Kim Yu-Na says Sochi result behind her | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kim Yu-Na says Sochi result behind her

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I'm glad that Yuna is able to move on to new things. She has behaved in the most gracious way through all of this.

I can't be so generous. While I would have disliked it, it would have been acceptable to me if Adelina had edged Yuna out in a fairly scored competition. But that is not is not what happened. In the SP I think even the GOE and level were fair because while Adelina had an easier triple-triple, she aced all the elements. What I don't like is her PCS, it was already as high as it should have been at Euros. PCS raising itself by a further 2 points is equivalent to a 5/6 points raise in the FS. If she had increased 1 point she would have been about 1.5 points behind Yuna. That's an acceptable margin. They marked both Adelina and Yulia too high in the FS. After Euros a 67-68 for Yulia would have been palatable. For Adelina the scoring was absurd, even if someone could prove (by reading his thoughts) that the technical controller did not favor Adelina, it does not change the fact that this should never have happened to begin with. The ISU should have made sure that all three members were beyond reproach. Same with the judges. Adelina's GOE on jumps were insane, she did not suddenly become twice the skater she was at Euros in jumping technique. And her LP PCS: I always thought that 69 (and 68 for Yulia) were not suitable. If they got 60 at GPF for weak skates, then Euros should have been about 65 at the most. At the Olympics, with the sudden inflation given for great skates I could live with Adelina getting 70. But suddenly going from 60 to 75 after a single competition? It's unfair.

Now I sort of agree with those who have said that in some ways Adelina is the one who will be affected the worst now. What I can't stand are those personal best records. 74.XX and 149.XX are scores that will be unattainable for Adelina again. Who gets 12 points better that their inflated nationals score? I really think that Adelina will be lucky to even crack 205 in Japan with Shin Amano as the technical controller.

Petitefleur

Spectator
I was really sad and frightened by such wickedness spilled regarding the ladies results in Sochi.
1 - Yuna was the best in 2010 , a model , and still undeniably one of the best in the world ... but her supremacy was not indestructible, Mao Asada has even beaten her !
In 2014 , as some have pointed out, the level of women has certainly increased. Improvement of old talents, emerging new talents .
In Sochi, Yuna acknowledged not having the same motivation to win, compared to 2010. Skating after Adelina, she had the opportunity of adding a triple jump in her free skate, she was able to do it , but she did not. Asada did 8 triple jumps in her program.
It reminds me what a journalist said to Michelle KWAN, beaten by Lipinski , who told her she had room enough in her program to add a jump ( but Kwan skated before Lipinski , not after her!) . The triple jump, and the GOE to go with, gave more points to Adelina . The two free programs were beautiful in a different style . Two judges in a panel could'nt make the difference , and anyway , Adelina free program was technically more consistent , not only jumps, but also beautiful pirouettes ... I 'm not shocked by her victory.

2 - objectively , a medal is a matter of a day ( be ready , physically and mentally fit, and lucky) . She is not a model of consistency , but it was the D day for SOTNIKOVA . Some are surprised by the difference of points obtained in one month by Adelina ( who knows the judging system, this is simply the difference of points between a program with errors , and a well-executed program , which is fair).
I repeat , a medal is the matter of a day , the proof by the opposite point of view: the first day was not the D day for Mao ASADA , she had never skated with so many errors, it was even her PW (personal worst score) in a short progam ( 55.51 = 20 points less than her personal best in a short program, that was 75.84) ! overnight , everything changed, and she as able to skate a free program that improved her personal best 142.71 ! In a same event: PW and PB.
I am convinced that if Yuna had trained again with Brian Orser this season, and if she had not been disturbed by her injury, the result would have been different for her in Sochi.

3 - I regret that Yuna leaves the competition, she is still very young, she has the qualities, I am even convinced that she has not reached her full potential ! but she is certainly tired to live the austere life of competitive skaters , and galas are more profitable. I understand that Yuna is an idol for some fans , I understand they are disappointed, but for many other malicious people , it is mostly synonymous of controversy with a political battle perfume. I think it nasty and pathetic.

alexis

Spectator
Indeed she has moved on. I watched about 20 minutes of the interview so far and she seems so refreshed and happy. She was easily smiling and laughing and it didn't look fake. She definitely looked younger and more vibrant at the appearance and the interview.

^^^This. Yuna is ready and happy to move on to the next chapter of her life. Hope she finds happiness, success and satisfaction in whatever she will do in future.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
'It was absurd' didn't sound like something Yuna would say at all.

Well she would be fully within her rights to have said that if she did. She would just be echoeing what 99% of the population who had the slighest witness to the event have already said.

LRK

Record Breaker
I feel they did this to Wagner too when she made her comments. I could never find their true context - just select quotes. Probably made her sound worse than she really did.

Yes, that was one of the (several) threads I was thinking of.

@EricRohmer - thanks for posting that interview! and of course thanks to the original translator as well.