Madison Chock & Evan Bates | Page 55 | Golden Skate

Madison Chock & Evan Bates

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Madi and Evan were simply amazing, delivering that stellar performance when the US team had lost emotional momentum. They managed to tweak the program and give it more emotional punch and build it to a climax better, too, I thought. Wow. Just wow!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Maddy and Evan on the Today Show:

dancelion21

On the Ice

More cute articles

Edit: Right now, Chock/Bates say they aren't retiring after this season. I think the answer has changed a bit throughout the season. Back in October, Madi said they were definitely sticking around, then sometime around December/January, it became that they would reevaluate at the end of the season. This People article has both of them saying they want to keep skating and explore other creative ideas.

Last edited:

dancelion21

On the Ice
Some more interviews from Madi and Evan

They may not have made it on the podium, but they performed a free dance to be proud of, and I think that they've successfully dusted the demons from PyeongChang, even if it didn't end in an individual medal.

In recent interviews, Madi and Evan have made it clear that they're not retiring at the end of the season. I find it hard to believe that they can skate all the way to 2026 when Evan will be 36 and Madi will be 33, but just skating for another season or two will still be amazing for them. I think they can definitely win a world title next season, as all of the teams on the podium will be retiring/taking an extended break at the end of this season.

dancelion21

On the Ice
Evan was quoted multiple times in this article about the US Figure skaters who appealed to CAS for a medal ceremony. It's paywalled, but here are a few things he said.

“It’s extremely disheartening to leave the Games empty-handed,” ice dance skater Evan Bates as he stood in a hall beneath the Capital Indoor Stadium stands.
The night before, Bates had been locked in his room at the Athletes’ Village, testifying by video to an ad hoc panel from the Court of Arbitration for Sport, one final chance for him — as the U.S. figure skating team captain — to force the International Olympic Committee to give the nine-member team its medals.

“My hope is that this is not taken as pressure around a medal,” said Zachary Donohue, another ice dancer. “There is going to be a medal at some point; that’s not my concern … There needs to be more decisive action taking against any kind of doping issue and protecting the integrity of the sport.”

Or as Bates said: “There are multiple things at play with the medal ceremony and then the bigger picture.”

Asked what those things are, he replied: “What’s been plaguing our sport for the last however many years.”

“I think it’s going to take awhile to get over this,” Bates said, his voice starting to crack. “And when we do get our medals, I’m not sure that will sufficiently cure the hurt that’s been caused to all the clean athletes who didn’t get their medal moment.”

It's very unfortunate that the one medal that Chock/Bates earned this Olympics will not be awarded for who knows how long.