Sota: "So cool!!" It wows me.
Mitsuki: Yes, exactly. Also, Dennis Teng's short when he won the Four Continents Championships (Seoul, 2015). Many people say they like the free skate of that year, but I like the short "Caruso".
Sota: Yeah, yeah, the vocal one.
Mitsuki: Right, right. So I prefer to watch the short.
Sota: We're talking a lot like skating buffs (laughs).
Mitsuki: Hahaha (laughs).
Kazuki I can't keep up with you guys!
Sota: (looking at Tomono and Yamakuma) You guys, you’d better watch more skating (laughs)!
Taichiro: I don't watch much. When I do, they are always the same ones. Like (Evan) Lysacek.
Mitsuki: Oh. He had an aura of maturity.
--Come to think of it, the vibe he gives off is similar, isn't it?
Kazuki: Indeed, yes.
Mitsuki: Yeah, yeah.
Taichiro: But what I want to inherit is Takahashi (Daisuke)-kun's "Eye" (08-09, 09-10 SP).
Mitsuki and Kazuki: Oh, that's great!
Sota: Great idea. You've said so before, haven't you?
Taichiro: That style is cool, isn't it? That's really cool. Anyway, it was cool and I really wanted to be able to do steps like that. I think it would be great if I could perform that program.
Kazuki: I also thought of Daisuke Takahashi senshu, and the first thing that came to my mind was "Mambo" (10-11 SP)! I want to do it so much.
Everyone: That's good! Great!
--That would be perfect for you!

- to be cont'd -