Kevin Aymoz | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Kevin Aymoz

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Think what you like about the isu skating awards, but Kevin's FS is nominated for the most entertaining programme. It's not his current one, but the one from last season I think.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I liked his FS last year, and the Bolero too! The site just says it has to be 2023 and the GP's in 2022 count as well. I automatically thought it would be the one from last season but if it's the one from this season: lovely.

niks

On the Ice
Bolero is a unique magical program. Both the beginning and the end are particularly outstanding and very moving.

Best program of the season for me, by a long long margin. And I have already give it a nice tag of "iconic" in my personnal lists :biggrin:

I do hope Kevin can perform it many more times in a fulfilling way, because he is certainly capable of creating beauty and connecting to people's feelings

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Kevin will not compete anymore this season. The French Federation gave out following statement (google translate to English):

////
The Technical Directorate of the FFSG formalizes the withdrawal of Kevin AYMOZ from competitions for the remainder of the current season, underlining the priority given to the well-being of the skaters of the French team. This decision is part of a desire to devote the necessary time to rebuilding solid foundations in view of the major milestones of the next two seasons, in particular Olympic qualification and the Olympic Games. This demonstrates the FFSG's commitment to overall athlete development and the pursuit of long-term success.
/////

I'm going to miss him, but considering his last competitions I think it's best for Kevin.

niks

On the Ice
Kevin will not compete anymore this season. The French Federation gave out following statement (google translate to English):

////
The Technical Directorate of the FFSG formalizes the withdrawal of Kevin AYMOZ from competitions for the remainder of the current season, underlining the priority given to the well-being of the skaters of the French team. This decision is part of a desire to devote the necessary time to rebuilding solid foundations in view of the major milestones of the next two seasons, in particular Olympic qualification and the Olympic Games. This demonstrates the FFSG's commitment to overall athlete development and the pursuit of long-term success.
/////

I'm going to miss him, but considering his last competitions I think it's best for Kevin.

Maybe it's the English translation but this statement doesn't sit quite right with me. It makes it sound like either they forced him to withdraw against his wishes, or are just informing Kevin's decision but putting a big spin on it to make them look good. Ultimately it looks like the French Fed is using Kevin's very unfortunate and public meltdowns to give itself a publicity boost. The last sentence is particularly off-putting: whatever happened / happens to Kevin demostrates nothing regarding the so-called commitment of the Fed, and above all, should not be used for cheap corporate marketing. Again, maybe the original in French is better but it did upset me when I read it.

Anyway, I just wish Kevin the best, that he gets all the support he needs (from the apparently so supportive Fed :p but mainly of course from his loved ones) and comes back stronger. He will certainly be missed while he is away.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe it's the English translation but this statement doesn't sit quite right with me. It makes it sound like either they forced him to withdraw against his wishes, or are just informing Kevin's decision but putting a big spin on it to make them look good. Ultimately it looks like the French Fed is using Kevin's very unfortunate and public meltdowns to give itself a publicity boost. The last sentence is particularly off-putting: whatever happened / happens to Kevin demostrates nothing regarding the so-called commitment of the Fed, and above all, should not be used for cheap corporate marketing. Again, maybe the original in French is better but it did upset me when I read it.

Anyway, I just wish Kevin the best, that he gets all the support he needs (from the apparently so supportive Fed :p but mainly of course from his loved ones) and comes back stronger. He will certainly be missed while he is away.
The message doesn't sit right with me either. I just hope Kevin is okay with the decision.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sadly, for me the statement sounds just as off putting in French. I am not a Francophone, so maybe I am missing some native speaker nuance, but the FFSG is indeed patting themselves on the back for the long term development of athletes and how wonderful they are for thinking only of the Olympics. :cautious:

A statement that could have just stated that Kévin was withdrawing and wished him the best for a good recovery. I am not happy:mad:

I hope Kévin recovers, comes back as strong as ever, and shows them what a true skating phenomenon he is.:hap10:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
mmm it's not the greatest statement but it's quite common for feds to say things like these... I am a native speaker and I don't have a problem with it.

the Fed is making his w/d official doesn't mean they forced him to w/d... it simply means they are confirming that Kevin has w/d.... whether it is his decision or the fed's... You won't find this in that statement ... however to me, it sounds like it is his decision and that they are supporting him, which is why they come with the next sentence.

then they keep with " the well-being of athletes is a priority" this can mean many things including that Kévin wants to work on his mental and physical preparation and wants to take a break from the competitions, and that the fed supports that. This is actually something Skate Canada focuses on as well... it's fashionable lately to speak up about the need for athletes to regroup. I don't think it is purely marketing here.

the rest simply means that this will give skaters and federation the necessary time needed to build better foundations for the big events in 2 years.

The way I read the whole statement as a francophone is that Kévin needs a break after 3 bad events in a row and the fed and he have decided to skip on the rest of the season to refocus and rebuild mental and physical health, to do better when it really counts. Nothing much else really.

Best wishes to Kévin.

icewhite

Record Breaker
The statement is very formal and doesn't give the best vibes. However I think it's just a normal bureaucratic language from people who are used to administer. There is no empathy in this statement and no real appreciation for Kevin. I don't think they know what they have and have had in him. Weird to talk about the Olympics, but I could see such a statement from the German fed just as easily - in a country where at best people realize figure skating exists once in 4 years and that's the only reason there even is state funding.

The only thing here is the wording, but, whatever, this is not important I think. Maybe they are disappointed, but what matters, in my eyes, is that Kevin is surrounded by people who get him in his personal and everyday life and help him find peace of mind.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Sadly, for me the statement sounds just as off putting in French. I am not a Francophone, so maybe I am missing some native speaker nuance, but the FFSG is indeed patting themselves on the back for the long term development of athletes and how wonderful they are for thinking only of the Olympics. :cautious:

A statement that could have just stated that Kévin was withdrawing and wished him the best for a good recovery. I am not happy:mad:

I hope Kévin recovers, comes back as strong as ever, and shows them what a true skating phenomenon he is.:hap10:

I agree with "patting themselves on the back", but for the rest, I rather see it like 4everchan.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you @4everchan and @DizzyFrenchie for your comments, I feel better now hearing from native speakers. :)

I was taken aback by the last paragraphs about future development, which didn't seem to have anything to do with Kévin, but I should realize every organization has its own public relations objectives.

In any event, I hope that Kevin realizes how many fans love him and his skating and it helps him with whatever issues he is facing.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I’ve been no fan of the French Fed since they forced him to compete injured.

slider11

Medalist

I agree. Either it's just in the translation but why would a federation have to make this announcement and not the skater? I loved his Bolero this year and will miss seeing it at Worlds but if he is injured or just needs time away from the ice to mentally heal, then that is the priority. But it should come from Kevin.