Lysacek out of Grand Prix; at odds with USFS | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Lysacek out of Grand Prix; at odds with USFS

KKonas

Medalist
Civility is apparently lost in this thread. To equate Evan as a 3-year old throwing a temper tantrum is ridiculous. Evan is an Olympic champion, a very hard worker, a talented skater and deserves respect for his achievements. No one really here really knows what the "negotiations" for his appearance at Skate America entailed or how it all came about. Most top skaters do ask for appearance fees, so it is not a rare occurrence.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evan needs to ride off in the sunset with is OGM and call it a day. Even with the US men rebuilding they are soon going to leave him in the dust especially with these young skaters coming up like Jason Brown and Joshua Farris. Heck Evan couldn't even beat Jeremy Abbott in the last two Nationals he competed in.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Somehow I feel it's much more calculated than a toddler's tantrum. "Cute" has never occurred to me.

If it was a calculated act, that could be called evil. Playing with public and give them hope that he'd show up and then finds any excuse to withdraw just to stire up the media? I hope not.

Both sides ought to be blamed but somehow I have sympathy on USFSA. I don't think they wanted to cut off Lysacek. There must have been a huge gap, too big to fill, between what USFSA was willing to give and what Lysacek demanded.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Civility is apparently lost in this thread. To equate Evan as a 3-year old throwing a temper tantrum is ridiculous. Evan is an Olympic champion, a very hard worker, a talented skater and deserves respect for his achievements. No one really here really knows what the "negotiations" for his appearance at Skate America entailed or how it all came about. Most top skaters do ask for appearance fees, so it is not a rare occurrence.

Many highly successful people are very capable of throwing temper tantrums, in private or in public. Some are cute, some not so much.

An example is Nicholai Krusshchev's alleged shoe-banging incident at the UN. Whether or not he banged his shoe, he did display an uncontrolled anger. One may even call Jesus' outrage at a place of worship a temper tantrum, as righteous as it was.

Metaphorical temper tantrums like what Bluebonnet alluded to are even more common.

eta. We have also seen enough pouting and rejection of honour at the podium by Worlds and Olympics medalistls in various sports including figure skating. These are tantrums by some of the best athletes in the world.

Bluebonnet said:
If it was a calculated act, that could be called evil. Playing with public and give them hope that he'd show up and then finds any excuse to withdraw just to stire up the media? I hope not.

I didn't mean "calculated" like that. I meant it wasn't an impromptu reactive decision. Even if one were to interpret Evan's behaviour very negatively and call it egotistical or greedy, it would still be far from evil.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

I have to agree with your post but then again you should know by now that on figure skating boards there are a lot of snarky remarks, out right rude comments, misstatements and speculation posted about skaters along with a wealth of information and facts posted by folks. Ya gotta take the good with the bad. lol

I just take it with a grain of salt and a chuckle because a lot of posts are pure speculation or an opinion regarding the facts as presented to the public and I know that.

jcoates

Medalist
This has turned from a somewhat thoughtful discussion of Evan's withdrawal into a venomous "I hate everything about Evan and wish him nothing but harm" thread. It's pretty sad and a poor commentary on hall participants. I thought with the time that had passed since the last Olympics this sort of thing would have dissipated and the people would have grown up. I'm very disappointed to see how wrong I was.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^^ I don't see anybody wishing Evan any harm, or expressing a hatred for everything about Evan. Not yet anyway. Just speculations, interpretations, as well as criticisms and defenses. The usual. Not so venomous, yet.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Ruminating on this, it feels like a strange turn of events. Maybe I overanalyze everything, but the way this was handled is really circumspect, particularly since I viewed Lysacek as someone who went out of his way to work with his federation. When Wier’s persona was getting too difficult for the USFSA to handle, he was the alternative. So while withdrawing doesn’t particularly bother me, the digs – both in the Hersh article and the twitter comment, surprised me

“That’s bold,” Lysacek said of the promotion. “The reason I haven’t made any grand statements about coming back and being there is because I don’t want to be the one responsible for anyone’s disappointment. All I have said, even to them (the federation), is that I am training, and I would like to be in shape for it.

Uhh, no. It’s not bold for the hosts to use those who are slated to compete in their advertising. At all. Bold would be Trophee Eric Bompard, which is using past competitors who aren’t NECESSARILY slated to compete (Samuelson/Bates, Takahiko Kozuka) to advertise, and even that doesn’t bother me (Lysacek does not feature in the advertisement, though – he’s never competed at TEB and apparently isn’t viewed as a draw for the French crowd, which made me laugh a little).

Nor does it bother me for Evan to ask for an appearance fee of some sort and/or funding (if that is indeed what he did). Let’s be clear – I think having a home-nation Olympic champion show-up at your event will boost ticket sales. I think the Federation knows that, and furthermore, he does as well. The Federation stands to make more money if he says he’s going to show up. I won’t deny it, if I were him, I’d probably ask for an appearance fee too. We know Kwan did it, and it wouldn’t surprise me if Chan got one for SC 2009.

But the tweet/twit/twitter comment (this is the way the world ends...) seems unnecessary and even somewhat arrogant. If he does intend to compete anymore, doesn’t it make sense to try to remain on good terms with the federation? They might have to help him regardless because of his stature (my understanding is that he has a slot at Nationals – if he wants it – up until 2014, due to his stature as reigning Olympic medalist), but isn’t it better than to just say “you have to help me anyway, so I’ll be dismissive of you in public” (which is exactly how the comment reads to me).

More than that, I’m curious what this does to his future GP/Worlds/Olympics aspirations. At the end of this season, he’ll very likely fall out of the top 24 WR. He’s already used his “retirement/comeback” option to get back onto the GP series in the first place. Now, he’ll get a host pick (if he wants) anyway, so this might be moot, but it does seem like he’s damaging his ability to compete in the future.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I'm sorry that my little light-hearted, at the time I thought was harmless, remark has offended some people.

Why should we be so serious on subjects about Lysacek while not serious on many other skaters? That's one thing I don't understand.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think ImaginaryPogue made some very good points....from Evan's point of view, he's thinking about Sochi but is unsure. I assume but dont know that He is spending lots of his bucks on his coach and staff, Ice time, etc. keeping his edge. If he is offered the GP circuit and is unsure, he pretty much told us so, unlike what the USFSA told us. I dont know beans about the USFSA financing of athletes, but I do know that the cost of training, travel for you and your coach, etc etc, plus time away from other ways of making bucks would be natural considerations figuring into the decision. Evan could have well made the GP final so there would have been three events to attend. Its easy for me to say that doing at least SA might give him some insite whether or not he still has the fire, at very little inconvieeance to himself. But I am not a skater and I am not Evan.

The more I think about it, the more I am looking askance at the USFSA, an organization I financially support. All I want is for them to be open and honest. To heck with the politics with NBC, et al. They dont even have to mention figures. Just say that Mr. L has agreed to have us enter his name but has not committed as we are in nogotiations over a level of financial support to insure his comeback to the ice. And there's another thing that kind of sticks in my craw, al be et a small point. I fly with the skaters in cattle class....the head of the USFSA I have walked past flying in first class....thats kind of like the heads of GM flying their corporate jets to congress with their hands out. Its bad enough to sometimes be treated as fans like second class citizens at events...but I dont want my dontations to be spent on wine instead of young skaters.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Ruminating on this, it feels like a strange turn of events. Maybe I overanalyze everything, but the way this was handled is really circumspect, particularly since I viewed Lysacek as someone who went out of his way to work with his federation. When Wier’s persona was getting too difficult for the USFSA to handle, he was the alternative. So while withdrawing doesn’t particularly bother me, the digs – both in the Hersh article and the twitter comment, surprised me
That was my reaction, too - for Evan Lysacek, the USFS's well-behaved golden boy, to be posting this sort of stuff seemed really weird. I don't recall even Johnny being that bold.

Uhh, no. It’s not bold for the hosts to use those who are slated to compete in their advertising. At all. Bold would be Trophee Eric Bompard, which is using past competitors who aren’t NECESSARILY slated to compete (Samuelson/Bates, Takahiko Kozuka) to advertise, and even that doesn’t bother me (Lysacek does not feature in the advertisement, though – he’s never competed at TEB and apparently isn’t viewed as a draw for the French crowd, which made me laugh a little).
I think that's more of a highlight reel/"previously on TEB" type thing, I didn't get the sense it's meant to advertise the skaters who are in the video - if that were the case, why use Samuelson/Bates, Zhang/Toth, or, if I'm not mistaken, Brodeur/Mattatall, none of whom are particularly high profile or still competing together? The only skaters actually named in the link are the French stars - Amodio, Joubert, and P/B.

I doubt Evan Lysacek would be considered much of a draw for the TEB crowd.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Looking at the Mens lineup at SA, I wonder if the USGSA put most of their eggs in Lysacek basket for drawing the crowd. Either Abbott or Rippon should interest more American fans than at least Mahbanoozadeh if not Dornbush. Were they so confident of Lysacek's participation?

waxel

Final Flight
Waxel

Evan will never seriously return to competitive skating. Don't expect to see him at Nationals either. Unless he sees the Men tanking during the earlier season, he might possible slide in and save the day for one more national title. But I don't think he's willing to put his celebrity in danger by failing. He's got his OGM. He doesn't really need anything else. 2 OGMs? Priceless. But doubftul

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Evan needs to ride off in the sunset with is OGM and call it a day. Even with the US men rebuilding they are soon going to leave him in the dust especially with these young skaters coming up like Jason Brown and Joshua Farris. Heck Evan couldn't even beat Jeremy Abbott in the last two Nationals he competed in.

Much more important is that Abbott as the National champion could not beat Evan at any Worlds and Olympics...

I have understood that Evan did not confirm his participation in Skate America, the matter was open all the time.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Much more important is that Abbott as the National champion could not beat Evan at any Worlds and Olympics...

I have understood that Evan did not confirm his participation in Skate America, the matter was open all the time.
The 2010 Nationals loss must have seemed important to Lysacek, considering he complained to the media about his scoring.

As for whether or not he was entered for this year's SA, if he was uncertain about doing the GP season, he could have asked the USFS to hold a TBA slot for him until he could finalize his participation, instead of asking for two assignments.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I think that's more of a highlight reel/"previously on TEB" type thing, I didn't get the sense it's meant to advertise the skaters who are in the video - if that were the case, why use Samuelson/Bates, Zhang/Toth, or, if I'm not mistaken, Brodeur/Mattatall, none of whom are particularly high profile or still competing together? The only skaters actually named in the link are the French stars - Amodio, Joubert, and P/B.

I doubt Evan Lysacek would be considered much of a draw for the TEB crowd.

I know, I just snickered at the idea of Zhang/Toth being more of a draw than Lysacek and had to mention it

I guess what I am most curious about is how much money Douglas Razzano gets for stepping in. :)

seniorita

Record Breaker

He could have kept a TBA position, anyone would speculate that it would be him or maybe not, but there wouldnt be any harm if he competed or not, and like Yuna and Plush he could have made an announcement later that he wouldnt participate in GP. Not that I really care but he by putting his name there he used the comeback right already in vain as someone else said. I m surprised of what he said on twitter, this is something maybe Weir would do.

Btw I understood why he wont participate at SA but for TEB the USA federation would pay the appearance fee or the French one? I have no idea how these things work. Actually when the Gps participation went out I was surprised he chose TEB, I dont remember him there ever before.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I guess what I am most curious about is how much money Douglas Razzano gets for stepping in. :)

:bow: to Mathman for so often expressing my thoughts in such succinct humour!

eta. Razzano calls this the best birthday gift ever given to him. I guess he's pretty glad USFSA did not ask him to pay entry fees. Did they?

Last edited: