Lambiel will be back | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Lambiel will be back

nylynnr

On the Ice
Hopefully Lambiel is making the right decision not competing again internationally prior to Europeans. A guy like Plushenko, who is obviously already brimming with confidence, I can see reducing his competitions, but he's virtually the only one I would have thought operated best with fewer outings.

shine

Record Breaker
I'll be crushed if he changes his long.... Why would he??? It's a masterpiece.

a

Hopefully Lambiel is making the right decision not ccompeting again internationally prior to Europe ans. A guy like Plushenko, who is obviously already brimming with confidence, I can see reducinortg his comispetitions, but he's virtually the only one I would have thought operated best with fewer outings.
He's my guy! If I am permitted to compare and contrast, I would say it is a question of his Quad combo which a healthy Stefane used to do with that soft bent knee landing. So dance like! Evgeni has the height which, unfortunately is included in the GoEs and there Evgeni has him. Also Evgeni has improved his spins but they are not wow special, but at least worthy of base value. Apparently Stefane has body problems which would hamper his wow sitzspins so Plush may have an advantage here. Neither can do anything with a camelspin. One has to look to Brian for the classic camel spin, believe it or not.

I've never been taken by Plush's footwork, but his adoring fans ate it up. Now that he is using his fingers, I'm even less impressed. On the other hand, Stefane's musical Spanish footwork together with his body language steals the show.

Just musing on these two venerable competitors.[/] It's almost worth a trip to Europe.

antmanb

Record Breaker
He's my guy! If I am permitted to compare and contrast, I would say it is a question of his Quad combo which a healthy Stefane used to do with that soft bent knee landing. So dance like! Evgeni has the height which, unfortunately is included in the GoEs and there Evgeni has him.

Not necessarily Joe - "superior flow" on the landing is a bullet in the GOE which Stephane's soft bent landing knee produces so I think they would be fairly equal if they both land them.

Also Evgeni has improved his spins but they are not wow special, but at least worthy of base value. Apparently Stefane has body problems which would hamper his wow sitzspins so Plush may have an advantage here. Neither can do anything with a camelspin. One has to look to Brian for the classic camel spin, believe it or not.

I disagree I think Evgeni has a lovely camel spin (as does Joubert) - the position is great. Stephane does struggle to get his leg to hip height though.

Ant

e

Not necessarily Joe - "superior flow" on the landing is a bullet in the GOE which Stephane's soft bent landing knee produces so I think they would be fairly equal if they both land them.
Thanks Ant - I didn't realize it is part of the bullets. But as in the 6.0 system one wonders if it is reflected in the score.

[QUOTEI disagree. I think Evgeni has a lovely camel spin (as does Joubert) - the position is great. Stephane does struggle to get his leg to hip height though.
Ant[/QUOTE]

Evgeni does follow the rules of the definitions of the elements, as do all Russian skaters, but I also look for performance. He is not up there with Butryskaya's gorgeous camel position, but few are, including most ladies. Plush's camel is adequate, and I agree, Stefane's is less than adequate JMO.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
This may belong in a separate thread, but I think it is interesting that the major international excitement this year, in the men's category, seems to be about the returning veterans. There is also a lot of excitement in the pairs category, about the return of Shen and Zhao. I am not sure what this means, but I think that being a veteran competitor gives one a kind of confidence on the ice that nothing else can give.

As to Stephane and Yevgeny, to me Stephane has been the superior spinner, while Yevgeny has been the superior jumper--very simple.

Binthere

On the Ice
Brian for the classic camel spin? To me the "classic" camel spins came from the likes of John Curry, Robin Cousins or Paul Wylie. Brians' make me cringe and the shorter in duration his camels or spirals, the better. Brian has plenty of awesome strengths but the camel/spiral position is definitely not one of them.

Broian for the classic camel spin? To me the "classic" camel spins came from the likes of John Curry, Robin Cousins or Paul Wylie. Brians' make me cringe and the shorter in duration his camels or spirals, the better. Brian has plenty of awesome strengths but the camel/spiral position is definitely not one of them.
Thank you for your reply, but Curry and Cousins come from another era which, indeed, knew the correct position of the free leg in a camel spin. Sorry, I did not go back in time. And I did not mean number of rotations and speed - just the free leg position.

Check out Brian's position next time we see him skate. We may need a skating definition to work on. I believe both shoulders of the skater should be parallel to the ice as well as the torso. The free foot and knee of the free leg should be turned out with toes pointing upward. Much easier to do on skates, imo, than balancing on the floor. Of course there are variations to this, but I just mentioned 'in the classic sense'.

Skaters, I find, tend to throw their hip out of place so the spiral (arabasque) free leg can zoom higher. Similarly, the camel free leg also.

(There are many reasons why I do not associate Figure Skating with ballet.)

KayMil01

On the Ice
Oh Stephane! I hope his injury can stay under control and that he isn't hurting too badly. I really want to see him at the Olympics! he's my fav skater.

As for a new LP, I believe his coach was trying to convince Stephane to change his LP. Myabe he gave in? *shrug* I like his Tango program, so I hope he keeps it.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who doesn't really like Lambiel's tango LP? I mean, I love Lambiel but his LP this season is my least favourite of every LP he's done since Chocolat.

Wicked

Final Flight
Am I the only one who doesn't really like Lambiel's tango LP? I mean, I love Lambiel but his LP this season is my least favourite of every LP he's done since Chocolat.

I like this LP, but I thought it was much better as an ex skate. He had to take out quite a bit of choreo in order to add more jumps.

Lambiel looks good with any music from Vivaldi to whomever. very talented musical skater.

I wonder if West Side Story would suit him. Snapping those fingers, picking up speed with Tonight, ready for a rumble with the Jets? I'd love to see it.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
new stephan article, and google translation

he says he is in pain in training:no:... cant do all spins because of that...
and maybe he might change his long after nationals?
When this comeback was first announced, I wrote this:
...my main concern is that his ambition in this case is not in his best interest medically. I would hate to see him jeopardize his health, esp. since he's not pain-free at this time and will have to do really intense training to be ready for the season. Of all the announced comebacks, this one worries me the most. It would be awful for him to go out there and cause the kind of damage to his hip/knee that would impact him not just on the ice, like what happened with Yagudin. What is left for Stephane to prove?
I still feel this way. Much as I admire Stephane's skating, and even though I missed him when he was away last season, I don't like this. There's a difference between pushing through the pain that is part of every elite athlete's training and between risking serious and permanent damage, and in an Olympic year, I fear some people may push too far. :no:

Oh, and Joubert really does have a great camel spin.

Last edited: