Ladies LP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

oleada

Record Breaker
I thought the judging and calling was fair, except for Miki's 3-3. It looked rotated to me.

Loved Yu-Na's program. It's gorgeous. Can't wait to see it later in the season when it's more fleshed out.

Yukari's Giselle was the better program, I thought. But Miki was in great shape considering her major injury and lost training time. Another caller would've given her credit for the 3-3.

Rachael is still boring and SLOW, Mirai needs a major jump overhaul and Kimmie, as much as I like her, is done.

jamie

On the Ice
Well, if we ( Americans ) want a lady in the Final, it looks like the weight of the world is now on Caroline's little shoulders.
The weight of over expectant American obsessives maybe! ;) She's 15, would be nice if she skated clean and had some positive experiences on the GP. Does Czisny have 2 GP's by any chance?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
my heart breaks for Kimmie... hopefully she rallys in her next competition!

I still believe, Kim!

fourclover

On the Ice
Yu-na looked like she put on some weight. Or I should say, her body is becoming more womanly. Definitely changing. Hopefully, she'll get fitter as season goes along. He LIP isn't an obvious one - a straight edge when she takes off that becomes slight (less than 5 degrees) inside edge as soon as she leaves the ice; it's not like Mao's (former) 50 degrees flutz or Kimmie or Miki's (former) 40 degrees LIP.

kandidy

Final Flight
Everyone looked so tired. Not to blame the schedule, but they have time to rest less than 15 hours, if it was me ,I will be so exhausted.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Well, if we ( Americans ) want a lady in the Final, it looks like the weight of the world is now on Caroline's little shoulders.

Don't jinx her. ;)

Looks like out of all the young 'uns, Caroline has had the best senior international debut, placement-wise. Funny how one of the most criticised new Americans might be the only one to make the GPF. I have faith that she will, though, she doesn't look like the type who'll skimp on doing 3-3s in competition.

I love Kimmie but I'm afraid it's over for her. We've held out hope for her quite often enough as it is. The idea that she'll make the Olympics is just laughable to me. I don't know if her heart is elsewhere...she obviously can do the jumps in practice, so I'm not sure what's the problem.

Rachael was boring as usual but steady. Those little mistakes she made at the end seemed very out of character, and I don't think she'll make them too often from now on. Mirai was touted as having the best jump technique all along, but I'm not sure that still stands. It's not just that she underrotates, her landings are almost always shaky as well. I did notice that she got significantly less applause than either Kimmie or Rachael, despite the fact that she's American.

Yukari just seemed...blah to me. I can't get into her jumps and her positions on the spirals and spins (aside from the doughnut) are not as superb as they're cracked out to be. Miki was lethargic and seemed totally uninvolved in her program, as per usual.

Yu-Na...boy, she can do nothing and she'd still win. Clearly the class of the field, and she looked gorgeous at this competition. Her red dress reminded me of MK's LP to the same music. :laugh: at the fact she managed a 20-point lead over her nearest competitor.

And I've gotta say that I didn't care for the music choices of any of the girls this time around. The only ones I cared for were Kimmie and Mirai's SP choices.

Okami

On the Ice
In the instant replay on NBC, Yu-na had a very lip. I am kinda getting angry with this judging system almost choosing just which skaters get picked on.

Considering her score (123.95) I wonder if she got dinged with an edge call. This score is very similiar to what she got at Worlds, though at WOrlds she had lower PCS, and messy landing in addition to a popped jump.

ETA: No, she wasn't. I don't know what to think about it.. She used to have a failry clean flip last season (taking off from a flat rather than inside edge), but all the flips, both in practice and in the competition, could be easily mistaken for lutzes (if it wasn't for the different entry). I feel sad for the ladies who got deducted.

Yukari's Giselle was the better program, I thought. But Miki was in great shape considering her major injury and lost training time. Another caller would've given her credit for the 3-3.

