Kim to skate at 2011 Worlds: Press release | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Kim to skate at 2011 Worlds: Press release

brianjyw

Rinkside
By the way, I know that this is off topic, but I don't think it's out of place here. After all, they're all in the pantheon of Champs Now and Forever, which is where Kim is as well. We can talk about her as well! Has everyone seen her ad? It's adorable, and it's on YouTube. I've forgotten: I think it's a Samsung ad, and she is just so at home in front of the camera. She's turning into quite a Renaissance woman!

As a Yuna fan, I don't mind people bringing up their favorites or topics in Yuna-related threads. It is sort of cool and shows how popular Yuna is and how some people are taking advantage of it.

synawe

Spectator
I don't read any sort of slight toward YuNa in Kwanford's comments. If anything, describing YuNa's rise as "Kwan-like" is a compliment when coming from a Kwanbot, no?

And frankly, it seems petty to bring up old back injuries because YuNa has IMO become the top skater, despite whatever setbacks she had. She needs no excuses. Her performances speak for themselves.

I agree with you that Yuna became the top skater and her performances speak for themselves.

However, I sometimes try to imagine what Yuna would have been like now if her back injury did not hamper her for two seasons.
One of the commentators in Vancouver Olympic, non Korean, said "we would have seen this earlier if it weren't for her injury."
I know that this is just another what-if and speculation means nothing, or little at the most.
But, from time to time, I can't help. :p

Well, on the other hand, maybe the rest enabled her to peak at the right time--in an Olympic year--and not get worn down by overuse and other injuries. What good would it have been for her to be at her best in 2007 instead of 2010? What she did in Vancouver was so magical that it needs no second guessing.

But I completely understand the impulse. The one I do sometimes is, what if Michelle hadn't had the stress fracture in 1998 and had had all that time to practice over the summer? But then I remind myself that, if she had won the Olympics in 1998, would she have continued through those phenomenal seasons of 1999 through 2003? Would we have had Song of the Black Swan and Red Violin? Sometimes things work out for the best even without looking like perfection on the face of it.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I didn't know that, Tonichelle, but I'm not surprised. Browning has been a phenomenal skater, both as an amateur and as a pro. That was a Sandra Bezic program, I think.

yes, it was. his most iconic pieces are mainly hers (Nyah being the only exception I can think of off hand, that was choreographed by one of his wife's collegues [ok so I can't spell])

seniorita

Record Breaker
then again with his disaster of an SP he wouldn't have been held up as much as he was either.

Well , you havent received this season's notes, he just fell once and poped the axel, he would have been just fine.:)
You think he was held up being 12th there??Wasnt it enough punishment? I remember 12th cause Hamilton said it right about 10 times in Lp broadcast, in case someone had missed the 30 times he said it in Sp.:laugh:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Under COP Browning would have been alot higher than 12th in the SP even with 2 major mistakes. He would have been higher than Boitano or Petrenko I believe. His footwork sequences would have gained HUGE points, probably level 4s with all kinds of +3s in GOE, and his other elements and PCS would have been huge.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well , you havent received this season's notes, he just fell once and poped the axel, he would have been just fine.:)
You think he was held up being 12th there??Wasnt it enough punishment? I remember 12th cause Hamilton said it right about 10 times in Lp broadcast, in case someone had missed the 30 times he said it in Sp.:laugh:

true :laugh: 12th is not exactly great...

ivy

On the Ice
So I watched the YuNa and Caroline vids - both great in there own way. Yuna's jumps stand out and her basic skating, the laybacks are totally subpar though, still you can see see she has something special. Caroline, spins and spirals to make you weep for joy, but that mule kick on the jumps - ugh. Such different futures for those youngsters so far...

prettykeys

Medalist
So I watched the YuNa and Caroline vids - both great in there own way. Yuna's jumps stand out and her basic skating, the laybacks are totally subpar though, still you can see see she has something special. Caroline, spins and spirals to make you weep for joy, but that mule kick on the jumps - ugh. Such different futures for those youngsters so far...
It is truly astounding how good Caroline Zhang was...I'd actually forgotten. I've seen a couple clips of 13 year old skater girls, but I think Caroline was the most talented 13 year-old I've ever seen, wonky kick on jumping technique notwithstanding. It's hard to think what exactly happened to her.

I have to say, all in all, that I'm glad that YuNa's development progressed steadily (and still seems to be continuing.) Yes, she was also a precocious skater especially with regards to jumps, and her solid technique really provided a solid foundation to keep building on. I hope I am not offending anyone, and maybe Caroline will have a reawakening, but I think she peaked already and something went sadly wrong somewhere. On the other hand, I still don't know whether YuNa has; I feel like she could still improve limitlessly depending only on her desires and ambitions.

janetfan

Match Penalty
It is truly astounding how good Caroline Zhang was...I'd actually forgotten. I've seen a couple clips of 13 year old skater girls, but I think Caroline was the most talented 13 year-old I've ever seen, wonky kick on jumping technique notwithstanding. It's hard to think what exactly happened to her.

I have to say, all in all, that I'm glad that YuNa's development progressed steadily (and still seems to be continuing.) Yes, she was also a precocious skater especially with regards to jumps, and her solid technique really provided a solid foundation to keep building on. I hope I am not offending anyone, and maybe Caroline will have a reawakening, but I think she peaked already and something went sadly wrong somewhere. On the other hand, I still don't know whether YuNa has; I feel like she could still improve limitlessly depending only on her desires and ambitions.

I hope Caroline continues working on her tech and will continue skating if that is what she wants. She was an amazing 13 year old.

One of the "secrets" to Yuna's success has been that she never stopped improving and as her tech became more refined her artistry grew right along with it.

I remember Button watching Yuna back at 2007 Worlds - and remarks like "that is not an attractive position" about her layback and noting her spiral left something to be desired.

Yuna worked on her skating and there was no sudden change but rather a gradual one. She was already a wonderful skater in 2007 - but by 2010 she was as Button said "athletic and elegant and a great Olympic champion."

To say Yuna did not get better in four seasons is to ignore how hard she worked at every aspect of her skating.

Is she perfect? Not sure if we have ever seen a perfect skater but Yuna sure comes very close to it.
She is musical and expressive, and a very strong competitor. Her all around tech is unrivaled and watching the other Ladies it seems fair to say skating under the CoP is quite demanding.

In Vancouver Yuna made it look easy. Her techical mastery allowed her to enhance her presentation.
Like most in the skating world I look forward to her return at Worlds later this season.

Will she be even better? That is a mind-boggling thought :)

I second that, Janetfan. You could watch her getting better year by year. The stuff she was phenomenal in got even more impressive, and the stuff she wasn't brilliant in also improved. Perfect? Who's perfect? But YuNa is an ideal skater, because she combines talent, hard work, and understanding of how to approach the work ("smart" work), as well as the steadiness of temperament that can make the talent and work pay off at the events where it matters the most. Never as long as I live will I forget that moment at the start of her Olympic long program when she gave that smile and got to work. I feel honored to be her fan right now during her active career. She will be one of the all-time greats, and skating fans of the future will envy us that we watched her as it happened.

As for Caroline, I refuse to believe that someone that good at thirteen could lose it all just a few years later. Most kids who lose their talent do it from injuries, it seems, combined with physical growth. Growth by itself can't take away their gifts, if they train smart. Prettykeys, you said that Caroline may be the most talented 13-year-old you've ever seen, and she's certainly one of the names at the top of my list too, but another top contender for the Amazing Thirteen-Year-Old Award was the magnificently gifted Naomi Nari Nam, and what stopped her in her tracks was that dratted hip injury. Meissner as well suffered more from injuries than height, because her training just couldn't catch up with her needs. That's why I continue to have hope for Zhang. How could I turn away from such a lovely skater? I gather that people like Frauregina, who have some form of fan-club contact with her, have communicated that her fans still support her. Maybe that will sustain her and keep her motivated.

Last edited:

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
I hope Caroline continues working on her tech and will continue skating if that is what she wants. She was an amazing 13 year old.

One of the "secrets" to Yuna's success has been that she never stopped improving and as her tech became more refined her artistry grew right along with it.

I remember Button watching Yuna back at 2007 Worlds - and remarks like "that is not an attractive position" about her layback and noting her spiral left something to be desired.

Yuna worked on her skating and there was no sudden change but rather a gradual one. She was already a wonderful skater in 2007 - but by 2010 she was as Button said "athletic and elegant and a great Olympic champion."

To say Yuna did not get better in four seasons is to ignore how hard she worked at every aspect of her skating.

Is she perfect? Not sure if we have ever seen a perfect skater but Yuna sure comes very close to it.
She is musical and expressive, and a very strong competitor. Her all around tech is unrivaled and watching the other Ladies it seems fair to say skating under the CoP is quite demanding.

In Vancouver Yuna made it look easy. Her techical mastery allowed her to enhance her presentation.
Like most in the skating world I look forward to her return at Worlds later this season.

Will she be even better? That is a mind-boggling thought :)

janetfan...I like your post...thank you!

I must correct it about Button.
1. He didn't like Yuna's Bielleman spiral position...It is his personal taste...He doesn't like anybody in that posion.
2. He didn't like Yuna's free leg in layback spin and many people listened to him...truth is...if you turnout your free leg...
you must sacrifice the turning speed(slower revolution)...I and many prefer Yuna's free leg.

Yuna will not be any better...How can she better the Bond Girl and Concerto F ?...she'll just show us another side of her with...
-----Giselle and Arirang-----

Thanks again for nice comments...You were a Yuna fan anyway !

janetfan

Match Penalty

1. He didn't like Yuna's Bielleman spiral position...It is his personal taste...He doesn't like anybody in that posion.
2. He didn't like Yuna's free leg in layback spin and many people listened to him...truth is...if you turnout your free leg...
you must sacrifice the turning speed(slower revolution)...I and many prefer Yuna's free leg.

Yuna will not be any better...How can she better the Bond Girl and Concerto F ?...she'll just show us another side of her with...

I always have liked Yuna's skating.......just some of her fans ...... get me at times......;)

mskater93

Record Breaker

Completely disagree with the speed of the layback spin being sacrificed with PROPER turn out on a layback - reference Denise Bielman, Sasha Cohen, Alissa Czisny, Mirai Nagasu, and Caroline Zhang who all have beautiful free leg position in their layback and who all spin fast. I have found on my own layback that when the hip is turned out properly, it spins faster than if it's not...

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Completely disagree with the speed of the layback spin being sacrificed with PROPER turn out on a layback - reference Denise Bielman, Sasha Cohen, Alissa Czisny, Mirai Nagasu, and Caroline Zhang who all have beautiful free leg position in their layback and who all spin fast. I have found on my own layback that when the hip is turned out properly, it spins faster than if it's not...

You maybe right for some skaters...Yuna turn out her leg in a slow spin...in her Meditation program.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

No, he didn't like her arabesque spiral position because she didn't point her toes.

janetfan

Match Penalty
You maybe right for some skaters...Yuna turn out her leg in a slow spin...in her Meditation program.

The first picture I saw of Yuna and her new coach had him grabbing her leg and trying to make her turn out not to mention point her toes. And he looked somewhat baffled :biggrin:

Like I said, nobody is perfect. Yuna's great qualities more than overcome a few minor flaws.
Actually Dick Button said that .......:cool: