Look at the Olympic Medals! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Look at the Olympic Medals!

Eeyora

Final Flight
Those are hideous. I always felt sorry for the Sarejevo medalists with those awful square looking things.

ATW27

On the Ice
I agree with the person who said they look like metal washers hung on a ribbon. Oh well, an Olympic metal is still and Olympic metal, no matter what It looks like, right?

Andy W.

Last edited:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Ladskater said:
They look like doughnuts to me. I hope the 2010 games to be held here in Vancouver, BC come up with something nicer. Oh yea, I forgot we did choose the Inookshook for our Olympic emblem! Heaven help us.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/en

Aw, I always thought inookshooks were neat. I built one out of rocks in our garden (pointing north, of course.) My parents thought it was a bit mental, but I suspect they think I'm a little off the beam in general. And that is by far not the weirdest Olympic emblem/mascot I've ever seen. Some of them I just don't understand.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I still love the Albertville medals with crystal in the middle. Very pretty and big too! The Nagano ones were nice too.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
I did like the Nagano ones best...

CLO_155_MEDIUM.jpg

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
They're just WEIRD lookin'. And beyond that, for some reason, to me, anyway, they look like they weigh about 100 pounds each. "No, I didn't mean to have my head down during the anthem, I just couldn't lift my neck".... I can just see Qing Pang falling right off the podium step as soon as they put it around her neck, if her and Jian Tong win one.......:laugh:

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
I don't like them lol! Of course, that being said, I'd still be thrilled if I was an athlete and won one of em ;)

The Nagano medals were the best ones ever ;)

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I like the medals. The only thing I don't like is the ribbon. I think it would look better if the ribbon was attached at the top rather than looped through it of takes away from the purity of the shape. I'm not to keen on the ribbon font either

Here is a site where you can see all the medals from the past games (also the emblem, torch, mascot etc)
Just click on Olympic Games on the left, then choose which Olympics you want to view from the list in the center (or by clicking on it in the timeline). The medal will be displayed in the bar on the right where you can click to view it larger.

http://www.olympic.org/uk/index_uk.asp

Vash01

Medalist
I don't like them at all. They don't look like medals. I don't like the hole in the middle. Still, for those who win them it won't be an issue.

Vash

Mafke

Medalist
Looking at past olympic medals, I couldn't help noticing how much more creative thought seems to go into the Winter medals than the summer ones, all of which look interchangeable, like big coins.

Looking at the medals, the first hint of real creativity was 68 Grenoble (with pictograms?) followed by Sapporo 72 the first radical departure from form (which has aged well, I think) 76 and 80 had kind of traditional boring medals
Sarajevo 84 revived the idea of the non-traditional medal with the circle in a square (I like them if no one else does, it highlights the round shape of the medal no matter what the background is unlike medals that fade away against what the wearer's clothes)
Calgary 88 was the last stand of the traditional medal with the ugliest of the lot, it looks like an overgrown slot machine token, the only one that looks really ... vulgar.
Albertville 92 was daring and creative, if not the most practical (what do you expect from the French?) and the granite disc inside the Lillehammer 94 medals lent a nice gravitas and dignity to them (the only medals that look nicer the longer you look at them)
The Nagano 98 medals look like a spin off toy from some Japanese cartoon (Gorudu disuku man?). I know some people like them, but I find them a little precious.
I appreciate the idea behind SLC 02 more than the final product, if they wanted to make them look like stones they should have been more irregular than they were (maybe embedding round medals into actual stones?)
In this regard, I like the Turin 06 medals, evocative of the olympic rings rather than a souvenir big coin and I really like the ribbon tied around them, spontaneous yet elegant Italian style.

I like the olympics less every one that comes around, so I wish that the figure skating would adopt this approach to its worlds medals, unique one of a kind innovative medals rather than the cookie cutter approach.

jesslily

Final Flight
They look like ancient coins. It's good to have a change. The value of the medalists won't be affected by the look of the medals.

I think they should choose one classic retro design (ancient Greek looking) and stick to it every year. This would emphasize the only thing the Olympics really has going for it -- tradition.

MM :)