I agree. She wasn't as expressive as Yukari, but after such a painful injury and so much lost practice time most of the ladies would would struggle to land a triple toe, let alone successfully land two 3-3 combinations, all the planned jumps AND even some quads in practice!

I hope that with a few successful competitions her confidence and PCS will go up.

I'm heartbroken for Kimmie. I just started liking her skating yesterday. I think she made great improvements in her po9sture and expression... Shame about the jumps. :(

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yu-na looked like she put on some weight. Or I should say, her body is becoming more womanly. Definitely changing. Hopefully, she'll get fitter as season goes along. He LIP isn't an obvious one - a straight edge when she takes off that becomes slight (less than 5 degrees) inside edge as soon as she leaves the ice; it's not like Mao's (former) 50 degrees flutz or Kimmie or Miki's (former) 40 degrees LIP.

Umm, if it becomes a slight inside edge as she leaves, than it's not a LIP because a lip involves in outside edge... taking off with only the slightest inside edge is considered textbook technique.

Considering her score (123.95) I wonder if she got dinged with an edge call. This score is very similiar to what she got at Worlds, though at WOrlds she had lower PCS, and messy landing in addition to a popped jump.

She didn't get as huge of GOE for her combo/jumps as she use to get, and I think she was hit for that one spin too. Plus, a popped jump cost her five points too.

Last edited:
Battle of the giselles v. Yuna kim

With all her minor faults, Ms. Kim is soooo special in figure skating. Nothing seems to bother her except, occasionally, herself. Truly one of the greatest of the great. Her technique together with her speed is unparalleled. There is absolutely no sign that her combo loop jumps are prerotated. She jumps as soon as she lands combos. How many do that?

One extremely other point is her Inverted Camel Spin. It's not a question of flexibility. It's a lot of hard work to get it into that position. Her back is totally parallel to the ice! It should be a Level 8, and does it spinning.

The Giselles Praise to be they both used the essence of the main character in the story! But both used different cuts. Yukari concentrated on the on the wholesome ingenue while Miki worked on the Mad Scene. Both did well! If you've never seen Giselle, I would suggest you see if when you get a chance. Neither skater did the 'spooky' Giselle. It would be difficult to do so and without Albrecht look silly. It might make a good Pairs routine. Wilson, are you reading me?

The rest of the battle, I leave to whom ever you think deserved the Tech points as well as the interpretation of the music. I would go with Yukari but i would not have any problem if you chose Miki.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker

Yuna didn't look like gained any weight at all, she looked very sharp and in good shape as always.

feraina

Record Breaker
One extremely other point is her Inverted Camel Spin. It's not a question of flexibility. It's a lot of hard work to get it into that position. Her back is totally parallel to the ice! It should be a Level 8, and does it spinning.

It is a very nice looking spin. Yu-na doesn't have an especially flexible back and can't do very elaborate laybacks, but she does this camel spin well. Caroline also used it the season before last (she added it mid-season), with similar changes of positions. But Yu-na looks stronger, somehow, maybe because she does it in every program, while Caroline just pops it in once in a while.

And yes, there *is* Ashley Wagner, who looked quite the maturing young lady at Liberty Open this past summer. Maybe Priscilla Hills can do wonders with her and give her skating more of a star quality that'll woo the judges and audiences. But speaking of 3-3's, she doesn't have a reliable one either. I seem to recall that it was always downgraded internationally last season whenever she tried.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Yuna didn't look like gained any weight at all, she looked very sharp and in good shape as always.
I was going with skinny. If she put on weight - I don't want to remember how she looked with less weight.

feraina

Record Breaker
Yu-na, if anything, looks to be thinner and taller to me, also stronger. She really looks like a young lady now, not a little girl anymore. I loved the way she carries herself. I think she's skating much more exquisitely and elegantly than she ever did before. I think both of her programs this year are great, and will grow on me over time.

fourclover

On the Ice
Umm, if it becomes a slight inside edge as she leaves, than it's not a LIP because a lip involves in outside edge... taking off with only the slightest inside edge is considered textbook technique.

She didn't get as huge of GOE for her combo/jumps as she use to get, and I think she was hit for that one spin too. Plus, a popped jump cost her five points too.

Oooops, I meant slight OUTSIDE edge (but no more than 5 degrees) just as her blade leaves the ice. It's a tricky call which is why it's not an obvious LIP and therefore should not get an edge call. I've seen obvious LIPs from Kimmie and Miki before and Yu-na's questionable flip is nowhere near that.

lmarie086

Medalist
Icenetwork has pictures up now.
Really like Yu-Na's; much improved over costumes from last year. Although I wish they'd chosen a more flattering picture of her...It does remind me of MK's Scherezade dress.
Rachel Flatt; do both of them have to be blue?
Kimmie-The one sleeve thing was odd, but it still seems more flattering on her than anything Pam Gregory put her in.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Don't jinx her. ;)

I love Kimmie but I'm afraid it's over for her. We've held out hope for her quite often enough as it is. The idea that she'll make the Olympics is just laughable to me. I don't know if her heart is elsewhere...she obviously can do the jumps in practice, so I'm not sure what's the problem.

Kimmie herself has said that she is on the "two year plan" with regards to her jumps. You just don't fix the kind of issues that she had overnight. It is hard enough to correct them in practice, but then to have to do them in a program in front of a crowd with all those nerves, it takes a while. Did anyone really think that she was going to show up at SA 100% fixed? I like the improvements that she has made, and I think she is headed in the right direction. Its just going to take time. At any rate, I liked her the best of the US ladies here at SA. Rachael is a good skater, but I cannot stand her posture. It really makes her skating almost unwatchable. And Mirai is so overrated, it is laughable. I'm so sick of her "look at me, I'm so cute," act that she thinks is "presentation." Its not. Its annoying. I like Kimmie's clean, simple style, even if her jumps aren't totally fixed.

CalebsMom

Rinkside
With all her minor faults, Ms. Kim is soooo special in figure skating. Nothing seems to bother her except, occasionally, herself. Truly one of the greatest of the great. Her technique together with her speed is unparalleled. There is absolutely no sign that her combo loop jumps are prerotated. She jumps as soon as she lands combos. How many do that?

The Giselles Praise to be they both used the essence of the main character in the story! But both used different cuts. Yukari concentrated on the on the wholesome ingenue while Miki worked on the Mad Scene. Both did well! If you've never seen Giselle, I would suggest you see if when you get a chance. Neither skater did the 'spooky' Giselle. It would be difficult to do so and without Albrecht look silly. It might make a good Pairs routine. Wilson, are you reading me?

The rest of the battle, I leave to whom ever you think deserved the Tech points as well as the interpretation of the music. I would go with Yukari but i would not have any problem if you chose Miki.

from ladies' SP thread: YuNa skates with such speed and abandon. She deserves a bonus for her non-stop approach to the elements.

I can't agree more with you. BTW, have I ever told you that I always love to read your posts? :thumbsup:

ks777

Record Breaker
Oooops, I meant slight OUTSIDE edge (but no more than 5 degrees) just as her blade leaves the ice. It's a tricky call which is why it's not an obvious LIP and therefore should not get an edge call. I've seen obvious LIPs from Kimmie and Miki before and Yu-na's questionable flip is nowhere near that.

Now we know Beklac and forclover were the same person. I knew it.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Icenetwork has pictures up now.
Really like Yu-Na's; much improved over costumes from last year. Although I wish they'd chosen a more flattering picture of her...It does remind me of MK's Scherezade dress.
Rachel Flatt; do both of them have to be blue?
Kimmie-The one sleeve thing was odd, but it still seems more flattering on her than anything Pam Gregory put her in.

For some reason I cannot click on any of the pictures, it was working a minute ago....Now its working

I actually liked Kimmies dress. And no I do not think that this is the end of Kimmies career, in can only go up from here.

Last edited: