Madison Chock & Evan Bates | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Madison Chock & Evan Bates

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Just watched another video with Ben Agosto commentary... He LOVED this SD as did I....!!!! :yahoo:. :love:
I was dancing along (as much as I am able.... lol!!!!).. :biggrin:. :palmf:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just watched another video with Ben Agosto commentary... He LOVED this SD as did I....!!!! :yahoo:. :love:
I was dancing along (as much as I am able.... lol!!!!).. :biggrin:. :palmf:

Is Ben doing the Oly Channel commentary?... I was dancing in my chair, even though I was half asleep...They look like they still need to get comfortable with this and get some mileage on it, but I really liked it (except for Maddie's costume). :dance3:

Kdiddy

Spectator
Olivia Millerschin

H/D's FD shows a lot of promise and I feel it's meant to cater to the supposed technical demands of a long Olympic program. C/B's seems to go another direction based on what they said they want their program to be _ deep, humanely thematic, etc. hence the music choice 'Imagine'. At first I thought, Sonia Leigh is the artist they contracted to do musical arrangement but, I think, it's the other artist with almost the same name_ Sonia Lee (she's of Ukrainian parentage) whose musical style suits perfectly Lennon's 'Imagine'. I can't wait to hear the musical arrangement. Sonia's not yet there popularity-wise but she has composed for some big names in the music industry. Here's one of her compositions _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp8TPatkBFQ

The female vocalist dueting with John Lennon is Detroit musician Olivia Millerschin. Her voice is incredible - I highly recommend you spend some time listening to her original music. You can check her out on Spotify and iTunes. It will be time well spent. Can't wait to see this program - I'm sure it's beautiful!

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Is Ben doing the Oly Channel commentary?... I was dancing in my chair, even though I was half asleep...They look like they still need to get comfortable with this and get some mileage on it, but I really liked it (except for Maddie's costume). :dance3:

Not sure if Ben is doing comments for the Olympic Channel but if he is I hope hope hope he continues; his delivery, knowledge and courtesy are superb. A post on page 25 of the COC SD thread referenced a You Tube contributor who has uploaded almost all of the competitions with commentary..
I actually love Maddie's dress more than any other I have seen in dance so far, tails excepted.. she should definitely lose those!!

musicfan80

Medalist
I actually love Maddie's dress more than any other I have seen in dance so far, tails excepted.. she should definitely lose those!!

Her dress is overall very nice - but those tails are horrific! They need to go - right away! :yes:

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yup I agree... Beautiful program, timely message.. comments were mostly positive, just mentioned speed and brackets from Evan.. costumes are divine. Sigh...:luv17:. :clap:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Madison and Evan for winning the Silver Medal.:clap: I just got caught up on the Ice Dance competition.
They have 2 great programs this season and their FD is divine, loved it. There are so many great programs from
the ice dancers this season, shame they will all be fighting for that third spot in Korea.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
just wanted to pop up here to congratulate Madison and Evan for their silver medal at CoC:), the only team that moved me deeply on personal/perception-wise level and left me with taste for more (which is a good sign I guess).

I have to say that I applaud their approach for both programs - they seem to go more for understated/quiet quality, creating a long-distance impact and build a momentum with both programs, instead of throwing all bullets at once in frenetic pace, lacing it all with vivid expression. Both programs suit them very good in my opinion - and are based on their great chemistry together, it just feels that they are stepping on ice not only to perform a program, but to also enjoy each other, this time of being together. I think that material is definitely appealing, with universal vibe/flare into it. As for SD, I am genuinely amazed how Evan managed to shine up there - and he seemed totally having a great time performing. I think once polish, speed and mileage will come, this SD will be magnetic (but Madison, ditch the swishing tail and fringe stuck randomly in half of your dress! Shorter, more skin on upper body shown and effective in movement).

As for FD, I allowed myself to re-post my thoughts from FD thread:

regardless of everything, just popped up to throw my few cents after re-watching Chock/Bates FD - I have to say that I'm honestly surprised that they did not score higher...Yes - the speed and overall polish were not yet there, but boy - have they one heck of impactful material and intrictate, flowy choreography on their hands. For me, this program perfectly balances the universality of message/song theme with individuality of their way of movement, style and expression; actually, seeing the performance as a whole, both factors seem to blend with each other, creating a compelling picture, engaging wholesome. I'm very surprised that they are looking so comfortable, natural and believable with such lyrical, abstract concept of a program, since I associate them with more dynamic, energetic stuff and expression - they seemed to really live up the music out there, like many of you already said, their chemistry is just fantastic: they are here not only to perform, but to be with each other and get through the performance TOGETHER.

I love how subtle, yet powerful transition are within the program - and everything going so well with the music, the rhythm. Love their lifts - especially last two (shoutout to them both, because they are doing one of the best lifts in entire business, Evan is so secure, swift and Madison has unique kind of consciousness in lifting that makes her finish her movement and make her expression so pleasant to watch). I see the thoughtfulness in creation of this piece to make them, their skill and connection to pop out, not relying only by the powerful message carried by the music - big shotout to Christoper Dean.

My impression of the whole 'feel' created by Madison and Evan's performance is being uplifted: by skating, by music, by strenght and powerfulness, their conviction radiating there. I personally felt them being inspired by the music, the movement, this dedication, engagement that they want to make it beautifully, to make it impactful,to move people by performance.

And the separate praise goes to Madison - I am glad that I got the chance to see that kind of program from her and Evan to fully understand and appreciate not only her performer's skill, but beyond amazing dancer's quality. I often mentioned speaking about them that she is very expressive and that this sometimes OTT expression does not allow me to fully appreciate her and Evan - now, she was able to exchange that expressiveness in her face into powerful expressiveness of her whole body, and I was stunned about it. The way she moves, accentuating subtely the music by hands, her elegant carriage, positions in lifts/spins, sublime quality of her upper body ovement in step sequences, control over body action and movement finishing - all just plain superb and easy to watch. Once the speed and mileage come, this will be a moment to remember.

humbaba

Final Flight
I love both of C/B’s programs this season. I was surprised by how well Imagine worked for the free dance. I had doubts about that music choice. The biggest shock was how well the voice-over worked. I generally hate voice-overs and was prepared to cringe at that part of the program. However, the voice-overs were well chosen, well placed and added to the effectiveness of the program. Sonia Lee did an excellent job with the FD music.

Random items of interest:

On Wednesday, November 8, Madison and Evan are scheduled to do a Reddit Ask Me Anything. It runs from 1-2 pm (EST) and is part of Reddit’s Olympic AMA series: https://redditblog.com/2017/07/19/reddit-announces-first-ever-olympic-ama-series/

Another tumbler page that has some nice photos and video snippets of Madi and Evan: https://campgold.tumblr.com/post/167196663865

Love these gifs from the end of their free dance:
http://us-ice-dance.tumblr.com/post/167125862561/myfriendamy-madison-chock-and-evan-batescup-of

A nice article that, among other things, reveals the meaning of Madison’s Hawaiian middle names (“sacred light from heaven” and “special, unique orchid”).
http://wavy.com/2017/10/11/who-are-madison-chock-and-evan-bates/

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I was too nervous to even look until today, but I should not have worried, that was a gorgeous free dance!

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Finally here to give my thoughts on Chock & Bates' new programs. The first thing is that seeing them skate together reminds me that they are my favorites. It was so nice to see them back on the ice again with new material that they've obviously worked hard on during the offseason.

SD - the score at CoC was a bit shocking, as it looked like a great performance, albeit a little tentative as they're not yet completely comfortable competing this program. But a closer inspection shows the PCS score is just fine and in line with other top teams (except VM and PC whom the judges seem to want to boost astronomically heading into the OGM showdown). That L2 on the midline really hurt, as did the L3 on the pattern and steps. I have no doubt that is the main focus right now, bringing those levels up. But overall, I really loved the music selection and the energy especially in the middle of the midline. I thought the slower section while they were transitioning into the pattern dance should have been more sensual, at least that's what I expected when I heard this piece of music. But, I did love this program very much and by the end of the season, this should be in top form. I loved the costumes, too, and Madi's dress didn't bother me at all. I loved the feathers and fringe when she moved.

FD - this looked much more competition-ready, though it will improve with time as well. I was *thrilled* with the choreo on this, it was so soft, gentle, and delicate, and the music edits were very effective, I thought (I was glad it wasn't a straight-up Lennon track the whole way through). The lifts are spectacular, as we knew they would be, and much of the choreo movement seemed new for them compared to past programs. This FD exactly what I was hoping for, as it really highlights their romantic relationship and connection. The build in the last step sequence was fantastic, and I absolutely loved the choreo flourishes to the accents of the music. This choreo fit much better than the choreo to Under Pressure, even though I did adore that program for them, too. That moment at the end of the FD was wonderful and felt so intimate between them. I hope they don't retire, but if this is the program they go out on, I'm satisfied (but please don't retire). Again, the PCS on this was fine, and the overall score should rise as they work on the technical side and put more mileage on this program. I absolutely adored these costumes!

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice

humbaba

Final Flight
I wonder if it's not happening because there's another athlete listed for today and no mention of Madi and Evan :(

https://www.reddit.com/user/TeamUSAOlympics

Yes. I'm wondering if it's been cancelled. I don't see anything about it on their twitter, instagrams or facebook page. Maybe they decided it would be too disruptive to their training. Their second grand prix is just a week and a half away. Considering time lost in travel back from China, then to France next week, they may have wanted to focus as much as possible on their training .