Ladies Short - Results | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short - Results

R.D.

Record Breaker
JOHIO2 said:
Come on y'all.....as a firm follower of that great Yankee philosopher, Yogi Berra, I'd like to point out the true axiom: The game ain't over 'til it's over. And the game doesn't take place until February. Lots of time for all kinds of things to happen twixt now and then. Crowning Irina may turn out to be correct and it might not. Let's enjoy the ride up to the game and then watch the game.

Easier said than done. :laugh:

But well said, though.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
It's only three points. And come on, she's still 7 POINTS away from the second best scores of the year. She'll still very much in it at this pace.

Of course, the bad news could be...she peaked at COC...:eek: that wouldn't be too good.

Correction, 5 points. Both Asada and Ando have scored 62.xx this year, and we have not seen the best from Cohen, Arakawa without cheating her jumps and getting some counted as doubles, or what Kwan can do yet. Presumably those people at their best could only go further beyond that 62.xx score. Sorry I am just a paranoid Irina fan, I am just wondering if she had the same kind of skate she did as COC, if she did I am happy, I hope she didnt have a lesser skate.

R.D.

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Correction, 5 points. Both Asada and Ando have scored 62.xx this year, and we have not seen the best from Cohen, Arakawa without cheating her jumps and getting some counted as doubles, or what Kwan can do yet. Presumably those people at their best could only go further beyond that 62.xx score. Sorry I am just a paranoid Irina fan, I am just wondering if she had the same kind of skate she did as COC, if she did I am happy, I hope she didnt have a lesser skate.

My bad - I was looking at the scores from this competition.

You're right that we have not seen the best from the others. But if I was an Irina fan, I would sit tight and confident. The one thing that would worry me is whether she's pacing herself and isn't waiting for a crash at the end. She's hot now, but can she maintain that heat when it counts? That's the question that Irina fans should be asking themselves.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
My bad - I was looking at the scores from this competition.

You're right that we have not seen the best from the others. But if I was an Irina fan, I would sit tight and confident. The one thing that would worry me is whether she's pacing herself and isn't waiting for a crash at the end. She's hot now, but can she maintain that heat when it counts? That's the question that Irina fans should be asking themselves.

I read on the fsu boards that her spins were not as good as COC, I am assuming that is why her score on the TES might have been lower.

Irina will be under alot of pressure in Turin. She will be under alot of the same pressure as Kwan, to win the biggest prize after an outstanding career, also will have alot of pressure being the favorite this time, not just a co-favorite maybe like 2002, but THE favorite, and pressure from the Russian federation who badly want a golden sweep and a Russian ladies Champion. It actually might be best for her if one of the Russian loses before she skates, so hopefully Beblin/
Agosta and Shen/Zhou can find their way to Turin somehow, and 1 of 2 the two can spring an upset to take away some of the golden sweep pressure from Irina.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
You can't say it's in decline. No matter how good you are you can't give a "performance of a lifetime" every time. As Red Dog says, if 67 points is her norm, with the 70-point performace at Cup of China as the spike, she's in great shape.

MM :)

Yeah you are probably right. If 67 is her norm I will be happy, and if 70 was just an unusually inspired performance I am happy with that too. I just hope it isnt a sign she is already starting a slip downards.

wvgal57

On the Ice
I don't think Irina had an "off day" at all, nor is she on a decline. This program is chocked full of highly difficult technical elements. I don't know if anyone could skate it 100% perfect at all times.

I actually think the program content itself has improved since China, I don't think Irina was emotionally vested in it today as much as in China and I think it caused her to lose concentration at a couple points.

Her jumps were actually much better here than COC .. the flow in and out was superb, control to the inth degree. The backwards spiral exit on the double axel looks better as well..

She flubbed up her layback, the other elements were quite good, her speed was exceptional and her camel spin is a thing of beauty.. The spiral sequence was fast, the change of edge was really deep and the back spiral I thought was better than first outing.

She's changed the footwork and added some stuff to it, lunges, turns etc but it looked to me like she was really having to feel her way through it as well...I don't know that she sold it as well as the original and she was one beat behind at the end of the footwork.

The spins were not as precise, tight or "in control" as China and I think this is where she lost the ground on the technical.

This music is very repetitive in nature it is quite hypnotic and requires precise movement and speed to keep the it all flowing. I think Irina's already made a signature piece out of it..

This week is the one year anniversary of her mother in laws death and I hear she has had an emotional week.

slutskayafan21 said:
It actually might be best for her if one of the Russian loses before she skates, so hopefully Beblin/Agosto and Shen/Zhou can find their way to Turin somehow, and 1 of 2 the two can spring an upset to take away some of the golden sweep pressure from Irina.
Hongbo's chances of recovering in time to be in top form at Turino: Slim....none.

Tanith and Ben's chances of beating Navka and Kostamorov: Snowball's...H*ll.

MM

Wvgal, thanks for the informative and balanced report. I can't wait to see the performance!

Mathman :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A person who was at the event said that Irina did not look like herself and thought she might not have been feeling her very best.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
Hongbo's chances of recovering in time to be in top form at Turino: Slim....none.

Tanith and Ben's chances of beating Navka and Kostamorov: Snowball's...H*ll.

MM

Sadly you are probably right on both counts.:cry:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
wvgal57 said:
I don't think Irina had an "off day" at all, nor is she on a decline. This program is chocked full of highly difficult technical elements. I don't know if anyone could skate it 100% perfect at all times.

I actually think the program content itself has improved since China, I don't think Irina was emotionally vested in it today as much as in China and I think it caused her to lose concentration at a couple points.

Her jumps were actually much better here than COC .. the flow in and out was superb, control to the inth degree. The backwards spiral exit on the double axel looks better as well..

She flubbed up her layback, the other elements were quite good, her speed was exceptional and her camel spin is a thing of beauty.. The spiral sequence was fast, the change of edge was really deep and the back spiral I thought was better than first outing.

She's changed the footwork and added some stuff to it, lunges, turns etc but it looked to me like she was really having to feel her way through it as well...I don't know that she sold it as well as the original and she was one beat behind at the end of the footwork.

The spins were not as precise, tight or "in control" as China and I think this is where she lost the ground on the technical.

This music is very repetitive in nature it is quite hypnotic and requires precise movement and speed to keep the it all flowing. I think Irina's already made a signature piece out of it..

This week is the one year anniversary of her mother in laws death and I hear she has had an emotional week.

Thanks for the information.

I am sure it is an emotional day for Irina as well.

Kasey

Medalist
wvgal57 said:

I agree with what you said except for this. It WAS an off day when she has a slip on a spin and doesn't have the emotional energy invested in the program. I am sure her emotions are really ragged right now, it is understandable, and she still blew away a field that could contend with her (although not as strong as CoC was). There is nothing wrong, no weakness, about having an "off day".

jesslily

Final Flight
I am in US, but I still have to wait till it shows at ESPN. Before I watch the competition on TV, I don't know anything about how every body was doing. During this busy holiday season, it's hard to remember the time. I missed the Cup of China long program due to putting lights in my yard.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I hope that nobody is taking my comments that Irina was "off" compared to COC to be "depressing" news. IMO, she was SO on at COC that I would never expect the same performance in a "total picture" sense each and every time.

Her program was great relative to other skaters we've seen so far this season.

I appreciate the feedback about the more subtle details where Irina has improved since COR. That all bodes well for her, and I am excited to watch her as the rest of the season unfolds. There are many skaters I'm sure, who WISH they could have such an "off" day as Irina.

I'm very sorry for Irina that this is an anniversary week for the loss of her MIL.

Her tough, "day by day" approach is an inspiration.

DG

CDMM1991

Medalist
Beautiful costume on Poykio. Horrible hairdo though. What happened to the neat, classic bun?