Let's focus on the GOOD of this Olympic competition--share here! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Let's focus on the GOOD of this Olympic competition--share here!

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Man, this thread is suddenly in need of joy.

FMCuOcRakAQDH4J

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Then why are you posting in the "Let's Focus on the GOOD" thread with snark (they didn't die) and two good items bookended by a litany of complaints?

Don't you think that's rather passive-aggressive?
I think my original comment was light-hearted. Who did you feel like that or my reply to your comment was passive-aggressive towards? I mean, is general criticism of an event passive-aggressive to you?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few more really, really bright spots for me:

Nathan Chen. Everything. His skating, his joy, his excellence, his generous and polite answers to all questions. He's an incredible human being.

Mariah Bell. She chose to go with what she could do well, with heart, soul, passion, intensity. A gorgeous FS, and SP too, IMO, tho' with a flaw.

Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue. Both programs. So emotional, technically risky, powerful -- they own their space and own the rink --and the feeling that they give me of being so grateful to have skated with each other all these years.

Madison Chock and Evan Bates. Billie Eilish RD??? An astronaut and an alien??? They made everything work. They have such creativity and fun.

Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara. They really came through in the FS with a true Olympic skate. So joyful, passionate and true.

I already said, but Ashley Cain-Gribble and Timothy Leduc created a fabulous Olympic moment in the SP, and skated mostly great in the FS.

Mark Kondratiuk. Again, passionate skating. And the quote from him earlier in this thread! So wonderful.

Anna Shcherbakova. Her artistry, her delivery every time, the fact that she's such a rock as a competitor. And A+ for beautiful behavior.

Another good thing: I like that the gold medals in the individual events were won by skaters from four different countries.

And finally, I was so grateful that the Pairs Event was last. The SP was great, the FS too. That event lifted the pall.

Magill

Record Breaker
To go back to the original question which was, as I seem to recall, about the best interactions between skaters or skaters and coaches from these Games:

1. Alysa Liu's fairy stylist team.
2. Yuzuru's heartfelt congratulations to Nathan on his OGM (and to other competitors as well).
3. Nathan and Sasha T. always rooting for each other in the spirit of the true quadders' solidarity.
4. All the pairs' medalists congratulating and hugging each other just after the results were announced.
5. Ever so nice and friendly vibe in the Men's green room throughout the competition (no drama attitude noted and highly appreciated!).
6. Oh, and Mark K. saving Yuzuru from an accident during their warm-up! Bravo!

I would usually sort of take these things for granted but. as it is now, I think they need to be much more stressed, highlighted and appreciated:clap:. So thank you so much for starting this thread! Balm to our souls! :)

Last edited:

lopesgw

Rinkside
To go back to the original question which was, as I seem to recall, about the best interactions between skaters or skaters and coaches from these Games:

1. Alysa Liu's fairy stylist team.
2. Yuzuru's heartfelt congratulations to Nathan on his OGM (and to other competitors as well).
3. Nathan and Sasha T. always rooting for each other in the spirit of the true quadders' solidarity.
4. All the pairs' medalists congratulating and hugging each other just after the results were announced.
5. Ever so nice and friendly vibe in the Men's green room throughout the competition (no drama attitude noted and highly appreciated!).
6. Oh, and Mark K. saving Yuzuru from an accident during their warm-up! Bravo!

I would usually sort of take these things for granted but. as it is now, I think they need to be much more stressed, highlighted and appreciated:clap:. So thank you so much for starting this thread! Balm to our souls! :)

I think we ALL needed the chance to share all these encouraging and beautiful moments!!!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am told that from the entire American contingent, Brown was the only one to applaud after Trusova’s skate. If so, he gets points for sportsmanship.
Jason is just a very special person. Remember how kind he was to Evgenia Medvedeva when they were newbies training at the Cricket Club.

For those who have never had the good fortune to meet Jason in person, he's the same lovely, kind, effusive person. He actually stood up and hugged every single person in the line when they reached him (for autograph signing/ meet and greet after an event). U.S. fed officials had to enlist Adam to drag Jason off the ice away from fans after a victory ceremony at the same event. Jason was trying his best to sign as many autographs, shake hands, hug, and speak to all the fans standing at rink side. He couldn't tear himself away from giving of himself to his fans, even after all he'd given to us during his performances that evening!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, that didn't last long.
She is one of my favorite pair ladies; I am withholding judgment until all the information is in — and probably after!!

lopesgw

Rinkside
Yes, she had nothing prepared including a dress!
I know, wasn't that amazing?! I'm sure it will be one of her most special memories of the whole Olympics!
Jason is just a very special person. Remember how kind he was to Evgenia Medvedeva when they were newbies training at the Cricket Club.

For those who have never had the good fortune to meet Jason in person, he's the same lovely, kind, effusive person. He actually stood up and hugged every single person in the line when they reached him (for autograph signing/ meet and greet after an event). U.S. fed officials had to enlist Adam to drag Jason off the ice away from fans after a victory ceremony at the same event. Jason was trying his best to sign as many autographs, shake hands, hug, and speak to all the fans standing at rink side. He couldn't tear himself away from giving of himself to his fans, even after all he'd given to us during his performances that evening!

My son and I had the same experience at the Skating Spectacular in San Diego… and my son recognized him at Hamilton a couple of years ago and went up and had a wonderful extended conversation with him as the theater emptied:)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My son and I had the same experience at the Skating Spectacular in San Diego… and my son recognized him at Hamilton a couple of years ago and went up and had a wonderful extended conversation with him as the theater emptied:)

Thanks for sharing. ❤️ Even at my advanced age, I want to be adopted by Jason's parents, and by his whole family!!!!! :ghug: