Kwan Cut Practice Short | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kwan Cut Practice Short

millie

Medalist
flying camel said:
She should have skipped the opening cermonies. It was not like she had never been in them before. Why isn't her coach with her?

Her coach was having visa problems and won't be in until Sunday.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
To me, it won't be the same without her. I saw this on NBC' weekend today special this morning. My thoughts are this:

-media were saying that the athletes were sitting there for a long time last night because they had them sit in the stadium for half of the ceremony. That could have effected her.
-ladies isn't until the second week. It's a little premature to get antsy over a bad practice. Hopefully she'll do some physio on it today, rest and have a great practice tomorrow.

For me, I don't care if she gets a medal or not. She's a class act and I love to watch Michelle. I've rooted for her for a lot of years and, if she skates in Torino, I'll cheer just as loudly for her as I did in Nagano! Wishing her lots of 'comfy groin' vibes.

76olympics

On the Ice
Why does the press/public have to be privy to Olympic practices or the backstage area in competition,anyway? I think this is intrusive and unnecessary. I still remember the 1988 Olympics where they practically had the camera trained on Brian Orser backstage after revealing that the pressure prior to the games had caused him to enlist the aid of a sports psychologist. I thought then that it was really insensitive to subject him to minute by minute scrutiny like that. He did look nervous and understandably so. What mattered there was the fact that both the toprunners put in awesome performances on the ice. At least, the fluffs don't use that "camera on skater as he/she goes through every move at the Olympics." Color me naive, but I think they should be able to practice in peace. Michelle is mature enough, IMHO, to withdraw without news pressure if she has to do so.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kati said:
This must also be agonizing for Emily Hughes I guess... to go or not to go to Torino...

Emily hasn't even been competing as a Senior for a full year as yet. Where does she get this sense of entitlement?

brad640

On the Ice
chuckm said:
Emily hasn't even been competing as a Senior for a full year as yet. Where does she get this sense of entitlement?
From winning the bronze at nationals.

waxel

Final Flight
No doubt today's "Olympic Ice" will discuss this in detail. Yesterday's episode was very interesting. Particularly David Pelltier's frank discussion of the problems with the NJS (which was right on the money) and Tracy Wilson's gushing endorsement of how near-to-perfection it is. She HAS been one of my favorite commentators, but if she can't recognoze the flaws, then she's not looking. Perhaps the ISU pressured her to make the remarks. Who knows?

But the OI show is a must for every day!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
millie said:
Her coach was having visa problems and won't be in until Sunday.

Why does this happen? Anyone know what the problem is?

Julie O

Rinkside
Waxel, I agree about not missing Olympic Ice any evening! It was unique, informative, and funny too. Scott and Dick confided that they "came for the scandals!" :rofl:
Tracy probably was trying to reassure the casual fan viewers that the NJS was interesting and fair, even though she was one of those who said last night that it wasn't "audience-friendly."
It was fun to see David and Jamie (especially David) really holding forth, sharing their opinions and experiences with us. At one point, Jamie looked up at David as though she had never heard any of what he was saying before...now that's behind-the-scenes at its most compelling.
And the mix of Scott, Dick, Tracy and Sandra will be always fascinating too. :yes:

Julie

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I apologize that I can't find the source, but I read somewhere that the rule is that once a skater has touched official practice ice -- and the photos of Kwan practicing show "Torino 2006" on the ice -- an alternate can skate only if there is a withdrawal for unforeseen circumstances (and not a pre-existing and predictable injury.)

According to the following article in the Washington Post, Emily Hughes would skate if Kwan withdraws before the start of the competition.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/11/AR2006021100427.html

flowjo35

On the Ice
millie said:
With regard to Michelle and the media, Michelle called the press conference herself to explain what happened to her in her practice. I don't think that she was hounded.:)

Not sure where you got that information from. Michelle did not call a press conference to discuss her practice. This was scheduled days ago, just like Kimmie's was yesterday and Sasha's will be tomorrow. These scheduled press conferences were posted on the USFSA board earlier this week I believe.:)

chuckm said:
What sense of entitlement? No doubt she is on pins and needles not knowing whether she will be called upon at the last minute to jump in for Michelle. Who wouldn't be?

MM

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am baffled at MK's decision to march in the opening ceremonies. After a long plane ride she should have been resting and keeping her body warm. Not marching around in the cold and sitting around in the cold. To have pushed herself like that was IMHO foolish and a bit self destructive. Sasha is playing it smart and so is Irina. Why can't MK? I hope she decides to stay off the ice for a couple of days, in that she won't even be competing for a week and a half, and just rests. I suspect that this is it for her. It makes me sad for her and angry at her. Oh well, there're a lot of other Olympics competitions going on.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
chuckm said:

:confused: She was officially named first alternate. If any of our Ladies couldn't skate, Emily has a responsibility to step up.

Michelle said if she wasn't 100%, she would withdraw. I trust her to keep her word. Could you imagine the effect it would have, if Michelle kept the spot and was too injured to skate even halfway decently? The media would tear the poor girl to shreds. I will be sending out good vibes. What a horrible situation for her. :no:

Gatzbee

Rinkside
the press conference was planned days ago. it happened that the press conference followed a bad practice. personally i wouldn't have gone out to the ice this morning if i was feeling a little stiff. i wish arutunian was there with her. wuts done is done. hopefully this won't be too serious, and i wish her the best.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I'll wait until next week. It is not the groin. It was the back, old one had been buggered her for years now.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmego500

Rinkside
She's got luck that her dicipline is the last to skate so if the injury is indeed flaring up again, she's got 10 days to let it heal as much as it can.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
mzheng said:
I'll wait until next week. It is not the groin. It was the back, old one had been buggered her for years now.

Thanks for clarifying the injury mzheng. It makes me a bit more hopeful.

mzheng

Record Breaker
yelyoh said:
Thanks for clarifying the injury mzheng. It makes me a bit more hopeful.
Just wait couple of days more. She got the last treatment right before she leaving for Turino, she should've just wait out for its effective.

kyla2

Final Flight
Not Good

O.k. whether she called the conference or not, or whether she marched in the parade or not, isn't relevant to what's going on here (I mean really folks if an athlete can't march in a parade or fly on a plane, there is a serious issue about competing period). Whether it is her back or groin isn't the issue either. She is still clearly injured and I think skating two clean packed programs is not something she can do. It's absolutely killing me to say this, but I think she has to seriously consider withdrawing at this point. I think it's over. I just can't believe this is happening. As far as skating is concerned for me, this is the year from hell and I am heartbroken for her.